Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cooling battle flex vs ridgid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ponchoguy65, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Good point there thanks!

2. I went through a lot of trouble to put a GM shroud on my car. Nice and tight to the radiator, no big gaps for air to go around, the fan in the right place. That and the flex fan didn't make the difference I was looking for. I ended up with an electric fan set up on a thermostat and that was the answer.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume you mean rigid?

They also SELL cooling fans for a living, and if they can make another $30 they may be inclined to do so.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't remember the brand, I just went to the local parts house and got the biggest on that would fit my application.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This has been covered many times, run straight water and you'll soon be fighting heating problems due to rust and corrosion of the system. People say all kinds of things, the actual best recommendation according to the experts in the field of engine cooling is 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Deionized water is the preferred water to us (you can often get this at tropical fish stores), but reverse osmosis water is also very good. Tap water is not recommended in most area's of the country due to heavy mineral content. You'll likely get other recommendations from people that run from run straight tap water, to run reduced percentage of antifreeze, to use water & water soluble oil, and other home remedies based on urban knowledge and urban myth. Do yourself a favor and stick to the 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture, just buy it pre-mixed to avoid confusion. Try not to let the trolls confuse with all of the other crap. Just stick to the basics, 50/50 antifreeze/water. Get a cheep hydrometer at your local autoparts store, check the freeze point after you get the system filled. Drain and top off as needed to get the freeze point correct, and that will ensure you have the right antifreeze content (and additive content).

6. thought he meant ribbed

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  7. A clutch fan has been mentioned several times. I understood they ONLY kick in as the temp increases, perhaps not turning full speed at speed. So how does one help the OP?

Ben

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

I try to use OE manuf type cooling systems as much as possible. Clutch fans,radiators, etc. They spent millions designing them, what am I doing thats so different.
    If I find I need more cooling, go over the system and see what the problem is before I buy any parts.

Flex fans, I tried 3 different ones in the same car, clutch fan performed better. Not buying any more flex fans, personally.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  9. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

I'm going to experiment with the thermostat if I have to this summer and I went with the flex a lite 7 blade and put the opgi shroud on the radiator 1/2 in and half out on the blades and it didn't hit 190 idling for 20 minutes after an hour cruise but it was only 60 outside today so time will tell how well it will function in 100+ outside temps I also switched my vacuum advance from ported to manifold and it may be helping cool a little from what I've read thanks again everyone! -ribbed-