Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Putting my Marbles to good use....... Gas tank cleaning.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 31, 2018.

1. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

So the other day while thinking ahead but not to far ahead, I was thinking of the task of cleaning out the secondary tank of my old white F-250 Rat truck. Because you see before i came to own this lovely little Piece of my family history. It was used as a oil drum hauler, Dead calf and seed truck for my family's farm and My dads auto parts store. Now the truck has been put into my hands were a new bed ( well used and in need of some help), Floors, and a going over of the frame will be in store for my grandfathers 85' farm truck, with a 351 Windsor, Automatic C6 and Dana 80 rear end.
    However here's where it needs cleaned or where my idea comes in. You see while it was in service of being used as a drum hauler, one of the older delivery drivers accidentally filled the second tank ( which hasn't been used in over 10 years or more so its a little sludgy ) with gas, thankfully tank disabled the switch once he found out, however once i drain the tank and kill brain cells while doing so ( if i have any left anyway ) i know i gotta clean it if its worth being cleaned. I've heard of the quarters trick however i heard they are a bugger to get out of the tank after words so would marbles work a bit better. how do you gentleman clean old fuel tanks. I wanna try and save a buck but in the end i know sometimes its better to buy a new one. feel free to share what you think about my marbles after all i did order 10,000 marbles ( not really i'm just a old movie geek and animal house is one on my favorites list).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You mean other than the idea you might lose them?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sounds like it would work. But 10K? Will they even fit? Good luck, Gary

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...It's a lesson in displacement...

5. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I've already Lost my own marbles, hence the 3 week mental, and anger control sessions ( which don't include having jack nickleson as my coach) and the funny thing is I'm only 22 and lost em. But thats okay some of my hero's were crazy like Ed Big Daddy Roth so i'm just fine with out my marbles

6. Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  7. Marbles might not have enough "bite" to really scrub any rusty scale and crud. In your shoes, I might use rinsed pea gravel or some other stone chips. You have to flush the rust flakes out anyway with a lot of water, so what's a little more water to also get the gravel out? If it's just gummy goop, no rust, then marbles may be the better bet.
    (Use hot air directed inside and outside in the seams to dry the tank fast and completely.)
    Saving some

8. Budget36

Budget36

I've always used SS nuts, 3/8ths are a good size.

Count out 25-30, put them in and shake it around, dump them out until you count out what you put in.

No edge on a marble, may not knock all the stuff loose.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  9. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Hotrod magazine did a article on him a few years back and ever since reading about him i been a fan and have always been reminding myself to think fink. I watched the short movie about him on youtube till they yanked it. I plan on getting the biography about him, roth is my hero or one of them.

10. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I have heard of using sharp gravel.

clem likes this.
  11. Marbles will never do it
    Nuts and bolts,
    I have got 2 - 100 count boxes of 1/4 -20 nuts and bolts specifically for gas tank cleaning.
    The bolts do the better part of it. 400 little cutters in the tank get the crap off. I suppose you could Do it with just one bolt in there but the odds of you making contact with every square millimeter might take 4000 times longer.
    If I can get a new or better tank for under $100 it's not work the hassle.
    It takes a lot of shaking to get one clean with 400. It will wear 2 guys out

12. 24riverview

24riverview

This method was suggested to me by a local guy and I had my doubts but I've done 2 tanks this way and it actually worked pretty good. Cut some sandpaper into 1 inch squares, 36 grit if I remember correctly, 40-60 of them. Drop them into the sender hole (keep track of how many, lol) then stick a open air hose in there, moving it around occasionally. Creates a dust cloud so do it outside.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've heard nuts & bolts work well. Also short lengths of chain.

clem and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Thanks when the time comes i will have to try all the tips you fine fellows have suggested

Sent from my LG-M327 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Deuces

Deuces

16. rgdavid

rgdavid

Ive used wood screws to good effect,
    I tie tanks to the front of my electric cement mixer and let it go round for a few hours,
    Then i change the position of the tank to get other areas inside clean,
    For motercycle tanks i put the screws in, wrap the tank in old anoraks and blankets taped round and put them inside the mixer, works quite well.
    The good thing with the screws is you can get all of the last ones out with a magnet.

17. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I did the shaky screw thing with an old jeep I have. It opened lots of pinholes. Then I found a new tank from Spectra premium and for 75 bucks I threw the old tank away. Happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, but I'm missing one er two..... :confused:o_O:confused::D;)

Truck64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Riiiiiiiight

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.