Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 Bypass Oil Filtering - Pre-Oil Filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restomodmusclecar, May 21, 2018.

1. Do you pre-oil a bypass filter? I always do on full filtration engines ( which 235 is not) If so what method do you use? The inlet is very small on the filter (1050 NAPA). Is it required to add the additional 1/2 quart the filter uses? -Thanks for the help

2. squirrel

squirrel

if the filter is dry, it will slowly fill up after you start the engine. The dry filter is not in line with the oil going to the rest of the engine, so there is no need to pre fill it. Just make sure to check the engine oil level after you get it running for a minute or two, as the oil level will go down.

3. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

I do just as described above.

When it comes time for an oil change the canister will not fully drain. Most canisters have a plug at the bottom you can pull. I use one of those suction tubes to clear the canister so I can inspect before I drop in the new filter.

[​IMG]

tractorguy likes this.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I serviced older cars with a filter change with bypass I was taught to put the filter in and add oil to it before putting on the top. It was never soaked full but was what the station owner wanted. After the engine ran a few minutes we would check the stick and add to full.

Road Runner and firstinsteele like this.
  5. I am installing a oil restrictor - 1/16 to ensure the volume is good, here's what it looks likes, thoughts?

2StrT39fQkiqMVpXPwPKbQ.jpg

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not knocking your path to the filter but I would have parrelleled the pan up the front of the block and then 90* over to the filter. I like to hide lines if I can. I've bent up a lot of coat hangers for templets. I learned by doing a lot of instrument lines at the power plants I worked at over 45 yrs. The way you did it will not need flex lines where mine would. I'm sure it will do the job well.

restomodmusclecar likes this.
  7. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

I just got a 61 Biscayne with a 235. No oil filter equipped on the engine. Can I plumb one in similar to restomodmusclecar? I’m a die hard Chevy geek, know my way around SBC’s and the later sixes (194, 230, 250) but the 235 is Greek to me. You lose me at “bypass engine” etc...I’ll say this, the engine is smooth and quiet. But it don’t run like a 250...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. squirrel

squirrel

You can put a filter on it. Somehow, it lived to be 57 years old, without one. I wonder how that could possibly happen? :)

9. Budget36

Budget36

Uh...56 please...you just made me a year older;)

10. squirrel

squirrel

I was born in 61, I just turned 57.....there are only a few more months of the model year left, you know

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Lots of oil changes...... Lots of oil changes....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

13. Budget36

Budget36

Ya old...n/m;)...November here. Oh, happy belated birthday!

squirrel likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find one at a swap meet that attaches to the intake like stock. Should be pretty inexpensive. The hoses are available from the old restorer suppliers

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I agree, those lines look vulnerable to me sticking out there like that. It may just be the pic, but it looks like the lines may be resting or rubbing on the frame, which could lead to wear in the lines, eventually leading to a leak. Also, is the filter mounted to the frame? Sure looks like it. Seems to me you'd want some rubber lines there to deal with vibrations and movement of the engine as it rocks in its mounts.

16. squirrel

squirrel

lots and lots of cars were built with steel tube transmission cooler lines, which connect to the engine and the radiator, and no rubber in the lines. They seem to last forever. So, it might be ok, maybe.