Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cowl Steering . . . just stop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

And we never landed on the moon...
    Hmmm, I wonder what kind of steering the Lunar Rover had?

loudbang likes this.
  2. electric......like at least one custom from the early 60s
    rover.JPG
    I proclaim this the first hot rod in space
    lunar 1.jpg

"to boldly do burnouts where no man has done burnouts before"

3. It had OFF TOPIC steering .

4. cowl steering wont work in the vacuum of space

its science man .....science

ccain, Malcolm and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Will there ever be bump steer in"zero G"?

loudbang likes this.
  6. No
    Steers can not survive in a vacuum either

7. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Good to see it was conforming to the local fender laws too,,

8. alchemy

alchemy

Does that lunar rover have moon hubcaps?

silent rick, Halfdozen, BJR and 2 others like this.
  9. GEGE

GEGE

I got in trouble 6 months or so on Hamb for saying coul steering ruins the looks of a nicely built rod.

10. GEGE

GEGE

Opps cowl!

dana barlow likes this.
  11. AmishMike

AmishMike

good - great tech post ruined by wise asses

Unkl Ian and anthony myrick like this.
  12. Pete has done some of the coolest things on this planet ..........but not burnouts on the surface of the moon cool

loudbang likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

On behalf of me and my entire band of wise asses I would like to sincerely appologise for ruining this thread.

14. GEGE

GEGE

Sounds like there is really no reason for cowl steering.

Moriarity likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

It is "one" way to solve the footroom issues on early cars with very large engines, when trying to find room for three pedals. (standard shift)

Usually these engines in a circa 1930 car that have a very narrow cowl area, also need a setback which brings a larger bellhousing/tunnel into the mix. There simply is no way to get a normal column up high enough where it goes through the toeboard, and not have your feet get tangled up at that lower column..

Some people even give up on having a standard trans, and use an A/T to get more room for that lower column foot area. Others use one of those chain drive boxes.

117harv and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  16. Another "benefit" is clearance for exhaust.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Frank's comment got me to thinking that there's no reason the output shaft from the steering box has to be horizontal. Depending on available room it can be angled down a bit, so that it exits the cowl at a lower point. If the pitman arm is then vertical it'll move in a more or less shallow cone rather than a flat plane, but I don't see that that is a problem.

The other way is a cowl-steering-type box with the output shaft running vertical just behind the firewall – depending on what lives below its bottom end – or angled slightly off vertical if necessary. I've investigated a lot of variations on that basic idea using a firewall-mounted rack and pinion. There are so many possibilities I can't make up my mind.

18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Anyone questioning this has lost sight of the basic fact that if you are on public roads its your duty to chose function over fashion. As a dumb kid I altered the Ackerman and ended up doing 80 in the wrong lane...yeah i'm still here but its not through lack of trying!! what must be annoying for educated people (especially Californians who've been doing this stuff since the beginning) is the loss of accurate information through emulation not actual research....for instance: this is o/t but I always thought that it was funny how so many trads love to recreate the "suicide" front suspension like it was just a fun nick name...lets weld a round tube to some thin metal, tack a plate on top, then at the very front of the plate put almost all the weight of an 800 p eng./trans combo ....ever seen a guy in a model T with a leather helmet and no roll bar do an endo face first into the ground after his frame rail dug in? me neither but some old timers have....The old timers really wanted to put skulls and cobwebs everywhere but their Moms wouldn't let them so instead they sat around making up cool names (for perfectly safe trends) like "suicide" and "bump-steer" for fun....;)

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Saxman and SR100 like this.
  19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

MVC-015S.JPG

This is as close to a firewall mounted box as you can get. However, it only works with a four banger

Hank37, loudbang and Ned Ludd like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I set up a '24 T with cowl steering for a number of reasons, most of which have been mentioned:
    Had a variety of engines I wanted to try out, so a conventional Gemmer box (F-1 or F-100 types) would be intrusive to exhaust systems and some bell housings. Also, the familiar narrow foot well; Three pedals (throttle to the right, but brake & clutch were tight, even with VW pedal set!)
    So...the cowl steering was like...'magic'. Until I applied the geometry.
    I found an 'unhappy medium', and the 'T' handled like a hot rod. Demanded constant attention...

Tune in to Pete's broadcast: "Music to bump Steers to."

21. bump up so john can find this

22. My vintage dirt car had a 4 bar with cowl steering , straight tube axle with panhard bar , gear box was a 14:1 ratio . It got around the turns like it was glued to the track . When their set up right it's the best suspension out there ! car 2 001.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Robert J. Palmer and hendelec like this.
  23. BJR

BJR

But you only turned left!

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I wonder, how many AMBR winners have had cowl steering? What keeps cars with less than optimum engineering in the running for the big show prizes? Gary

loudbang likes this.
  25. I appreciate the tech on this thread and agree with the geometry issues that most people don't follow when setting up cowl steering. However as we all know when building Hot Rods with large motors, exhaust, limited space etc. cowl type steering can be a logical solution for space restraints. Any pictures of cars with cowl steering type setups with correct geometry?

ls1yj likes this.
  26. silent rick

silent rick

27. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Nope . . .

28. silent rick

silent rick

even the venerable vern tardel got it wrong.

i tell you, my car is terrible. i haven't driven it yet and i know it's bad.

sometimes at night, it goes out all by itself. i know of at least three people that it's killed.

my car has killed more people than ted kennedy's car.:)

Tman and hendelec like this.
  29. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Sorry if this has been covered.. haven’t read every post but theoretically speaking if the drag link and wishbone are of the same length and parallel why wouldn’t that be a neutral (bump steer free) set up?.. if not is that because when the wishbone is split it forces the axle to twist when articulating? .. then from an engineering stand point 4 bars would work better? Thinking of cowl steering on a project.. thanks..

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  30. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

So to be clear then, the only time cowl steering is ok is with a 4 bar front suspension. Is that correct?