Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Moderation Clarification... or a lack thereof...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impala4speed

impala4speed

Sorry for continuing to beat that horse but even though my build doesn't fit on this site since it's a '66, and some of the mods I've made would not be considered Traditional, I still enjoy coming here to visit the many project builds as I find them very enlightening and entertaining and some of the early '60's builds have tips and ideas I can incorporate into my project.

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thats what I am getting at. I never give out personal information over anything electronic and the techies can find out and steal anything if you if you use anything electronic and wireless with a I.P. address that you can transmit on. Seems like they have tied everything to the internet whether or not you have put information on it or not.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Don't empathize those aspects and no one will likely say anything.

4. 34Larry

34Larry

Now I guess I understand why my 34 was not considered a "traditional hot rod" back when first putting it on here, (IFS &IRS). (I was called out for making the mistake posting it as such by one of the long time posters/traditionalists). To me it was then and still is but this is your site and your rules, of which I have no problem with at all. Just as, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so is what is traditional and what is not. As long as my project has been allowed here on "your site", I'm happy no matter what it is considered to be. Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just making sure that I understand what some of you are asking for:

Beyond patents, and manufacturer web sites, you want three pictures, of three different cars that were built 53-80 years ago, that happened to appear in magazines 53-80 years ago, that happened to get saved all this time, and that happened to get scanned into a computer, and then happened to get posted on the internet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Regardless if you,me or the Easter bunny likes it there are now 1,104,125 registered hamb members and I'm sure when Ryan was sitting at the table and dreamed up the idea of a message board with a focus on the early style hot rods he never envisioned it becoming the huge success it is today.

With the Hamb having such a large presence on the internet almost any question ask the Jalopy Journal will often be one or more of the options for information,with that said many people join without any thought of rules they just realize the wealth of knowledge and want to be a part of it.

It's been said too numerous times to remember but the Hamb is not for everybody and the fact that many these of these individuals want the site to conform to their ideas and building styles is a never ending problem for the moderators.

I don't have any of the answers to the problem but even with the constant off topic post the Jalopy Journal/Hamb is the best damn site on the internet,period! HRP

7. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

What I am asking is what makes baggs more traditanal than desels packards and steam power cars they were all build before 65. everone that likes baggs say they were used but no one can show where the first time I asked I got photos of cars with helper springs and patten info but no more. You see old mags with flat heads nail heads and all of the normal mods but never bags why is that if it was comonly done?

8. well, I can show you one with ABS, illuminated tires, electric steering and remote parking capabilities

Toner283 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clear body panels, too!

10. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Than three with real bags should end this debate once and for all and might convine the powers that be they belong. I can find efi frame swaps ifs irs swaps 21 inch rims duel wheels ect... but no real bags untill the 80s I rember seeing my fist lowrider mag and they had more hydrolic lifts with conventual coil springs. people that like things save examples of them people post old hurst mount catalogs and airheart brake even old jc whitney where is the bag stuff

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

LOL

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I totally agree that this is the best site on the web. I cannot believe that you as the number 1 poster do not have any answers :D

tb33anda3rd and pat59 like this.
  13. You won’t find cars built with parts from a Pete and Jakes catalogue either

BJR and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

15. ebfabman

ebfabman

Now that things have evolved to a more mature type discussion, I'd like to step back in and ask about this post. 117harv post a pic of my Merc and say "wow". Does this mean "wow", I can't believe pics of this car are allowed on this site, or something different? While it is low, I think it shows period styling. Am I off here?

16. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

No you will not but all of this debate started with the removal of mm2 and air bags and you cannot fine photos of old customs with bags so we need to look at every thing else. I do not mind most bagged cars but the only argument that they used them before 65 is the fact they made them.

17. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

I think the wow was the fact the car looked cool , most will have a hard time saying it doesnt and I would say all of the build fits but the suspencion

ebfabman likes this.
  18. 117harv

117harv

Your car is OUTSTANDING regardless of where it's posted, I cropped and re-posted to give others a better view. Your car is perfect in my eyes as well as many others.

ebfabman likes this.
  19. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Hot Rod is used as a noun and a verb.

Hot Rod as a noun is a particular type of vehicle modified for performance and style.

Hot Rod as a verb is the act of improving performance.

On this site the noun version is described as pre-1965 car and parts. The strict traditionalists focus on early Fords. Many visitors to the site want to "hot rod" something and see hot rodding as all-inclusive as far as performance and style, as it is an individuals taste and vision.

In the case of the long-term build thread that was taken down when the air bag issue came up it seems a pm to the poster could have averted the drama. It was a build that showed a lot of creative metal work and while not my style, it was much more interesting than a post asking what kind of oil should I run in my '47 Hudson.

Years ago Ryan created the Dogfight site to provide a forum for more modern technology. It never seemed to generate much traffic.

I appreciate this site and look past what seems irrevelant or mundane.

X38 and Special Ed like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is all of the hydraulic suspension stuff in those catalogs?

Hydraulic suspension (yes, including *GASP* laying rocker, or frame) dates back to just after WWII, when the surplus contents of aircraft service bins went on sale to the public (or went home in a lunchbox). This practice took off in the Latino communities of California, as far back as the late 1940's and early 1950's, and continues to this day.

You were not there (people I knew were). You did not see it (people I knew did). It did not appear in car magazines. It was not in the catalogs. All of these systems were hand made.

By your logic, it never happened, until recently.

History does not work that way.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow is right!
    I'm kind of selective in my interest in customs and I can't even wrap my arms around that whole "lay'n frame" deal but I dig that Merc.

ebfabman and 117harv like this.
  22. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

history doesnt make it a tradition. You can find multiple examples of all of the traditonal mods done to hot rod and customs but so far I have not seen any thing to show me that baggs fit and I think I have a open mind on the matter. All of the arguments I have seen show me that they were not very common and most are ment to redirect the question to other things that are alowed at this point . I hoped this discusion would motivate people that are fans of bags to show the rest of us and Ryan why they belong here but my hopes of that are sinking fast.

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

have you read ryans very first post in this thread? go back and read it...

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks...that really helps round out the requirements for being a happy camper around here...and I am.

I still am amazed at all of the innovation and customization that happened to Hotrods and Customs that that pnuematic suspension tech was not applied as well at some point as it certainly wasn't just a dream.

I believe I noted that some of the debated
    threads are now reopened and I hope all are given a chance as I am sure they had a sense here.

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I wrote many of the ads and a couple of catalogs for Air-Lift in the 1960’s. Had a pair on an El Camino and an F250.. the product was designed for drag strip performance by loading one bag for traction. The other functions were for trucks and heavy loads. Same goes for the Firestone air bags found on RV’s.

To use Air-Lift as an example for bagging customs is delusional. I grew up in San Diego and saw the
    Low rider builders using war surplus HYDRAULICS (not air bags) to put their cars on the ground.

While I have my differences with Ryan on the definition of traditional, most of the posters here appear to be nothing more than trying to increase their count!

X38, lurker mick and Moriarity like this.
  26. I think Ryan thinks of doing this often! I know I do, but I am old and cranky.:rolleyes:

anthony myrick likes this.
  27. Mark,me thinks you have anger issues. :D HRP

28. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

from what i got on ryans first post was first he is working hard on this great site and i realy enjoy all of his work and bags are inspired by traditional customs but are not traditanal and should not be the focus of the thread and posted in the hamb general are of discusion. From the answers I have gotten most of the air bag croud think they are pre 65 and traditinal. my whole point was to ask them to prove it to educate us younger guy that where not there and posable bring some of its history to light

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is what he said. he doesn't have a big problem with them as long as they are not the main focus of the thread. It is time to stop grinding this airbag subject into the dirt.....

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.