Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1928 Ford Roadster windshield post width dimension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TatMatt, Apr 13, 2018.

1. TatMatt

TatMatt

Hey all, I'm looking for the dimension from the center of one stanchion to the center of other stanchion at the top. I tried to find out the dimensions for tops but came up empty. I also searched here but to no avail. I mounted the stanchions on the body and the windshield does not fit, so I want to see what the theoretical number should. That way I can fix it to be correct. I don't want any surprises when I get a top.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 29ARoadster

29ARoadster

It's 44" on my '29

3. TatMatt

TatMatt

Do you use a stock top?

Matt

4. TatMatt

TatMatt

Mine measures 44 1/2". I am also thinking the tapered pieces that fit in the stanchions and locate on the windshield frame do not fit properly in the taper. They seem to only go in about a 1/4", which would not allow the windshield to fit. The tapered part of the stanchion is about 5/8" deep.

Matt

5. 29ARoadster

29ARoadster

My windshield frame fits to within 1/4" of the inside face of the stanchions each side. Mine is stock width but the stanchions were chopped 2". Original stock top also chopped 2". Nothing changed on the width.

6. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

1929 2": chopped windshield

windshield posts (center-to-center): 43-7/8
    clearance (window to stanchion): Top: .150" Bottom: .100"
    Windshield: 42-5/8 top, bottom 41". Height 12-1/2

It took me 2 days of adjusting the stanchion mounting area to get these dimensions.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  7. TatMatt

TatMatt

I can believe it took 2 days. I bought a new Brookville body and the while the metal is nice and new, it needs a lot of massaging to get where it should have been from the factory. Plus, I ordered it to sit on a '32 frame and it wasn't the correct width for the frame in the back. But fixing these problems is a lot easier than all the rust repair on the bodies I saw.

Thanks,
    Matt