Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration HOW'S THIS FOR NOSTALGIA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montana1, May 10, 2018.

1. F&J

F&J

It's still there... It would take too many words to explain how to find it..but I did...and each day I meet MORE cool ass people..

Gotta go to get ready for a 25 year old "surrogate son" to pick me up this morning and grab my trailer to go buy a 65 Karmann Ghia convertible south of here. This "kid" is a mover and shaker, like a few young bucks around here...and they certainly do have old fashioned values and also a total respect of elders. He actually calls me a few times a week to BS and see how I'm doing...

2. That's cool! Keep up the good work...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I remember my Pop brought a new 1955 Chevy, 265, 4 door and instructing my Mom on how to start it:
    Now look Dear, pump the gas one time, push in the clutch, turn the key and start the motor, then turn on the radio and when the radio comes on (this is after the tubes warm up a 30 to 45 sec period) then you can put the car in gear. Drive like you have a egg under your foot.
    Mom starting the car without Pop: 3 boys in the back seat, 1 in the front (big fight over that). Mom get in, turn the key fires up the engine and brings it up to 1500 RPM several times while turning on the radio, with the radio playing rock and roll a little loud, Mom back out of the driveway (two concrete paths) and out onto the street, drops the car into first and peals out while telling us boys, "good thing your Father is on flight pay". My Father would buy a new car once every 10 years, I don't know how it made them last that long with the way my Mom drove them.

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Probably true, otherwise I wouldn't be here! Lol And I still have a pink rotary phone in the kitchen , and one in the basement. People are amazed they still work.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

My youth, I remember/lived it as pictured/comments, great times/memories. My entire life has been interesting/amazing/great, have said many times, I'm a very lucky man. the world has changed, not for the better in so many ways, But we can't go back in time with the exception of driving our old cars which I enjoy greatly.

oldsjoe, chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I remember Pop giving me a dollar bill to ride my bicycle to the store to get him two packs of cigarettes. Ninety five percent of the time it was L&M's, but ever once in a while a pack of Salems. I'd have enough left over to get myself a Coke and a pack of peanuts, which was my reward fro being the gofer, and I could drink it there, where the grown men were talking , so I wouldnt have to pay the deposit on the bottle.

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  8. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Grew up in a small town in the 70's and remember walking the ditches of the highway in the spring to find empty beer bottles. Begone all day and end up with 30-40 (and multiple bee stings), but at 2 cents a piece I was a rich man!! Even washed them all out before my dad would take them to the beer store. Now a days everyone throws them (and cans) into the recycling boxes. And every week there is an older gentleman that rides by and sorts through everyone's blue box collecting empties. Funny thing - even at 10 cents a piece, my 2 cents back then could buy a hell of a lot more..

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. any one ever ride the train,old steam engine,rode it from Ohio to Texas for summer vacation..change trains in St Louis..those click clacking wheels made it easy to sleep.was in the early 40s and I was 10 yrs old..train stopped at most little towns along the way What an experience for a kid..

oldsjoe, 56don and Montana1 like this.
  10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

sirgraves.gif
    It's ok if you can't post it. you can just post a video of you singing it if you want.

11. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

My sisters 'smoked' so many candy cigarettes that I ended up getting second-hand diabetes. I`ll be here all week, remember to tip your waitress.

oldsjoe, bondolero, Saxman and 3 others like this.
  12. Boy, we'd NEVER let our kids do that now a days! :eek::D:cool:

oldsjoe, bondolero and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. This it?

14. spooler41

spooler41

Great thread,being a pre,W.W. II baby
    I can relate perfectly to almost every thing mentioned here. It was a great
    time to grow up. Some times I miss the things from the past, but I do appreciate
    some of the technology of the present.
    Got my first car at 12 years old and
    have had more than my share of old cars in my lifetime, and at 77 years old ,
    still have a lakes modified '26 Ford to finish up, just got to keep hacking on it..

See y'all on the road ! Jack.....

15. Did almost the same thing as a young kid in the early 1960s in Ringwood , Australia. Aussies like beer :p and the bottles were big. I collected loads with my soapbox from my customers at the top of a hill and rode the lot down to the bottom :eek:where we lived. Once you had 1000 bottles you would phone the brewery collector who would come with his truck and load the bottles in by hand :eek: and then pay. No cleaning done.
    Now this reminds me of my best find, the local scrappy ( Robin Pratt ) was a wierd guy who lived alone . He drove around in a clapped out old Ford F350. First time i knocked on his door he said you have to take all the bottles. The front of the garage was stacked to the ceiling with beer bottles. At least 1000. After i had made a few trips down the hill i could see into his garage and there was his deceased dads 1938 Ford V8 Club Coupe :cool: absolutely covered in bundled up newspapers. ( i said he was a wierd guy ) . Now i had a new priority :rolleyes:. Try to buy the coupe. It never happened :(:(. I think i tried from my 12th to my 24th. The car was still there in 1978 and had become a bit of an urban legend in the area. Every hotrod gearhead remembered the father driving around in the 50s & 60s but not where he lived. ( eastern suburbs had lots of hotrods:cool: ) So in 1978 i went on a Euro vacation and stayed here. Back for a visit in 1980 and the damn thing was still there, I could see it through the broken garage doors under all the newspapers . About 500 metres away was a well known HotRod shop where i would sometimes go and look at all the projects. So i told the guy about the Coupe and his mouth fell open from disbelief. The secret was out.:oops: . If i remember correctly it was eventually taken out and auctioned by Shannons for a decent amount. Shit, this post was longer than expected :oops:.

16. who remembers building sketchy ramps....
    these two pics pretty much sum up my childhood pre cars
    funny-kid-bicycle-jumping.jpg
    H9if1sb.jpg

17. Mike

Mike

That line was in a Bob Seager song when Kid Rock was probably about nine years old.

oldsjoe, chryslerfan55 and bowie like this.
  18. philo426

philo426

Rid Stewart had those lyrics too!

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, that Coddington style 57...Every time I read one of the "remember when" articles, they always make the mistake of stating Baseball cards in the bicycle spokes, leading me to believe the author never did it. It was playing cards as they were plastic coated and snapped back, unlike Baseball cards which are thin cardstock.
    I recall "living" on my bicycle as a kid. Nowadays a lot of kids don't even know how to ride a bike, skateboard, roller skate, etc. In the early 70's my Jr. High had huge bike rack rows that typically had 200+ bikes. Drive by now and there's a single rack with a few bikes.

NOTHING was PC then. Unbelievably, our Jr. High had an annual "Slave Day", where students would volunteer at the all school assembly to go up on stage and volunteer to be a "slave for the day". The Principal would take bids from the audience, auctioning each "slave", where students would own the slave for the next day. They would dress like bums, shadow them all day at school and do their homework, fetch their lunch, clean out their locker, etc. and generally be treated like a piece of shit. Could you imagine?:eek:

How about the Football game titled "Smear the Queer"?

Homeless people were called bums, vagrants. In fact homeless isn't PC anymore in Los Angeles. The LA City Council informed the media recently, that they are now to be referred to as "people experiencing homelessness".

In metal shop we used to be allowed to make sheet metal stars on the Beverly shear. We had some intricate, etched works getting graded by the teacher. That came to an end by the district when someone noticed many of the campus trees had them firmly planted way up n the trucks, building fascias, etc, lol.
    Potato and tennis ball cannons, M-80's and Cherry Bombs. In electronic class one 'required 'assignment was to make a "shock box". A wooden cigar box with two metal door stops mounted on top. Inside was a battery pack with a step up transformer. You'd get a volunteer to hold the door stops. A switch mounted on the outside "lit up" the volunteer. We'd even join hands in a circle with each end person holding an electrode and witness the current running through the entire group.
    I took it home and my MOM and Dad BOTH thought it was really cool. My Dad took it to work and shocked the hell out of everyone to great laughs.
    Nowadays this would be all over social media and the TV News would probably have a field day with it.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Sir Graves! :D:rolleyes::D
    My little sister met him in person once while on a field trip...

Anyone remember the Goul and Froggy?????... Hiya hiya hiya:D:D

21. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you Don... Yeah, that was it...:(:)

22. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

all my grandkids want to do is sit and play with their phone......................

Montana1 likes this.
  23. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Remember this? It was great. c_216.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

225.jpg
    I met him at Detroit Autorama in the late sixties or early seventies.

25. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

26. We used to use baseball cards, trading cards and playing cards (if Dad would let us) and you're right baseball cards didn't work as well. Then we got the idea of cutting plastic coffee can lids and later milk cartons. They worked pretty good and lasted longer.

But the ultimate sound came from a couple of balloons tied to the fender braces on our bikes! Man, they sounded just like a Harley!!! But, just like a Harley, they didn't last very long either. :eek: Then we'd tie 4-6 balloons on and we had a real crowd pleaser! :cool::cool::cool: Ah, those were the days... to be a kid again!

27. Deuces

Deuces

28. Deuces

Deuces

deeafb4411d46c22665e94b22002d8c4--local-tv-detroit-michigan.jpg
    I ended up blowing up allot of my old car models because of this guy...:(:mad::D:rolleyes:
    With Black Cat fire crackers... BOOM!!!:D:rolleyes::(

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I used balloons too, sounded cool but didn't last long. Playing cards sounded like shit after the balloons. I found a piece of heavy duty plastic of some kind and cut it up to try. Didn't sound all that great and got my ass beat cause it made my wheel spokes loose. I went with out a bike until I finally traded a kid in school out of a pair of wheels.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone remember these????:rolleyes::) amerique-1.jpg
    They sounded pretty ratty once you took the muffler off it...:confused::D

chryslerfan55, 34 GAZ and Montana1 like this.