Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MACHINIST HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NorthRiver6478, Apr 23, 2018.

1. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I have checked in my local area for a Machinist to make a 3/8-24 inverted hole in aluminum for me...3/16 line...No one seems to have a tool of the know how to make it...Im sure there are a few ways...I found a tool by TriStar Eng.com a J512 type tool for the job...I would think by making your own form tool you could cut the inverted area...then satndard tooling for the rest...My question is im looking for a machinist to make a aluminum block with 3/8-24 inverted holes in it...Its a simple block design that i can send them...Im in California if anyone can help or im ok with someone in another state...ANY HELP...THANK YOU...TOMMY

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Where in Calif? North? South? If you are in Central SLO is full of machinists(Cal-Poly).

3. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I forgot to mention...I sent a message to a HAMB member...MILHOUSE...with no reply...He started a post in 2010 about the J512 tooling...He might have the tooling....I can not get ahold of him...Any Help

4. I'll be the first to show my ignorance. What's an inverted hole?

Adriatic Machine and Morrisman like this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I'm guessing you mean an inverted flare hole on a block?

Just curious.

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't understand that term either. If you need to put threads in a hole you can pick up a 3/8-24 tap at any tooling supply house or McMaster-Carr.

7. 3/8th inverted flare fitting hole.
    Too accept a 3/8 inverted flare fitting.

8. .................He was last on here 23 June, 2017.............almost a year ago.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  9. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I am very sorry to her that...I had no idea.

10. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

Yes...

11. RmK57

RmK57

Wouldn't you drill and tap for 1/4 pipe thread and then use an adapter to inverted flare?

12. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

The hole is a 3/8-24 female inveted flare for a 3/16 steel brake line...

Attached Files:

13. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

Gilroy California

14. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

You could but some

Attached Files:

15. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

google might help
    [​IMG]
    Call: 847-595-3377 Email: [email protected]
    HomeAbout
    Us
    Portfolio
    Gallery
    J512
    Tooling
    Cam
    Relief
    Photo
    Gallery
    Contact Us
    Request Quote

Design & Manufacturing of Custom Precision Cutting Tools
    Our CapabilitiesDesign & Custom Precision Cutting ToolsOur PORTFOLIOSCustom Drill Reamer Combination ToolCustom SAE J512 Inverted Flare Seat ToolCustom Trepan Tool Custom Hollow Mill
    Drill Assembly
    Custom Solid Carbide Drill with Coolant ThruCustom Recess Tool
    [​IMG]Print This Page[​IMG]Email This Page
    Custom Manufactured SAE J512 Inverted Flare Seat Tool for the Machining Industry
    (click on thumbnail to enlarge)

[​IMG]
    A U.S. firm located in the heart of the mid-west, Tri Star Engineering, Inc. is able to provide the expert engineering and quick turnaround time that our customers demand and expect.

When a customer asked Tri-Star to manufacture a custom-cutting tool that's used to form the components of 12L14 steel tubing, we delivered the part in carbide steel. We also have the techniques and skills required to produce an extraordinarily fine 8 RMS finish.

Our 16,000 sq. ft. facility offers six CNC grinders, which can grind both carbide and super HSS materials, a given in today's cutting tools. Our machines allow us to provide repeatability and shorten lead times.

We constantly re-evaluate the tools we manufacture as part of our commitment to continuous improvement that targets cost, durability and turnaround. In fact, as far as we're concerned, reducing your tooling cost per part produced is one of the most important services we provide.

You'll find detailed specifications for this project below. We're happy to speak with you directly to discuss your firm's needs.

16. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

As i mentioned i know where to get the tool its 400.00 and i do not have the machines to run it...Thank You

17. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

way more than i thought it would be

mario711 and NorthRiver6478 like this.
  18. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

1/4 tapered pipe taps and drills are cheap and any automotive store will have an adapter that is 1/4 male pipe thread to 3/8 24 inverted tubing female;)

pitman likes this.
  19. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I apologize for not being clear on what im tring to have made...Yes i can use adapters and such...That is not what im tring to do...I am looking for a machinist that can mills some holes in aluminum...The hole size is...3/8-24 female inverted flare for a 3/16 brake like...I hope that was worded correct...I did some research and tristareng.com makes a cutting tool and its around 400 dollars...All im looking for is a machinist that can do this...Thank You

20. Sporty45

Sporty45

How the hell would you thread something like that, a hollow tap?

21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

There is The Hose Shop in Santa Cruz, they might be able to tell you who would be able to do something. http://www.thehoseshop.com
    There is also http://www.rbisj.com/ located in San Jose.

With all the farmers around I would check local shop farm equipment shops. You should be in the thick of ' I need this *unusual farm equipment* to hook up to this *a more unusual piece of farm equipment*.
    Well if you are Russell brand hoses, you would stop short of the cone and tell the customer to pound sand when asked how to fix their unthreaded hose ends.

NorthRiver6478 likes this.
  22. Joe H

Joe H

If you can't locate a person to cut it or afford to use them, maybe you could go about it another way. The threads are standard 3/8"-24, no taper or pipe so that easy enough to do. Then drill out the bottom to accept an insert with the taper cut on a lathe. You then insert the taper pin piece into the hole and you have an inverted sealing surface. It might work and you would only need a small lathe and some brass stock or aluminum rod.

23. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Take a look at the shape of a Nitrous system jet for the general idea. You would make inserts on the lathe that look just like larger version of a nitrous jet, but with a 45° sealing face rather than the 37° AN.
    Then make your aluminum block with a stepped hole in it, tap the top of the hole for your threads, and your newly made seat insert gets pressed into the bottom of the hole.
    Nothing to it really...Lee Power Steering utilizes a similar insert to convert bubble metric flare ports on Saginaw steering boxes to the older inverted flare style hoses. You just tap the inserts down into the 0-ring port until it seats, and the metric thread pitch is close enough to the similar size SAE thread that it bolts right up to the inverted flare hose.

I think JoeH in the post right above mine is saying the same thing.

https://www.mpsracing.com/images/products/NOS/BigPics_NOS/Jets.jpg

gas pumper and NorthRiver6478 like this.
  24. It might help us if you would draw a picture of the block you envision. Just make an oval at each place where you would drill. We already saw the finished drill hole in the photo above.

If you are working on something automotive, there must be something available to work like the block you described.

Phil

25. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I think Joe and Eric have figured out a neat way to get it done.
    Nice going.
    Pete

gas pumper and NorthRiver6478 like this.
  26. Try a place that specializes in hydraulics, not a hose place but a place that manufactures and rebuilds hydraulics.

You can try Aztec hydraulics up here in Mississauga Ontario Canada.
    Google there info give them a call and ask for Glen.
    He is a scholar amongst peasants in his industry . If he can’t help you, he will know who can and send you there.

Hope this helps. What are you building that’s so fancy and specific ?

27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think it's a hole turned inside out which would make it full.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I will look into this...Thank You

46international likes this.
  29. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

I will look into this...Thank You

46international likes this.
  30. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

Thank You...