Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fixing blc 682J headlights ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin49, May 21, 2018.

1. draggin49

draggin49

FCD008CE-5751-43E3-BEBC-AFC53D287F7B.jpeg I picked up a used set of of blc 682 J headlights . I was curious if anyone knows best way to fix this. The bolts that go through the headlight mounts and that move for adjustment of headlight are two different lengths , you can see it in the picture .

Obviously they need to be the same length but didn’t come that way when I got them. Other than the non matched bolts, the rings and headlights themselves are in very good shape, no rust or huge dents .

Best way to remove the piece that is riveted on there ? Once off can I re use it with the matching correct size bolt?

Or do I have to buy a replacement part like this???
    http://www.otbgear.com/Flange-And-Mounting-Parts-Assembly-P71.aspx

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

This is a DIY job

3. 34Phil

34Phil

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Which one is the length you want?34Phil has one answer , it looks like the rivets on the long one have been changed. If you need long open the light and grind the rivets off ,

5. draggin49

draggin49

I need the longer so I will grind those rivets off,thanks !

6. Took rivets out of mine and replaced with polished brass round head screws. Flat blade
    Looked great to me....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I have done this many times. Grind off the rivets from the inside, use a punch to knock them out. Be sure to save the rivets. Change the bolt to what you need. Re-assemble with the original rivets, and weld them in place from the inside.

john worden likes this.
  8. Weld on a longer bolt?

RMR&C likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out McMaster-Carr or Fastenal for solid steel rivets. Average price each is 20 cents. They have them in all diameters and lengths. IMO, in this case, a much better repair than welding.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Grind off from inside.....then bolt them back on. I use new stainless hardware.

11. Too easy.

pat59 and prewarcars4me like this.
  12. Go to OTB Gear's website. They have all the small parts to rebuild you old BLC head lights. Including a mounting kit. http://www.otbgear.com/Mounting-Parts-C35.aspx
    At 24 bucks for the kit, its worth buying instead of spending hours fabbing up a repair.

mountigkit.gif

alanp561, 61cad and lothiandon1940 like this.