Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile to 1939 Ford adopter kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, May 5, 2018.

1. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I am in the initial step of installing a 1953 Oldsmobile engine in my 1939 Ford . Thought I had everything to adopt the Olds to the 1939 transmission but now find I am messing an extension that goes on the transmission main shaft to extend into the Oldsmobile flywheel , need one or measurements to make the extension .

2. Those may be ordered...its a throw-out brg adaptor...you may also need a starter change over,depending on clearance of steering box...

3. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Where do I order throw out bearing adaptor , I already have starter change over . Thanks Mike B

4. fortynut

fortynut

Better get yourself a stack of transmissions, u-joints, drive shafts, and Woodruff keys for the hubs. Old Ford metallurgy and modern overheard valve torque mixes about as well as oil and water. Sounds good on paper; in testing the results are unsatisfactory. I was there for the testing and parts changing. And, eventually I became convinced that there must be a better way. And, after you have the little light go on above your head, so will you. Unless, of course, there are mitigating circumstances to distance you from the first occurrence.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't find one with a little measuring, it's pretty easy to have a machine shop make a stepped one out of a bar of "oil-lite". You need to get the diameter of the crankshaft hole, it's depth, the diameter of the trans snout, and the lengh needed. It's done by measuring the distance from the flat of the adapter to the crank, and the distance from the trans snout to the flat edge which bolts the trans to the adapter. Only the trans nose and the crank reciever need a caliper , the the rest can be done by rulers. It not rock science.
    We use one for a Chev in our circle track car and it's no big deal other than we can buy it.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Building car to run in Hot Rod Hill Climb , engines accepted up to 1954 , This car originally had Olds which was removed years ago and flattie reinstalled just returning it back , I was there too but this time I can keep my foot out of it !

7. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Yep , thinking I will probably have to make one . Thanks Mike B

8. F&J

F&J

they are available from one of the two? companies that make bells and adapters for our types of swaps... I can't recall the company name.. I did make one for my 303, I used steel then bored it for a bronze bushing.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if it's the same, but I needed one for an Olds Rocket against a later ('49-'64 ) Ford transmission. I got one from Wilcap, who had it in stock After I got it, I agree that any competent machinist should be able to make one if he had the proper measurements.

10. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I have been running a stock 303 1950 olds in my 46 merc going on 4 years with several thousand trouble free miles, the key is to rebuild the transmission to avoid any play and drive normally ,make sure your axel nuts are tight and it will last ,remember back in the day kids did this swap with worn out transmissions and the pedal to the metal,hell even a flathead would wipe out a trans or rear in no time ask me how I know, an even better swap would be a 331 caddy but the olds fits well using stock exhaust manifolds

Attached Files:

12. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Appreciate the reply from a man who knows !

13. jonski und29

jonski und29

Hey indianapolisracer! I'm pretty far in the same process. A 1950 303 against a toploader in a 40 ford.
    Wilcap will have the pilot shaft spacer you need. I think they sell it with an adapter, but they might sell it alone. I had an old one.
    These motors fit really well. If you have the old Hurst mounts, I had to use the 1 1/2" spacers sold through speedway.
    Also, the mini starter from Ross Engines fits perfect.
    Let me know if you need any more info or pictures.
    Jon
    208.jpeg

F&J likes this.
  14. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Thanks Jon I too am using Hurst mounts , I'll check on the spacers , I also have the adopter that puts the starter on passenger side plus the oil filter locator and a set of NOS Fenton cast iron exhaust headers along with the adaptor plate . I have an aluminum flywheel but am leaning toward a Wildcap steel flywheel . Mike B

F&J likes this.
  15. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I too am using a mini starter from ross and a steel flywheel and a 50 merc clutch from wilcap. the long pressure plate may have clearance issues depending what year trans u are using according to wilcap

16. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I am using a 1939 Ford trans all rebuilt was a common adoption in the day . Thank you

17. rg130

rg130

Interesting project. Regarding the oil filter relocation where is it moved to. Also will you use the original oil filter or a newer spin on?