Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford stock V8 rad, gen fan and 59A what upper rad hoses ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, May 13, 2018.

1. A bit of a clearance issue between fan and upper hoses and in no way want to trim the fan. Stock rad with the outlets facing towards the engine where the 21 stud pumps were. I can`t be the only one to run in to this problem.

2. 42merc

42merc

At one time Bob Drake was making a top radiator hose for this application.
    Check out his online catalog.

3. What intake manifold are you running? They got lower starting in about 1937. How about a picture?

Charlie Stephens

4. BD is what I used. Perfect fit. Set of 4. 20180212_124257.jpg

5. Using a Edelbrock regular intake and the BD hoses. On the packaging it says for use with an electric fan. The hoses in hotrodA`s pic do not look like the uppers I have either.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. Auliz here on the Hamb sells the right ones. Also macs auto parts has them too.

7. I guess it sometimes does not pay to read the packaging. Lots of clearance after a dry fit.
    Also, need a fan to rad clearance measurement as mine is close and not sure if the fan flexes forward.

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG

8. That’s a 32 fan. Blades pull air so if any flexing was to happen it would flex towards the motor.

9. Sorry but I don't agree, the fan will flex so it is closer to the radiator. Having said that it won't flex enough to be a problem.

Charlie Stephens

clem and sidevalve8ba like this.
  10. chiro

chiro

The generator mount fans came in several hub lengths. Just find one with a shorter hub length that will bring it back towards the motor some without interfering with the distributor. I had fans with three different hub lengths when I was doing my build for mock-up. Kept the best one, sold the others.

11. Thanks and it is close so will do a little more adjusting for clearance.

12. xix32

xix32

The upper hoses I bought from Auliz were made to fit the Walker radiator that has the upper necks facing straight back. The original `32 Ford radiator has the upper necks angling down like in the previous photos and would allow the Drake hoses to fit properly. The Drake offset lowers were the best I could find, even though they were not offset enough for the 59a mounted in the correct position ( that is with the crank center being 2 & 3/8" below the top of the frame rail)

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

my 32 radiator had the outlets modified to go straight back.

14. If I remember correctly from when I ordered mine, Drake showed two #'s, for mechanical or electric fan.

15. Right you are. Looks like I ordered the wrong ones but the work perfectly for my setup.

16. In my installation I am using original engine mounts and had to flip the bolts, heads up through the front crossmember for clearance.

17. Using the original rad with the outlets as they were stock for the 21 stud motor and water pumps in the heads.

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

understood, just another option when swapping in a later motor.

19. Thanks and I did think about that after the fact but it worked out.