Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stud-bucket;'23 studebaker modified....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nostalgia59, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I know it's been a while...but any updates???

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Spring shackles at the rear is a great setup but you need to have the steering box ahead of the axle to avoid bump steer. But you probably already knew that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Steering box ahead of the axle? Huh?

4. I hope he's gonna run on this one again. Neat stuff

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Why not? Everything is adaptable! There is a lot non-ford cars that has it, and if they can make it work, so can he?

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The fixed end of the spring acts as a locating arm for the axle. Twenties cars had the fixed end at the back, a shackle at the front. And the steering box at the back, located in such a way that the drag link moved in harmony with the axle and you got no bump steer.

In the mid thirties they discovered the car rode better with the spring the other way around because it had better rearward compliance. On those cars the steering box is ahead of the axle.

Ignoring this rule, can cause bump steer in other words every time you hit a bump the car is all over the road.

spooler41 likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

With a very flat spring, like they are using here, there is not much arc for the axle to go through. Pretty close to straight up and down. So the regular location of a steering box near the cowl should be fine, producing very negligible bump steer.

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, I see what you mean, usually people gets on about that it's impossible to to put the link in front because of Ackerman, but it's adapt able.
    As I have learned, the best way to control the wheels and minimize bump steer is to put the link on the opposite end of the schakel.
    And if you got the set up on hand for putting the box in front, I would use it all week long.
    If I did not have it I would go with it at cowl link, like you suggested.
    I go some good set of, I believe you call them cross steer, a set up that puts box in front, with 3 links and a Pitmans arm on the opposite rail. I see no issues in using it, but please set me straight of I'm totally of course.
    I got both cross steer and drag link set up, and I plan on using the drag link, and have the other as back up. Depending of the quality of the box I use for my own project.

No disrespect towards you Alchemy!
    And to OP, sorry for threat jacking.

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Any updates on this build?