Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford grille insert question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2018.

1. I have seen a couple of Deuces with a vertical chrome or stainless strip in the center of the insert,reminiscent of that on a Pines Winter front only much narrower.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what these owners are using ? HRP

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Danny,In my opinion..is not what they are using,but.for sure,not using good sense...That chrome strip just ruins a 32

V8 Bob, Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

I like it. I think someone was selling them in the classifieds a long time ago. But I haven't seen them in a long time.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always liked that look myself.

5. F&J

F&J

my radiator shell was once on a channeled car in Fla, the lower sides were cut off accordingly. Randy Nash gave me some reference points and measurements to line up two pieces of 32 truck shell donor side scraps.....but I was pretty sure an original insert would never fit right with all the carnage from long ago...

...So, our local scrap recycle place had new 1/4" solid aluminum rod for the surround opening, and I think the center one is 5/16 ... then I set it all back to the inner flange in the shell...for a sunken look. Cost including a new sheet of aluminum expanded metal was $2.

This was late in the build and I needed to get the car on the road. I was at the first ever cruise with it and the most "hard core" 32 traditional guy in North Eastern Ct, was hooked up with me for a good hour taking pics and checking the car outside, inside and under... I mentioned that I might change the insert at some point, but he was so quick to tell me "don't do it, as it is part of the original build"...like a "soul" thing? It grew on me, so it stays ...for as long as I am "above the dirt".

hey, it's a "coupster" anyways..so I couldn't care less if someone thinks I wasted my time on this old heap.
    100_3280.JPG 100_3304.JPG 100_3315.JPG

6. My friend Mick was making and selling them awhile back. Material cost killed them.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either I have glaucoma or you need to clean your camera lens. :cool:

chryslerfan55, Hnstray, LM14 and 3 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's OK Billy moments before that Scotty had just beamed someone back to the Enterprise...

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They told you that you'd go blind if you didn't stop doing.............. that!:eek:

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have to shave my palms.

11. F&J

F&J

It's a thin Kodak that I always keep in my pocket....the shutter doors over the lens are poorly designed in that they almost are touching the glass lens.....so any dust or grinding particles have ruined the center of the lens each time those doors sweep the lens..

ok then, the grand illusion of living a wealthy retirement life "sometimes does not pan out", so either I spend money on a new camera...or.....spend that money on gas, to go "chase me some tail"...:eek:

Here is a pic for you Billy, that I took on a hotrod local road trip, .....put that razor away for a few minutes..:oops:
    100_3170.JPG

12. I think this was covered here once in a post where someone was telling how to do it. I like it. I think it gives a deuce a little individuality without taking away the style.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Dick (325W) sent me a conversation and told me how his friend constructed them using the door moldings from a 37 Ford to make these bars he made the top piece from tri five chrome.

Seems like I have seen this in the past now that it was brought to my attention,I'll do a search and see if I can find it. HRP

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lens must be plastic, try some Maguire's plastic headlight polish on a dremel tool polishing pad. Should clean right up.
    I like that bar down the center on the right car. Evidently, the judges a the GNRS do too.
    upload_2018-5-14_10-5-28.png

15. I saved the pictures to photobucket,big mistake,now I can't access my own pictures. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Muttley

Muttley

I can't decide weather I like it or not. I guess it depends on the car. It certainly looks good on that brown Roadster though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol . Thinking the same thing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I liked them too when I first started seeing them, then I decided against it because I didn't want something everybody else has.:confused:

19. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I used a trim strip from a '36 ford hood side. Just trimmed off about 8" to match the crank hole.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. If ya have a chrome grill, do ya put a black strip down the center?:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. I went back and found the original e-mail of how Dicks pal made the center piece and so graciously told me what he used and OK'ed the posting here.

This is a photo of the one Dicks friend Michael was making. HRP

28286250888_f9d61e9bda.jpg

[​IMG]

These are the pieces he used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank's Dick & Michael. HRP

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  22. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

I painted my grill, since it was too bright for that style of car. I liked the Winter-grill with black , but allways thought that the the centerstrip was to prominent.
    So i just masked the centerrib of original grill and arround the crankhole, painted the grill with satin black 2k and baked it in the oven .Two year of hard driving and powerwashing, no flaking off. To me it still looks right and good, but that's only my 2 cent's. Skinny Rib Hot Rod.jpg

F&J, dwollam and Nicholas Coe like this.
  23. koolbeans

koolbeans

I like the center chrome/stainless. But at the end what's the answer to one???

Attached Files: