Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59A in a 1932 Ford with original V8 mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hb32, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Anybody have a good pic of the mounts after grinding for belt clearance ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

20180414_192133.jpg I have them on two of my cars now, but it will be very hard to get a good photo now that the engine is installed. The grinding is not a big deal if that is your question hb32.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Mount them up, put on a belt, then mark the bare minimum for grinding. It's a high stress area, so only remove what is needed for clearance.

4. You should be able to swap for some that are already modified. Try a wanted ad here and on fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And if you grind...do it carefully with repeated checks as you grind. Most I have seen have WAY too much metal removed, because someone lazy wanted to get the job done in one swipe without checking.
    There will be variations between forgings from different dies...but one good one I have somewhere ends at the parting line at top without even crossing the entire top.

6. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

As a follow up to Bruce's grinding discussion. I would only use original Henry Ford motor mounts. I have a set of the Drake '32 mounts and they look great comparing them to originals. However, it's doubtful the metallurgy in the Drake units is anywhere near as good at the original '32 Ford mounts. This is only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

7. Originals they were and suspect the 32 purists are not happy ;-(
    Both sides have good clearance with a sloppy belt. Spent lots of time with a fine
    file and sandpaper cleaning up grinding marks as well as imperfections.
    Anyone have a torque for the mount to block bolts?

IMG_0014.JPG

8. Posted looking for the torque on the barn and determined 50-60 ft lbs was sufficient.
    Thanks everyone for the input.

9. IMG_0016.JPG I was concerned as well for clearance on the lower rad hoses and found a thread where the mount bolts were reversed, heads up. So, a little more massaging was required on the original mounts :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018