Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '23 Model T build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Aug 8, 2015.

1. cretin

cretin

Today went much better. I wanted to make it in one piece, but I decided to reduce the flat section to just a 3/4" flange to make life easier on me. I'll just make the rest of the flat section and weld it in.
    Glad I got to mess with the power hammer, would be fun to become more proficient with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. cretin

cretin

Yea, I'm lucky enough to have some of these machines available for me to try.
    To be honest, I didn't even look if panels were available. I wanted to make the pieces. I haven't done a lot of sheetmetal as of late, and wanted to do some more.

Packard is coming along well. There should be some photos of bits and pieces of it surfacing soon.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Will it be at the GNRS in 2017? Bob

4. cretin

cretin

It will.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great reason to think about going again. Bob

6. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I follow you on IG and watching the Mullholland build is incredible. Troy showed me some of the design features you guys were incorporating into it...amazing! Anyways, back to your build, I noticed in some of the first pictures, the split bones were bent to bring the ends close to the frame. Are you keeping them that way? I haven't seen a later in the build picture with them in view, so couldn't tell. I'm asking because on my T build, it looks like I may need to do the same thing. My bones with the short spring I have still are about 8" from the frame rails. I don't see any issues with carefully heating and bending them close to the frame, but since I saw yours were like this, and you obviously know what your doing, I figured I'd get a second opinion on my problem? Thanks, Ken

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. cretin

cretin

Thank you so much. We're hitting it hard getting that car ready for GNRS.

I am keeping the bones how you saw them in early photos. But I'm just doing that because this is a budget project, and that how they were when I bought it.
    If I were starting from scratch, I would keep the bones straight and I would heat and bend the spring hangers in front of the axle. And I would just do that because I like the look better.
    I just didn't want to spend any cash on another set of bones when there is nothing wrong with these.

I did run into an occasion on the '36 pickup we have where I did have to change it though.
    When we bought it, the bones we split in the same way as my T, but they interfered with the steering box mount. So the previous owner just cut out the gusset for the steering box. This caused a dangerous situation where there was too much flex in the mount, and death wobble started to occur.
    The way I fixed that was with new bones, bent the spring hangers, replaced steering box gusset, no problems since.

Hope that answers your question, if you've got anymore, don't hesitate to ask. And thanks again.

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice build! I like the all the old timey bits....Nice score on the mill and lathe too!

kidcampbell71 and cretin like this.
  9. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Well hopefully he is helping you guys and not in his "grotto" sipping Matias, and playing fetch with Otis, while you do all the work!!
    Here is the bend in mine that I did, I used those spring mounts from Speedway and mounted them straight because if I put them in at an angle the stud wouldn't have gone thru both sides of the bones. I should have just gotten some original perches and put them in at an angle, but I found this all out after the spring and spring mount purchase. I have what looks like less angle than yours, so if your comfortable with yours, I'm sure mine will be o.k. as well. This is my first --spring behind-- build so just covering all the bases. Thanks for the info, Ken.

Tell Troy, Bella says hi.

Attached Files:

10. cretin

cretin

Haha! He is helping, although all of us agreed that sitting in the grotto, sipping Maitais, and playing with Otis sounded pretty fantastic!

That ages wouldn't bother me at all, I say go full steam ahead. I have never done a spring behind, but still, I wouldn't worry.

And Troy send a big Hello! back to Bella!

11. This the type of build that I always wanted to do defiantly subscribed!

12. cretin

cretin

Hopefully I can make some good progress on it now that the GNRS push is over. I plan to get back at it this weekend.

13. cretin

cretin

Finally carved out some time for the T. I worked on some sheetmetal today, and plan to do some chassis work tomorrow.

First, I ruined my street cred by removing 10 bullet holes from the panel.

[​IMG]

Then I got the lower patch I made a while back on there.

[​IMG]

I still have some work to do smoothing the panel out. There is still some previous damage on the top of the panel, but I will address that when I replace the top bead.

[​IMG]

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking good! Bob

15. Those bun patch panels are available for '26-7's, but not the earlier ones.

16. cretin

cretin

Messed with the car a little today. Not much progress though.

I needed to pull the trans to put in the clutch shaft so that I could figure out my clutch linkage. So, while I was at it, I pulled the mock up engine, so it can go to its new home with my friend with whom I'm trading it to him for some paint work. And I installed the real engine. The rest of the car still looks terrible, but the engine looks pretty good in there!

Now it's off to look at pedal linkages for some inspiration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. That looks right at home ! Hobo Jim

cretin likes this.
  18. Now all ya' gotta do is make the rest of the car look like that. ;)

cretin likes this.
  19. And, FWIW, your '23 body is actually a '24 or '25. The firewall and cowl are taller and wider on the 24-5's than on the '23 and earlier ones. :)

Beau likes this.
  20. cretin

cretin

I measured the width of my firewall, and it looks like you're right. Mine is wider then the '23 firewall according to the info I found.
    Crazy that there was one narrower then this! It's so small already.

brEad likes this.
  21. cretin

cretin

Messed with the T a bit today.
    I'm a dummy and forgot to put my flywheel on before sealing up my pan, so I finally decided to fix it, since I found an extra pan gasket at the shop.
    Next up will be getting clutch and brake pedal sorted out.

22. 46stude

46stude

Been a year since this thread was updated. Just sayin'.......

brEad likes this.
  23. cretin

cretin

Geez! Time flies doesn't it?! The car has a tiny bit of progress, but not much. I switched focus to my '54 Chevy for a bit, but stopped on that around the time you made your post.

I had a bunch of parts and a couple cars stored at my Grandpas house, but he moved to my Uncles lakehouse in Texas, They sold his house, so I had to move everything to my parents garage/driveway, and there isn’t room to work. So, that is what has held up progress on all the projects.
    I was looking for a shop space to rent that I was also going to live in. But, after looking for so long and coming up empty, I was getting worried because next summer my parents are moving, so I’ll lose that storage as well. I started thinking, what if I rent a place, and then need to move from there after a while? It takes so long to find something I can afford, what will I do with my stuff? So that kind of morphed into finding a place of my own to buy.

It wasn’t easy to find something to buy that worked for me that was in budget either, but I found a place and am in escrow. The house has enough garage space to get back to work, so hopefully fairly soon I’ll be able to get back to my own projects finally.
    I'm increasing my commute by more than I would like, but the place checks off all my other boxes, so I think it’ll work out well.

I’m looking forward to updates too! It’s been quite a while since I’ve been able to do any car stuff for myself, so I’m ready to get back at it!

24. cretin

cretin

Ok, I'll keep this brief because I know this place is about cars, but I'm far enough along in the home buying process that I can say the place will be mine, just have to let the escrow company finish their part of it.

I'm getting excited to get in there and get the garage set up, so I had to post about the place.

It was built in 1928, and is a great out of the way place to concentrate on my projects.
    Here are a couple photos, unfortunately, no good ones of the garage yet though, it is detached and to the left of the house in the photos. I'll get photos of that as soon as I can while I'm moving stuff in there.

IMG_8143.jpg IMG_8144.jpg

brEad, 1-SHOT, kidcampbell71 and 11 others like this.
  25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Beautiful. Congrats!

26. Yowza .... what a bitchin' place ! How much of a commute will THAT be ? Looks far and away .... which is a good thing .... from where you work today. Man .... that is cool !!

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! Nice house, you either Photoshoped the neighboring houses out or it is far away from LA. Bob

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

House is amazing! Worth a drive to & from...
    my wife and I found this house in Atwater, (25 minutes from Turlock, back in '96.
    Now I have room.
    Good thinking along the way on your frame, and frame table. The total layout of the car is uncluttered, functional, and proportional. (nothing 'in the way' of pedals, steering, radiator, etc.)

29. cretin

cretin

Thank you!

30. cretin

cretin

I'm doubling my commute to an hour. However, it's the same amount of freeway time I drive now, the added section is a canyon road, so it's not too bad. It would be more of a big deal if it was traffic on the freeway the whole way.
    There are neighbors, but they are definitely not on top of me, like most of the houses around here.

Thanks, Atwater Mike, I'm trying to keep the car simple and just having the basics.

Stogy, AndersF, Dannerr and 2 others like this.