Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 30tudorincali, Apr 10, 2018.

1. 30tudorincali

30tudorincali

So I drug home my model A Tudor a couple weeks ago. Nice car no rust through anywhere I've seen yet. I'd load a picture but I can't seem to figure out how. Anyway the guy I bought it from had it advertised as a 30. I believe it's a 31, grill is 31, running boards. Car is bone stock. I think judging by the paperwork it was restored some time in the 70s. Has a 1977 special construction title. Paint is failing here and there.
    A friend of mine has a suppoedly good running flathead out of a 50 shoebox he's doing a custom with. Also has the transmission, 3speed with electronic overdrive, but it's set up for column shifter. Is it possible/practical to convert it to a top loader? I'm thinking I want to go with a late 40s early 50s look. Been looking at tbt f100 steering conversion etc. I really want to try to keep it period looking. I will be keeping the fenders and lowering the stance. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks Paul

2. That OD trans is a side loader, so it would be impossible to make it a top loader. What you can do, is buy a shifter kit that makes it a stick shift instead of a column shift.
    You can do that engine/trans, rear end of choice, upgrade the steering to F1 and convert the brakes to hydraulic.

What you should do first, is pick up Vern Tardell/Mike Bishops "How to build a hotrod" book. They pretty much tell you everything basic about building an A-V8

3. With my above statement, another route is using a Ford bellhousing, run a top loader three speed trans from 1932-1939 (or up to 52 in 1/2 ton pickups). It would all bolt together sans clutch kit

4. 30tudorincali

30tudorincali

Thanks. I've been seeing the Tardel books mentioned a lot. Going to order them now. I appreciate the info on the transmission.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What rear end do you plan to use? Open or torque tube? Makes a difference when you are picking a trans.

6. 30tudorincali

30tudorincali

Probably an open. Just for availability, and cost. Plus it's familiar. I haven't seen the 50 trans. It should be open right?

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. So you can use a pickup transmission or a floor shift conversion. What we called "Corvet linkage" in the old days when they were the first ones we saw. By the way. I have one for sale. New in the box DSCN0089.JPG

classiccarjack and Texas Webb like this.
  8. I've had a couple of sparkomatic shifters back then.

9. 30tudorincali

30tudorincali

Nice. Looks like you aren't too far from me either. I'm in Manteca CA. I'd like to know what you want for it.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well it's really a rare and a very traditional hot rod part. So I am asking $150 OBO

classiccarjack likes this.