Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Traffic traps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Have any of you ran into any traps set up by police or dot specifically targeting older vehicles? I'd heard of one in Ontario a few years ago where police were basically pulling over every older car leaving a car show and then giving tickets for everything they could. Just to be clear, I don't condone unsafe vehicles of any kind on the road, but I can guarantee that there alot of modern vehicles on the road that shouldn't be. I've personally seen ball joints and tie rods ready to fall off of vehicles less than a year old. (Even a 3 year old pickup with a tie rod tied up with rope). I hope these traps don' happen often and wish police or dot use some common sense discretion.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Never seen it at a classic car show in the gta or Hamilton area.

Seems the classic car show, swap meet etc get left alone for the most part as they look at us as being more “ aged” I guess .

I know the rice shows will have the police sitting outside and giving tickets from anything from missing wipers, to wrong headlights (a/m hids) bald tires etc.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Hasn't been a problem around here. Only time I've ever been stopped in my truck was right here in my home town. Officer who stopped me didn't know the law on displaying year of manufacture tags. I showed him the current tag that I keep under the seat and told him that GA law allows '70 model and older to display YOM tag. He called in to his supervisor and found out that I was right. Come to find out, he was a car guy with a '70 Chevelle SS and was glad to learn that he could run a YOM tag legally. Now I keep a copy of the code section that applies to YOM tags in the truck.

flatheadpete and loudbang like this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Only for lowriders and ricers. Police typically respect the classics around here

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

never seen anything like that in my travels, over the decades.

But I've never driven an old car to Canada, either.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've never seen any harassment targeting old cars in Kentucky.`

7. Pretty sure that story was when they were doing a pinks event. I heard a couple guys get tickets for missing emission devices.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. There was quite a backlash. I haven't heard of any blitzes like that for a couple years. (Lots of safety and truck blitzes still)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. I drove my rig (to the left) to a show where the Police were one of the sponsors. One of the officers said, as I was checking, 'I was just talking to one of my co-workers, asked what he would do if he saw my car on road'... I haven't driven it to that town since....

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ What "town"? ^^^^^ A lot of the smaller towns have Snohomish County Sheriff's Deputies on contract. I personally don't trust that bunch with County duties, let alone contracted services. Ya'll can look up lawsuits concerning them if you care to; not worth my time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Happens down here..... usually on highways leading to large shows, tends to get negative reactions from everyone so not as often as a few years back. We have one local “ public servant” (not Police) who likes to go to shows and write down registration numbers for later “attention” he’s not very popular....

13. I don't know how serious he was, but I have opted not to return to Monroe. Seemed like a nice enough fellow, but why risk it. Its supposed to be fun. Too many other places for that.

I was returning home from a club meeting, stopped at a light at an intersection allowing accesss to I-5. I heard a horn. When I turned around, there was a state patrol on the inside lane. The passenger window came down and all I could see inside was a 'thumbs up'. The light changed, window went up and we both went our ways.

I've actually never been stopped while driving this rig.

F-ONE, Blacktop VooDoo and squirrel like this.
  14. Usually there is something that happen that kicks off something like that. I've seen cruise nights where people would do a long burnout as they left, not cool. That brings the heat in.
    It was last year, another cruise that is on Sunday mornings. I was leaving and the state troopers had a trap laid down, each and every car was looked at for both license plates and valid windshield stickers. It was father's day too. The previous week, someone had left in a Corvette, got the car out of shape and piled it into the guardrail.

zzford and 54vicky like this.
  15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I better be careful, my last inspection was 2006.

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have seen traffic traps but not directed at old cars!
    Here in Florida the AAA used to tell it's members not to use sections of 301 heading north from just north or Ocala up to Lawtey, Florida

Whenever I drove through this area I always drove slower and yet one morning I was in the right lane following two cars and sure enough I saw the red light behind me.
    I pulled over and the the officer told me I was speeding at 42 mph in a 35 mph zone. I had just seen the sign that said 45 mph but there must have been another sign that said 35 mph.

I said to the officer if I was speeding what were the two cars in front of me doing?
    His reply was "when you go fishing to you catch every fish" He then looked at me and said I caught you!!!

The fine was $152.00 dollars and that is why AAA warns it members to avoid this area because it it a known SPEED TRAP area.
    Jimbo

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a move in Royal Oak, MI to fuck with ppl at a weekly gathering. If you had antique or YOM plates you got a ticket on the premise it's not an organized or sanctioned event. Hundreds of cars each week attended. Sounds organized to me. I'm sure the retailers and saloon/diner keepers supported that disruption of commerce. What say you? I didn't have 1 at the time or I'd have gone just for the challenge. Or maybe a night in the 10-bar inn...;)

18. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

There was an incident in Niagara Falls at the downtown cruise night 2 years ago. I work downtown and saw it on my way home from work.
    They set up at the corner of Victoria ave and Queen street and stopped all cars to check for emissions equipment.
    It wasn’t the police, it was the ministry of the environment or something like that. The two “officers” were in an unmarked car and didn’t appear to be wearing uniforms.
    I don’t think I would have stopped for a guy in a white sedan yelling at me from the side of the road.

I was told by a friend that they were checking casting numbers to determine the year of engine and then enforcing that the engine had emissions equipment for the year of the block, regardless of the year of vehicle.
    So for example a ‘58 Chevy with a block dated 1985 would require all emissions equipment from an ‘85 Chevy.

I won’t go to that cruise night after seeing that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

here in so cal a few years back i had a 49 anglia x race car some what street legal....around the holidays they set up traffic check points.....i came home from a car show and there was 12 cop cars and twice as many cops...as i am coming down the line with a red anglia wing on the roof wheelee bars rump rump rump got to the cop and he waved me past ........they pulled over a lot of newer cars and let me go by.....may be a gray hair old man is ok or they were looking for some thing other than hot rods.....so cal seems easy on hot rods unless you are doing some thing stupid.....

20. Stooge

Stooge

Not that I've noticed for the older/ classics/ antique meets or shows, but i have noticed when driving by the newer car/ import crowds that have regular meets in parking lots, there will usually be a cop car parked down the street from it waiting for someone. There's a big cruise in every other week around here in Foxboro that's open to all cars, and that draws a few thousand people I would guess, and although I haven't been in a year or so, they would typically have a few LEOs down the street going either direction for the people who feel like they need to do burnouts when they leave. I think for the most part, they will let stuff slide, but theres a good amount of traffic around that area, so they wont hesitate to pull you over if your going out of your way to be obnoxious.

patmanta and 54vicky like this.
  21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A whole bunch of car show attendees have nearly ruined it for the other people. Why do you suppose it makes sense to do a 100' burnout out of a school parking lot? Why do you think you are being harassed by making enough noise to be heard for blocks?

You might try driving in and out of these events like normal people instead of drawing attention to yourself and the other hundreds of people that act like adults. No, it is not the fault of the police--it is usually your own fault. And when did it become right to do something just because someone else did it?

22. We had a local cruise night (Bellmore, LI train station) that was closed down for a number of years due to people with hot cars behaving badly. It opened again, guessing 5 years ago and the local police auxillary oversee it. It has paid admission for entrants with cars. Foot traffic is free. They have porta-crappers and at least 1 ice cream truck.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, Monroe has it's own P.D., not a contracted one. But, it's also a town/city that has grown W-A-Y too fast; so fast, it's been hard to keep up with services. Then they have the "Highway of Death" (Hwy 2) cutting right through town; probably the biggest issue they have to deal with. I actually worked in Monroe for 4 years, at the end of my career in healthcare. could't get my wife to relocate, or we'd be living there now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

when HOT ROD power tour came thru Montgomery Al., the pd posted cars all over the route, and ticketed several vehicles. Hot Rod has claimed they will not come back. Pretty much our Tri county ( Montgomery, Elmore, Autauga) likes to post officers right outside of every event, and nit-pick... I once got stopped in Autauga co., because my driving lights weren't on with the headlights, on my '56 ford.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

It's been my experience in recent years when traveling to a major city for a big car show event the traffic control is absent, terrible traffic conditions, god awful bad driving from locals, scary bad, thinking in the bigger cities with police/sheriff cutbacks and crime rates rising they don't have time or manpower for traffic control anymore.

26. silent rick

silent rick

do sobriety check points count?

27. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I have a 1950 F1 that is done up like Tow Mater from CARS. My grill has big teeth and I have eyes in the windshield. I run regular plates and have it inspected. I run around with left headlight removed and usually don't have the wiper blade on. I was at a car show sponsored by the Sheriff 's department. One of the officers was standing in front of my truck looking at it. He said/asked "You have regular plates, how do you get it inspected without the headlight and no wipers?" I replied "I know this guy and for $30... " He put his fingers in his ears. I then told him that when it got dark, I put in my headlight and when it was raining, I put on my wiper blade. Btw our inspection fee is $16 and all my vehicles are legal and correct when they are inspected.

One Sunday afternoon while driving "Mater" an officer passed my wife and I. She then dropped back and came up the other side and asked my wife if we would pull over so she could get a photo. I pulled over and when she came up to my door, I turned toward her with my "Mater" teeth in my mouth. She cracked up. I would never have done that if I hadn't known why she wanted me to stop. She said some of the others might say something about the eyes but she wasn't bothered.

One more for now and I'm done. At a cruise in one night a local officer told me I owed him. When I asked him why, this is what he told me. He was on duty sitting in his car talking to a State Trooper when I went by in "Mater". The Trooper said he was going to get that guy with his windshield obstructed (eyes). My friend said he was buying lunch but they had to go now. Who says all cops are bad?

I, too, believe that if you are behaving yourself, you probably won't be hassled.

28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Rumor has it that years ago at the N.S.R.A. York, PA show, the police were ticketing cars with no fenders, no hood, loud pipes ETC. N.S.R.A told the York, PA, town officials how much money the show generated for the town and told them to "have a talk" with the police or they won't be back next year. Police did not show up for the rest of the show. Only rumor, can someone add to it?

29. Some police like to generate revenue. some are butt heads and some are Ok.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember those from my drinking days, they would pick a bar and set up down the road from it, close enough to see people come out, then pull them over. I never got caught, but some friends did. Wouldn't drink in a bar nowadays without a designated driver if I was still drinking. Too dangerous. I'm lucky I never ran over anybody back then.

I agree. I know a couple that are into hot cars, the only reason they would stop you would be if you are way outta line, or if they wanted to check out your ride. Used to be one around here who would set up and clock us in a quarter mile, he even set and blocked the road for a few late night grudge races. He retired several years ago and moved to FL IIRC.