Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The old beater let me down - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 7, 2018.

1. Bright and early Thursday morning I opened the door of the garage and loaded the ice chest and tried to fire up the sedan,all I got was the constant winding like it was out of gas,I did a quick check and I had no spark.

I unloaded all the stuff and put it in the wagon.

I haven't had time to try and sort it out but the night before we drove the sedan to hardware store and experienced no problems.

The car has a later model distributor and I am thinking it might be the electronic module but if anyone has a good guess for something else to check don't be afraid to offer your thoughts. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. partssaloon

partssaloon

Just did this to a buddy's 36 a half hour ago, dead in the parking lot. Module and Rotor. Fired right up

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Module...mine did the same thing on first (attempted) start this year-

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Didn't you have the same thing happen to your wagon not too long ago.......switch back to points......

5. Pretty much the same thing with a expensive Pertronix distributor and I replaced it with a new distributor and points,if it's as simple as a new module they are plug and play so it should be a simple fix. HRP

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  6. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Get a MSD and be done with it.

egads and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Check your coil wire ends. I have seen them broken and loose inside the center on the cap, to shorted wiring in the distributor, bad coil , bad module to a bad dizzy. Good luck but check the coil wire first. Easiest .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Ground or contact of the coil setting atop the dizzy if you have a HEI. Moisture in your area affects them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do you have any ornery neighbors or friends? There was a kid in highschool that though he knew EVERYthing about engines. On lunch break, we pull the center carbon out of the coil wire and reinstalled it. He was so dam mad that he could not get his truck started, and couldm't figure it out.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Rotors on those distributors (HEI) can burn through and short to the dist shaft underneath. Module would / could be a likely suspect as well.

6-bangertim and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i had the same thing happen to my'63 plymouth just last wed. i go to town 1 day a week (wed) and on the way home it died. i was just around the corner from my house when it died. i thought that was very considerate of it since i live 50 miles from town. i have a chiney made electronic distributor that uses a high performance coil. in this case an accel. it was a comedy of errors trying to get it home though. i thought my car was high enough to go on my trailer but it ripped off the mufflers and destroyed my trans cooler. when i finnaly got it on, it rolled forward and went off the trailer into my trucks bumper. luckely they matched so no damage. anyway, got it home and found it to be the coil. it was only about a year old. i thought this chiney stuff got along but i see it doesn't.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

We all be wishing ,when we have a breakdown it would happen in the garage at home :cool:

13. Budget36

Budget36

Well hell...that old car is just that..OLD.

Time to put it to rest.

Wait?...You don't have time to take it to the scrap yard?

Be over in a bit.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Due to circumstances beyond my control I never got a chance to look at the car last night,hopefully things will go smoother this evening. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just that old Henry trying to spit out that bowtie.....

deathrowdave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Points are relatively free of module failure, just sayin.

6inarow, egads, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  17. You are correct and if the module is indeed the culprit it only lasted 30 years. :D HRP

18. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

deuce run is in june you need to get it fixed.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You may have better luck than I with MSD.
    Lost my second module a while back in my MSD and a new one is north of $110, so instead I bought a whole new GM HEI distributor and a spare module to throw in the glove box. Module was $30.
    Now that I have a spare with me it will probably never go out again. It's in my avatar and the truck starts instantly now, with the MSD it cranked a little before lighting off. The MSD was 18 years old but only had 16,000 mi on it.

20. I will always use electronic over points, but will never use another MSD anything. I’ve had two modules quit working in an O/T truck and my buddy at work lost one in his dads O/T truck. One Chevy and one Ford, and none of them lasted a year.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. I don't have a MSD.

Mine is a GM and it's 30 years old, I pulled the module out last night and I have it with me today,I will also use so anti seize on the screws, those darn little screws were a sunny beach to get out! :rolleyes:

I will run by the parts house and let them test it,I do hope that's the problem. HRP

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Blue One like this.
  22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I mean, if it worked for 30 years did it reeeaallly let ya down? Haha.

I'm betting it's that module.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Shoulda previously shelled out the$30 for a spare module in the glove box.....never need it according to Murphy's Law.:D:D:D

24. Deuces

Deuces

Had one die on me on the I-96 freeway one morning.... I pulled over on the shoulder and parked it.... Grabbed a spare I had sitting at home and had the wife drive me back and installed it... It fired right up.....:)
    It helps to carry a spare in the glove box... ;)

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Not really, points and associated components fail more often than electronic versions, that's why they were invented, because there is a need. You are more likely to be stranded on the side of the road due to an ignition system failure if you are running points than if you are running electronic ignition. That is true.

26. Well the old car was good enough to die in the garage and not out on some back road in the middle of the night. :D HRP

27. upspirate

upspirate

Electronic has a more consistent spark with no maintenance (lazy here I know).
    Don't you also need dielectric grease on the underside of module when installing to transfer the heat?

28. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I ALWAYS carry one-

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  29. Danny, I am glad it happen at home for you.I am sticking to points.Thats just me though.Bruce.

Bondo Slinger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The key to avoiding having a problem with anything is having spare parts. Only the parts you don't have spares for fail.