Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Moderation Clarification... or a lack thereof...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvenfield

wvenfield

As far as what you drive, no one cares. We really aren't interested in threads on how you did it either though.

There are many here driving vintage suspension cars long distances at high speeds.

There are many places where you can enjoy the Street Rod aspects of the hobby. On occasion I will check out the Hot Rod site. There are on occasion an interesting piece. For most of us there is no interest in a modern car running a vintage body. Nothing wrong with that if that is your preference, just not here.

Chucky and RMR&C like this.
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's a good analogy, Anthony. That's probably my biggest gripe ... that actual rock-solid definition of exactly what is "traditional". That's a good place to begin, in my mind.
    It seems to mean something slightly different to almost everyone on here, so guys will often overlook things on their own cars, but quickly call someone else's ride out for not being traditional enough.
    Oh ..., and let's at least consider that because you possibly once saw a photo of something in an old car magazine, doesn't necessarily mean that you are now a bonafide expert on hot rods or customs. There's quite a few old guys on here (that were there, back in the day) that you might actually learn something from, if given half a chance.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

How about a section just for those off topic subjects,I know there is a forum for those but personally I do not like having to go to another with all the knowledge that is here.

KustomKreeps and Happydaze like this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Half the cars on the HAMB are street rods in a traditional dress.

5. mountainman2

mountainman2

And the other half are just restored old cars and trucks.:D
    I'm just being a butt today.:(

6. ...i just cancelled my Facebook acct,...signed up years ago, never gave them any info to speak of, never used it,...people wanna talk to me they can call me, email or visit, don't need any other ways to communicate.
    ...love the HAMB and Garage Journal BTW,..lookin forward to the updates there
    keep up the great work you do on all your sites...

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before we begin, I want Ryan's pension too ;)

Anyways, Spec Ed and anthony, right on. There it is. There's a seed to this weed that seems to pop up when you don't want it (no, not that weed). There's a pretty big shift in the generations right now and it's leaving folk to interperate this shit on their own. Among those left we have the detail freaks who scan over old books with magnifying glasses, the payoff being that they know what it is. Sadly it's more than that.

Is the car built in a dirt floor garage with a set of torches and angle iron a holy grail of sorts? Are we less "faithful" if we have access to better equipment and have generally more talent than those we follow? No. And no. "But I know it when I see it." should be within all of us. I knew before I finished the 1st page of the OG post (hmm, is using 'OG' non-trad?). The same old tired comparisons of electric fans and 5 speeds and 2004rs and, well fuck it, you know what I mean. "...when I see it." So if we have to be so rigid that only those parts from way back when, a lot of which really were shit, or that only this paint, that upholstery mat'l, blah, blah, blah, well go into restoration. You'll love the AACA forum. In fact, screw this broadly defined hot rod/custom shit all together. Is that what we're about? Not in my experience. Anyone can argue anything from their own perspective given the time and respect. Respect. Respect. "You didn't have to say it 3 times." Well maybe I did.

I know it when I see it too. I knew it in the 60s as a little snot-nosed kid hanging out with Dad and his pals. I felt it when some of my pals later on just dialed 1-800-Hot Rods for their shit. I saw the 1st of billet come to the party, watched it take over and spawn a huge industry and legions of followers who had a terminal case of "gotta-have-its" and they're still with us. Fashion statements. Are those ever fun or rewarding? Hey, I was beginning to see "us" become a fashion statement too. Still do, but not nearly as bad as it was. You know too, you've seen em and maybe you too were one of em. Another weed spawned, that rod we don't mention as it was never real in the style of things we do. Just another errant mis-interperatation. None of that mentioned is bad, it's just off of our radar. I don't want the Classic Car Club of America to start allowing Fords in their schtick. I don't want the Auburn Cord Duesenberg club to allow Packards. Does that make sense?

I don't want to see anyone change their vision to meet this board either. If anything the opposite would be the natural course but we're not even close to that yet. There's enough of "us" that embrace the real. Enough of us who respect (that again?) the foundations. It shows when you don't focus on your 5 speed, bags, M-II or fuel injected 5 litre engine. Why those might be in there is understood and I get it. Most do and so be it. I recently finished a whole car that doesn't belong here. There's parts of it I've shared, and believe me there's not much more that I could or even want to. Not my style at all and once my car's done and he and I travel places I worry that my OG paint and old world charm may attract more attention than his high-zoot build. I won't have 10% of the time and money in mine that's in his. None of that is bad. I've warmed up to his a little too. Don't worry, I don't want one:eek:

My spin, my visions, they stalled just a wee bit later than the board's rules. My vision includes Jungle Jim, Grumpy Jenkins, Tommy Ivo, Big Daddy Don and Ed, L'il John and more. For me the music died when Big Daddy Don won the 71 nationals. We all know it HAD TO happen but gone was a certain thing that (not again) you know when you see it. Even though hot rods were bought with a payment book they were still hot rods too. Then that same year someone stuck their nose in it and it went away. Yeah, that's me, 1971 and older. I don't want this board to change for me, I can just cut that last little segment back and enjoy the earlier times with like-minded folk. More than enough tradition to go around. If you read this far, thanks for hearing me out. I don't want changes, defections, conformity for the sake of conformity, I like the challenge. The truth is not much looked as good in their day as they do today. Certainly they didn't do what we can do with em now as well. What should we be? Anything you want. What should we share? Well, You Kow It When You See It, right?

Thanks again...

8. Yes, this is true. While many of these cars fit the criteria of the HAMB, most of what we saw back in the day were just that. Old cars and trucks.

They weren't hi-tech, they were usually just daily drivers with slight improvements in power, handling and looks. That's what made them cool. :cool:

We NEVER saw purpose built cars like the ones pictured below. While they are very cool, they are a little overdone and probably don't exemplify a traditional hot rod very well. :cool:

It appears to me that everybody on both sides of the fence are going to have to lighten up a bit, or the HAMB will eventually become an exclusive old farts club. But then, what do I know, I'm just a painter. :)

1928FordLowboySedan2.jpg

Brian-Georges-31-Ford-Model-A-roadster.jpg

9. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thread. Thought-provoking stuff here.
    I love the traditional rods and customs, and yes, I know them when I see them. So even though I've been a member for awhile I'm not on here all that much and don't post unless I have something that actually somewhat contributes. The car I have now technically fits this forum but it's being put together in a style that's not really traditional. So I mainly just read. Pretty simple concept and not too tough to figure out.
    I do sort of like the idea of a "traditionally inspired" section that's been mentioned.
    But you'd still have to get people to actually READ those guidelines and FOLLOW them and KNOW where to put a thread and when they don't do any of that you'd have to moderate the thread and you'd still have people bitching and whining and....
    Hmmmmph. :rolleyes:

Thor1, mkebaird, KustomKreeps and 4 others like this.
  10. 117harv

117harv

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I vote for a car coat and blood initiation

Beanscoot, mkebaird and seb fontana like this.
  12. The fact is tradition on the HAMB will be defined by the bosses
    cool, this is their world
    I work with young folks and their perspective on this is always interesting. Many love old cars like fox body stangs.
    I do get tickled here when someone uses a technology available pre 65 but gets scoffed at because it was not 'common' in the day.
    and Roth and others are just anomalies......Heresy!
    anyway I got to get back to searching for some suitable pre WW2 motor oil so I can finish my period correct flatty

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

===============================================================

Start living with TEQUILA (short video below)

mkebaird and anthony myrick like this.
  14. It all boils down to following the rules/guidelines we have here and using common sense. If it doesn't fit in here, don't post it!!

Traditional gets fuzzy as Ryan stated. Technically, the HAMB itself is not traditional....nor are the internet, computers, or cell phones. None of that stuff was around when I started building cars!

Montana1 and Special Ed like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really thought we already do have that forum "The Hokey Ass Message Board". The forum is even unisex Custom/Hotrod/Race...giver...And if the Merc with argued wheel openings doesn't fit Traditional Custom...The Hokey Ass Message Board forum...no problems. You are No less a Hamber posting your builds or stories or pics there.

If in any doubt and I wasn't, it goes there. My Hotrod is inspired no ifs ands or buts. I also don't speak freely of these features of the Hotrod in respect to the membership and Board. It is not the focus.

As for the the tolerance of what is considered inspired in the inspired forum there obviously will be some discussion. I hope you fellas hang around. I will let the board direct and hope an amicable solution is found for you and others involved but honestly alot seems to already be tolerated and I am okay even though so many of these things don't interest me.

I have personally on numerous occasions advised others that they posted their thread in the wrong forum due to non traditional features. I do it as some are unaware for whatever reason and for the most part a thank you was the result and that is really a simple best option.

If ya still knowingly or go against the grain trying to push change in the wrong forum or for that matter even the inspired forum you just don't respect the essence of the place and you are in my opinion cannon fodder.

If they say bags, modern chassis swaps and Mustang ll are no go don't flaunt them...if you gotta talk this stuff PM about it. Most...even in the inspired areas don't want to see this stuff. So again cleverly avoid highlighting any of these attributes.

I like the Hamb. Thanks @Ryan and the team for your hard work to make it right always and thanks for your tolerance in the grey.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. Larryboy?

Larryboy?
    from Isleton,CA

Just a lurker here over the years. I really like how you've kept the place minimal, rather than dividing everything into little tiny sub-forums like some of the formerly huge forums where the sub-forum path killed the content.

Most of what seems to be the problem around here to an outsider seems to be the underpinnings. It seems to me that there is a group that strives to have a period appearing ride when completed, but they violate the intent of the HAMB during the build. If these guys came along and just posted a picture of the finished product the entire board would say 'cool car', but would be horrified of what's under the skin.

Why not add one little tiny sub-forum for those striving to have a period looking machine as an end product. The traditionalists don't have to enter that forum, so there isn't any accidental clicking on something that makes a person sick. Fuel injection better be hidden behind a hood, IFS swaps belong behind period correct wheels and full fenders so we can imagine it's done right.

2 cents and all that.

Back to the garage...

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again that forum is already here "The Hokey Ass Message Board," forum and you brought up a good point if one cannot stomach inspired stick to the Traditional Forums...Thats why they were implemented in the first place...and just to be clear I love Traditional Hotrod/Custom and all related...;)...and not to forget there are still rules which are constantly under review by the Hamb Leadership.

18. No, I wasn't. This is the fundamental flaw in the 'strict traditionalist' viewpoint. This site celebrates an era, pre-war to 1965 as 'traditional' and as the ideal to strive for. But when the history revisionists apply phrases like 'commonly used' to define what is 'traditional', they're attempting to push the innovators into the background and denying their contributions. The Ala Kart was certainly built in the traditional era and is an icon from that era, so claiming that it or any of it's features are now not traditional seems disingenuous at best. This isn't uncommon, either now or then; Ak Miller was kicked out of his car club in the early '50s for his 'unconventional' ideas, and I've seen cars built 'back in the day' picked apart here because they had so-called 'non traditional' features on them.

Don't get the idea that I'm advocating a free-for-all; most of us here know what a 'traditional' car should look like, but insisting that only 'common' parts can be used denies our heritage and promotes lowest-common-denominator cookie-cutter cars. Not to mention leaving us chasing a ever-shrinking pool of 'correct' parts.

Hnstray, Ned Ludd, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  19. suggestions/observations for the board of directors (since I think this may be the intention of the bossman for starting this conversation)
    you have the best sight for custom cars in my worthless opinion
    other places have 9 million sub groups with about as much traffic as main street at 3AM
    the HAMB is cool (in my view) due to the extremely talented people that post here
    turning a pressure cooker into an air cleaner does not take a lot of talent so Im glad that is not accepted here
    the tech stuff here is amazing. One could study this sight and should be eligible for a doctorates in hotrodology.
    I use this site in class often.I wish some of you could hear the thoughts of students from the many awesome builds posted here.
    I also understand that the bulk of the stuff I build is not trad in many folks opinions.....sometimes even mine
    so maybe a section/sub group called Sorta Kinda HAMBish But Probably Only If You Squint would be a good a way to satisfy the orthodox of our religious sect in separating some of us un-orthodox traditionalists

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hamb Twilight Zone...that would be 4 Forums perhaps a Sub Group...It would still need Rules and Guidelines and hopefully that would not open cross forum contamination...for lack of a better anology...Mods are busy enough already...

21. theHIGHLANDER said it far more eloquently that I did but hit it right on the head!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. I like that

the HAMB zone
    a land of blurred ideas and misguided attempts to build that which has never been built before, where tradition is a guideline,a suggestion a boundary to be pushed and bent.

INVISIBLEKID, pat59 and Stogy like this.
  23. pragmatist

pragmatist

But I still have the magazine!!

Special Ed likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Considering Ryan asked for input, I hope he can cull out some of the bellyaching and use some of the constructive critisism for its intended purpose.
    Never hurts to "clean house" once in a while, it's been done at least once in the short time I've been here and we survived it just fine.
    Not that I participate in it but it's like they say in the stock market; it's just an adjustment.

25. I think it all starts with the search function. People that don't know the HAMB do a google search on (OT part) on a hot rod. And up it comes so they start talking about (OT part) or posting about (OT part) If no one ever put (OT part) in their discussion it would never come up and we'd be insulated. Now to just go back and redact all of those words about (OT parts). :)

26. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Terribly sorry my build threads don't interest you.
    I'm sure your build threads are strictly traditional...
    I should check them out.

pat59 likes this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah? I'm already retired and limped to the hills and I'm drinking my pension but none of that rot gut tequila for me. Nothing but single malt Scotch. Next time you're in Tennessee, Ryan, drop by and I'll try to convert you from drinking cactus juice to something more refined. Or, we can try to convert each other.

TagMan likes this.
  28. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Wow! ( puzzled look on face-shaking head)

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Best response so far.

pat59 likes this.
  30. Best Forum on cars is right here, moderators do a great job! Yes 57 and 58 Cadillac Eldorados had factory air bags and were Rods and Customs in one car, Larry Watson dug (understood) that, so what, like this forum the way they run it. It is the Coolest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.