Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 x 2 carb setup plumbing question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jswilke, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jswilke

jswilke

Offenhauser 3 x 2 manifold with 3 Rochester 2G carbs. Center carb has large port on base where my power brake vacuum hose is connected. Vacuum advance hose is connected to center carb ported vacuum source. I want to add PCV system...where is the best place to source PCV valve vacuum?

There is an additional unused small 1/8" threaded vacuum port on rear of manifold. Is that sufficient for PCV plumbing...seems too small. Is it a bad idea to T the center carb base vacuum port to share it for both power brakes and added PCV vacuum?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Good timing I am wrapping up a build of a 3x2 rochester setup on an Edelbrock intake.
    You want to use manifold vacuum for your distributor advance, Many carbs have the PCV / power brake teed in with the distributor advance and or transmission modulator. DSCN2795.JPG DSCN2796.JPG DSCN2797.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Use the 1/8" threaded vacuum port on rear of manifold for the distributor advance. T the pcv and brake booster off the center carb. The booster only uses vacuum when you step on the brake pedal, so it should be fine with the pcv.

loudbang likes this.
  4. jswilke

jswilke

Thanks for the input. Sounds like "T"ing the center carb base port is the way to go to feed PS booster and PCV.

IMG_20171224_172857.jpg

Donut Dave and loudbang like this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you Tee the power brake off the PCV it's like there's a vac leak to the booster. Don't ask how I know, it was maddening (!), but you want an independent source for power brake vacuum.

Johnny Gee, shawnsauto1 and loudbang like this.
  6. jswilke

jswilke

Next question...who to trust to rebuild my 3 Rochester 2G carbs? I've read many disturbing posts regarding Charlie Price and Dickster...some are really old posts. Where does a guy go today to get honest good service?

loudbang likes this.
  7. 28rpu

28rpu

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're looking for restoration/replating it can be a DIY experience. Not nearly as intimidating as it 1st seems. About a 2-3hr job as a beginner, 1/2 that once you find your groove.

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

10. jswilke

jswilke

I'm up to rebuilding myself. Sounds like Hotrodcarbs is a good source for kits and other parts.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My wife read a page on the Rochester 2G, same evening rebuilt 4 of them for a customer's '41 Ford p/u, SBC 327, Man-A-Fre. She installed them, set up linkage, started it and adjusted to perfect idle.
    No backfire on accel, ran smooth as silk.
    She does have a background in Webers & Zeniths, however...Porsche...

12. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just rebuilt three Rochester singles for my 235 on a Offy manifold. Got the kits from Mikes. http://www.carburetor-parts.com/ Good quality, great pricing and super fast delivery.
    Warren