Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Carbs reed engineering info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aribeau, Nov 22, 2010.

1. aribeau

aribeau
    from Tucson

Just picked up a set of Riley carbs that have float bowl lids from Reed Engineering ( Rudy Sumpter ) Intake is for an offy 110 I believe. Looks like they were converted for fuel injection. I am interested in any info I can get about these carbs. Thanks. ( I plan to use them for a dual carb setup on a Harley knucklehead project I am working on.)\
    Thanks in advance, Anthony

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. flyin-t

flyin-t

What do you want to know?
    I don't know a damn thing about them but have a copy of Dan Iandola's book on George Riley and there's about 25 pages or so devoted to the Riley carbs including original ads, instructions for tuning and so on.

3. carbking

carbking

Tuning parts are available.

Jon.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Elrod

Elrod

I just picked up a nearly identical set up. The linkage looks the same with the welded tab. The fuel inlet and the secondary hose returning to the bowl. Same.

I read that around 1946, Rudy Sumpter was looking for a willing soul to help him run an Offenhauser-engined midget race car and found Marvin Edwards of Hollywood Spring & Axle. Marvin and Rudy's drivers was Gib Lilly, Doug Grove, Parnelli Jones. The car was a 1947 Kurtis Kraft midget, built by Frank Kurtis at the famous Kurtis Kraft shop in Glendale, California. The 7th out of several hundred that were built. Originally ordered by Marvin Edwards of Hollywood Spring and Axle, it was known as the “Hollywood Spring and Axle Special.” After being driven to victory by many drivers, including Parnelli Jones, the car was sold to A.J. Foyt who went on to place 3rd or better in 33% of the races that he ran in with this car. The last race Foyt ran the car in was the 197 Astro Grand Prix in Houston, Texas. He won the 100 lap main event. The car was completely restored by Ed Justice Sr.

Elrod001.JPG Elrod003.JPG Elrod004.JPG Elrod005.JPG Elrod006.JPG Elrod007.JPG SumpterReed.jpg parnelli1-640x320.jpg parnelli1-640x320-2.jpg parnelli1-640x320-3.jpg

kidcampbell71 and elgringo71 like this.

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

What brings you to that thought?

Looks to me like there may be an added fitting to the top of the float bowls perhaps to introduce some "pop" at an appropriate moment.