Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ryan's Falcon - Young Gun's Straight Axle Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_0773.JPG Newest update isn't much of one but some stuff got done.
    A seat base was made, we got the steering in for the most part, just need to cut a hole in the firewall for it to go through and we figured out placement for the pedals.
    We figured out that we are going to have to build a box for the master cylinders (running dual masters) because they are so big that they won't fit inside the car where we put the pedals.
    The plan is for the car to be done by may long weekend, it will be close but we believe it's very possible,

Attached Files:

2. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Updates???? I’m looking for some information on your cage ya bought. Did it come in pieces? Wanting to get a roll bar and some door bars for our 64 Ranchero. I was thinking about getting the jegster kit for a 64 falcon and using the parts we needed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rawcjw19, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I haven't posted any updates because nothing has been done in a while, from being busy to waiting on parts and trying to find parts.
    The cage is from jegs, it's for the 63 falcon, it is the 10 point but we will be adding two more bars in the engine bay for rigidity.
    It comes in pieces, all the bars are bent already, basically all you need to do is some trimming and weld it in, also I don't believe it came with floor plates.

Gammz, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Ordered through a local shop but it's a Hedman headers kit, it's actually for a big block Chevy but we ordered the ford flanges

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I have a question for everyone,

I am looking for the front bolt for the rear leaf springs. I somehow lost one of them and the only place I've seen them for sale is one website and they don't have them until June.

If I have to buy the bushings with it then that's fine, I have bushings ordered but I do not know if they come with the front bolt or not.

Any help would be great, I've seen new ones on a thread somewhere else but it didn't say where he got them from.
    It's a specialty bolt because it goes through the bushings and then also the frame

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  7. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I went to a place called Fastenal here in town. They are a nut and bolt supply house. They hooked me up on the cheap. Grade 8 even.

8. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Was it just a generic bolt? Because the one I'm looking for is not, it has a fatter part for the bushings and then skinnier to go through the frame and then the threads.

9. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I’ll give it a look see tomorrow and hit ya back. Stand by......

10. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Ok awesome thank you!

11. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some work has been done!
    Got the box for the pedals finished, as well as two big holes in the floor were covered up,
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The rear diff centre section has been put together, spool, 4.10 gears, it's good quality heavy duty parts, should hold about 800 hp, just have it resting in the ford 9" so that we can measure axles. The 9" came out of a bronco, Paul had it laying around his shop, same with some of the parts in the centre section.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The alternator is finally installed! Chevy alternator using CVF racing ford brackets isn't always easy but was able to make a spacer out of some pipe to make it all fit and line up.

12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Just remembered to get you a pic of the bolts we used. This is the best I could get. It’s like 7 inches long. Grade 8. Hope this helps.

13. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Yes thank you! I completely forgot,
    We decided to basically find bolts big enough to go through the bushings and then machine them down to the size needed to go through the frame

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

That’s hot rodding right there! Glad to hear ya got it figured out!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Rye-guy like this.
  15. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG

Didn't get to much done this weekend but the steering is almost complete, just need to make a few tweaks so that it fits better and I'm lucky enough the Dave Pelissier had these wheels in his garage, never used American racing torq thrust rep wheels that are the exact bolt pattern and I size that I need for the front

16. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  17. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

A round body has a differnt rear spring and hangers. most of the falcon places should have them if you cant find one i might have a used one in my extras

18. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I looked and looked and only found one website that sold them but they didn't have them in stock until June

19. If you can use stock bolts, try C & G Ford parts.

20. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

If this is the one you need message me an adress and I will send it to you 002.JPG

21. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I believe that is the one I need but I'll let you know if I still need it or not because I am on vacation right now and I am unsure if any work is getting done on the car while I am gone. Thank you

22. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I don't need the bolt anymore as we were able to make some but thank you anyways.

I am now looking at what traction system to go with and I was looking for opinions on either caltracs or slide a links.
    Which is better etc

23. Cal Tracs are pretty trick. Lots of guys swear by them. I was going to make some for my Ford, as my front spring eye bracket is a little funky. I'm using Lakewood traction bars at the moment.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

John Calvert originally invented the CalTracs so that he wouldn’t have to cut up his legit 68-1/2 CJ car to tub it to stay competitive.
    I can’t recall the exact tire size he was running,but they were pretty skinny to fit within that stock wheel well,and that car would hang the tires 4’ in the air routinely.
    Traction will definitely not be a problem with CalTracs.
    Plus,he is the guy that answers the phone and gives you setup tips and tuning advice,and helps you troubleshoot.
    I don’t think you’ll be getting service like that anyplace else.

Scott

25. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

So this past weekend we got the fuel system all finished up, the leaf springs are hung and have now figured out where the shifter, switches and gauges will be.
    The steering is also finished from the steering wheel to the vega box, the boot around the shaft were it goes through the fire wall is actually a 2006 Honda CR-V rear cv boot, it fits perfectly.
    IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG

26. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Car is looking great! Are you happy with the jegs roll cage? We are to the point we need a cage in our Ranchero and on the fence about the kit or finding someone to bend one. Does it fit pretty tight to the body?

chryslerfan55, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  27. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I like the cage, we have it set back just a bit so it's not completely tight to the front pillars but it saved us so much time and headache not having to bend our own bars. All of the other bars are pretty tight to the car. The only thing it didn't come with was plates which we just cut out of steel we had in the shop.

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

Looks good !!

Rye-guy and loudbang like this.
  29. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG

Got some small things done like my caltracs installed and the front drag link sorta mocked up, i know I'm missing a couple little spacers for it but just wanted to see the clearance and now realizing it is hitting the oil pan so that will have to be figured out

Wheels and tires are coming in within the next week and then I'll have a roller!!

30. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1100.JPG IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1088.JPG

Got a ton done or almost done, the rear end is put together minus brakes and shocks. I am running moser 35 spline custom axles.

Tires are Mickey Thompson 28x10.5-15 on a black steel wheel.
    Most of the car is wired minus fans (don't have them yet) and the electric water pump.
    Shifter has been mounted on the mount that we built out of material we had in the shop.
    The switches are wired up and welded onto the cage.
    Running my girlfriends old MSD 6 box and coil pack from her dragster (upgraded to msd 7)