Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Road trip companion needed. Anyone interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hudson48 consider the Gilmore Museum in Hasting, MI on your I94 trek across western Michigan. it is about an hour northwest of the I94 Kalamazoo area..but easy to find and worth the sidebar.. you can google it for pics and info. there is an Indy car history display there now. happy trails

2. Looking forward to pics of your trip. Good luck and safe travels!

3. hudson48

hudson48

Do you mean Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners? We are heading that way on Wednesday after Detroit. Staying at Plainwell and doing the museum during the day and then they have a cruise night on Wednesday at the diner. Should be good fun. Then next day is onto South Bend and the Studebaker Museum and then head west to Iowa.

4. yep, that's the one

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa and Highway 30 runs through town. If you take a break here I can line up a couple of places to take you to.

justabeater37 likes this.
  6. DeezCustoms

DeezCustoms

I'm north of Chicago. If you need anything and are in the area, hit me up. I have a decent garage set-up, as does my neighbor (heat, lift, ac, etc.) Heh, if only I didn't have work or a wife and child or I'd be with you in a heartbeat. Spent 6 months in Brisbane awhile back studying at Mt. Gravatt University. Got plenty of RHD driving back in the day. Now, the only thing I can do is my RHD mini cooper on US roads. Love every second of it. Good luck, keep us all posted.

7. hudson48

hudson48

Thanks Deez. We will be keeping south of Chicago and the closest will be Joliet. Doing as much as possible along Lincoln highway.
    I Brisbane I am on the north side of the river not far from Gateway Bridge and Brisbane airport.

8. hudson48

hudson48

Time for an update. Met with the shippers on Friday to discuss the mess up with the shipment missing the connection in New Zealand. So technically it wasn't their fault but the shipping line(ANL) caused this problem. The connecting ship came in early and left early and the one from Brisbane came in on time but didn't connect.

We were working on a tight schedule and the shippers always like to leave a bigger window because of hassles like this.
    So my checking found that the ship stops in Oakland first and the same people the shippers use for unloading and preparing the container for inspection have a depot in Fremont as well as the one close to Long Beach.

So that schedule will have the container arriving Wednesday April 25th and they will pull out all stops to get it unloaded and to the depot. Then paperwork to deal with and clearance. They do say that it is less hassle through here than Long Beach so lets hope so. Ideally they hope the car will be available Monday 30th April but I have numbers to call on Sunday when we arrive in San Francisco and just maybe it will have already cleared. Wouldn't that be great to get a few hours of travel on Sunday,maybe make it to Bakersfield. That's about 4 hours but a good start. Otherwise if on Monday and we get an early start should make it to Needles or even Kingman.

Then the program should be back on track to get into Dewey late Wednesday/early Thursday. I would like to have stayed in Albuquerque one night at the historic R66 motel near the historic old town but it will be more important to keep moving as long as the light is there. Maybe stop a bit further east. We do want to do a little sightseeing where possible although I have done Route 66 in this area before.

So now more good news. Through this thread I was contacted by a HAMBER from NZ who was keen to jump on board for trip from San Francisco to Dewey and then onto St Louis and Detroit. So he has pretty well confirmed that he will be joining me and that will make a big difference having two drivers to share the load and more importantly make sure that we are on the correct side of the road. He will be leaving from Detroit to travel to Hawaii to see his nephew but will have more than 5 days with myself and then my friend from CA to check out all the museums,a couple of cruise nights etc.

I am hoping that the hot rod gods look after us on this adventure.

Okie Pete, Special Ed, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  9. hudson48

hudson48

Well the hot rod gods looked after me. The container arrived in Oakland and has been unpacked and ready to deliver. The shippers have agreed to come in Sunday morning to let me pick up the car and we can get on the road and hopefully make Bakersfield by Sunday night. Should be in Dewey Wednesday afternoon for Stray Kat 500.

Okie Pete, Special Ed, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  10. Very cool! Safe travels and enjoy the trip!

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

48, I know there’s a lot of people telling you what to see, not sure of your route. If you have a chance stop by the Indianapolis 500 race track and museum. We were just there... awesome! Then if you travel East of there, in Dayton , Ohio The is an Aviation museum, I know it’s not cars, but.. it is awesome. It will take a whole day to see it, but I highly recommend it, it has some outstanding engines on display. Bones

12. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

That London taxi in my avatar was RHD before I swapped in a Jag suspension, which had a LHD steering rack. Back when it was still RHD, I used to take it out on the roads in Wyoming. I'd take my Saint Bernard with me to screw with peoples' heads. I can't count how many times I heard laughter coming from the left as a car would pass me and see the dog look over at them from the "driver's seat" as they went by.

Thankfully I never had to worry about the danger of driving a RHD car in the US and trying to pass without being able to see oncoming traffic. With the factory diesel 4-banger, that taxi was so gutless that I NEVER needed to think about passing anybody. Of course, there was an upside to that gutless engine for professional taxi drivers in London: huge and heavy as the cars are, they got 45 MPG on that little diesel engine, and on slow city streets, power and speed were never an issue.

13. Lil32

Lil32

Good News Paul
    Safe drive and enjoy
    Noel
    34 sleeps till we fly

pprather likes this.
  14. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

If you're able to get your car early enough tomorrow, there's going to be a car show not that far from LB Harbor .It's at a brewery. Ballast Point Brewery. It begins at 10, so I'm guessing it will go for a while.
    Ballast Point 110 N. Marina Dr., Long Beach, CA 90803