Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Chuck, Tom Sturm performed basically the same feat in '62 with a 62 Bel Air hardtop. He drove the car around the country chasing points and I believe he won the championship. He came thru Okla City that year and I met him at an OCTA meeting. I remember him well because it seemed unique what he was attempting and the other reason was he gave me some Jardine Header decals. He would jack the car up, change the rear end chunk, tires and un cap the headers. I don't remember how well he did the weekend he was there but I'm sure it was probably a divisional or he wouldn't have been there. The results from that race may be in the archives somewhere.
    Chuck, I've asked this question on this site before but didn't get and answer, I cannot get to this thread thru the HAMB search feature, I've worded my search about every way you can but no luck, any ideas?

loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  2. Have you tried using the Advanced Search function? Click the button that says "MORE" at the lower right corner of the main search window. ;)

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Jimmy, just now I entered the words <junior stock> on the search page and got a wad of hits, mostly hits to this thread. The easiest way to get to it every time is by going to the first page of the thread (462 pages ago) and bookmarking that page. Then, when I click the bookmark, it takes me to the first page. If a post has been added to the thread since the last time I visited, there will be a click box marked "Go to first Unread post."

Regarding the Championship points system that was in place many years ago, I believe that there was a schedule of races held around the entire country. Several racers, including obviously, Bruce Morgan, Tom Sturn, and others took off on barnstorming tours to hit as many races as they could. Compared to modern times, I think that all you had to do was show up and win class to earn points. I remember a time when NHRA conducted a points competition that resulted in the identification of a "Top Ten" list. I know that Jack Chrisman was a winner one year. An old-timer racer friend, Keith Berg, was another who chased those points. I've seen his absolutely Killer jacket identifying him as a Top Ten finisher. I don't know if there was any eliminator competition involved because that was before the days of the Christmas Tree handicap starting system. Perhaps, if they showed up and won their class, they received a set amount of points and the system was a snap for anyone who could afford to travel a lot and live off the land. The first time I remember being involved in what we now know as the Championship chase was in 1964 when the tree was introduced in Division 7. I was helping Dave Kempton at that time and he was in the chase against the Ridgecrest Ford AA/SA Galaxie of Mike Schmidt that began the season being reclassified as a B/FX car at the Winternationals and then made a AA/SA before the end of the season. Mike was the "World Champ" in Stock that season. Just the feeble recollections of a senior citizen!

c

4. loudbang

loudbang

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ Hey, I remember that photo from an ad I responded to ^^^^^. It's in better hands than mine now (Tim Pogue); besides, I'm really a 56 Sedan Delivery guy. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Tom 57 150, biscaynes and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Wayne Jessel Yoo Hoo Too

wayne jessel yoo hoo too and stock.JPG

again different paint

yoo hoo too and stock.JPG

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I remember seeing both Yoo Hoo cars going down the road with one on the old ramp truck and the other on an open trailers for years!
    I believe Wayne has a home now in Morresville, N.C.

Jimbo

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ I think that was Yoo Hoo Too and John Diana's 56 Sedan Delivery being towed ^^^^^. BOTH of the Yoo Hoo Too cars, are of the SAME car, just different periods of time with different paint jobs. After the Yoo Hoo Too Delivery was sold to George Supinski, it was converted into a Model 150 Handyman Wagon, and still had the same blue and white stripes paint job. Same thing with George Cureton's Toyko Rose; first it was the "rose" color (was supposed to be orange, but there was something wrong with the paint), then after the towing accident, it was repainted blue, with the white roof stripes. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  9. loudbang

loudbang

10. loudbang

loudbang

Hydrophobia

hydrophobia.JPG

Schaums Garage

schaums garage1 check.JPG

again

schaums garage2 check.JPG

11. Mike

Mike

12. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The restoration on Bruce Morgan's '57 just goes to show that sometimes nostalgia is not always nostalgic.

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The Gas Monkey show is really just another stupid show that started out to be about building cars and turned into a show about the them doing donuts and other stupid things like making faces for the camera.
    The lady who does their upholstery say's it best when she refers to them as "Ass Monkey's"

Jimbo

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can appreciate the quality of the polished aluminum diamond plate work; just not the car it was done on. But, to each their own, and at some point, someone else will own it, and who knows..........................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

When I first saw that car ( October, 1961) it served as an inspiration to a hillbilly country boy who had come to the big city to be a drag racer! It was magnificent just the way Bruce ran it.

c

16. loudbang

loudbang

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

That looks like Aquasco Speedways tower a long time ago. Maybe around 1964-65. I started racing there around 1962 with my 1953 Ford. Then later with my 1965 Plymouth 426 street wedge before the Army grabbed me in Feb. 1966.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. It does look like Aquasco. I can't make out most of the writing on the '57, but "Gebler Headers" is on the front fender. So, likely a MD car.

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  20. Tho' it doesn't seem like a bad idea with a gas tank, battery and a bottle of nitrous back there. :eek:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Aquasco Speedway Memories

Jimbo

Aquasco Speedway.jpg Aquasco Speedway checkered flags.jpg

22. loudbang

loudbang

Nija & Dissette

nija dissette check.JPG

Serio & Abramuk Buchwacker

serio & Abramuk Bushwacker.JPG

1947knuck, Tom 57 150, enloe and 4 others like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Allan Patterson

allan patterson a.JPG

again

allan patterson.JPG

Barkley & Allread

barkley & Allread.JPG

24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Looks as if that might be Sacramento but it's hard to tell from this angle? The Olds in the immediate foreground was Keith Berg's "Old Action," a familiar player on the Division 7 stage. I believe that he was runner-up in Stock eliminator at the Winternationals, possibly to Richard Charbonneau. Someone with a better memory than i will be able to verify that. What looks like a '58 Pontiac right behind John Barkley. If so, that was one of a slew of such cars that were found in this Division in the late 60's. Ramon Lowe and Jay Hamilton had made them very popular. There were even some fuel injected versions on the track.

c

Tom 57 150, NHRANUT and loudbang like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

I believe you got that right. Charbonneau was on a roll at that time

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

As I had hoped, a correction has been called to my attention. Gary Glover has pointed out to me that the photo in question was taken during the World Finals in Tulsa. The Olds had been borrowed for that occasion by John Dianna. In self-defense, Sacramento is about the only track in this part of the world that is surrounded by terrain that even remotely resembles Oklahoma and that is only true if you stand at the head of the staging lanes and face the west.

Tom 57 150, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes that is Tulsa and if you stand in that same spot today the view is the same except for all the school buses stored in the field.

28. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

It is Bob Lucks "Little Terror" 283/FI combo.

29. loudbang

loudbang

In Bomber Restored?

in bomber a.JPG

in bomber b.JPG

in bomber............JPG

1947knuck, Pete L., quick85 and 10 others like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Terrible Tangerine

terrible tangerine check.JPG

Tokyo Rose

tokyo rose ...........JPG