Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Matrix paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by linechaser32, Apr 5, 2018.

1. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Has anyone used Matrix brand paint? If you do, how do you like it? Pro’s and con’s.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Never used it but I have customers that sell it and they all rave about it.

3. I dont like the european style clear

4. flat 39

flat 39

I'm painting my PU with Matrix single stage acrylic urethane. This is the first paint job I've done in 50 years so I am no expert. the paint covers very well. Two coats is all that is needed. Easily covers 180 grit sanded primed. It has a little more orange peel than a factory paint job but that maybe my skill level and/or the equipment I used.

5. It’s a company that is a lesser known brand..basically a PPG DBC knockoff. I hate arguing about paint..there will be somebody that says “the big guys are raping you”...” just as good as”....those guys are saying that cause they ain’t a big guy! And a monkey can sell a product based on price... at the end of the day I still say ya get what ya pay for. Will it make your project look good, will it shine, will it spray out the gun...absolutely..they copied one of the “big guys”...follow the directions to a tee and you should have no issues.
    I’m not sure about their warranty and tech support, But chances are your doing a complete and you won’t need either of those.
    Post up some pics when your done

juan motime likes this.
  6. Sandpaper. Rubbing compound, and a wool pad will take care of that for ya

7. Easily covers 180 ? Wait til the solvents evaporate in a week or so and tell me that.

zzford likes this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

The 63 Impala in my avatar is Matrix. No complaints its as close to show quality as you can get.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. just a little info on lower line paints
    the solid/pigment content in these are lower than the higher line paints
    meaning, it may take more coats to cover or that a tinted sealer is needed to achieve full coverage
    so the savings may not be as much as you think it is

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  10. Another note on “less expensive” paint lines...FYI all the “big guys” have a lower line of paint. PPG is Omni, Axalta is Nason, BASF is Limpco. All can be bought at a local paint jobber, the price is usually very comparable to “the less expensive guys” ya have a counter guy that can help ya out if ya got questions, and again the other guys more than likely copied that product as it’s the “ big guys” older technology. I just feel I’ll take my chances with a local guy and use them as a resource if any issues arise. Again assuming your doing completes things like paint match go out the window...just my 02

11. have the guy print you the tech sheets on the products
    lots of good info there that the counter guy may not be able to answer
    I try not to buy paint from guys that sell mufflers though.

flatheadpete likes this.
  12. threewindow

threewindow

I painted my roadster with it. First job and last with it. Spilled a little gas on it a couple of months later and it washed the paint right off. You get what you pay for.

13. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Matrix brand on my 64 Chevelle this fall, selected it because the paint cards (sample cards painted by the paint supplier) showed the closest match to the original color. I was told that some of the economy brands use 7 tints while better brands use more tints making it easier to match an original color. The economy brand looked almost orange using the same color code. 20170717_115543.jpg 20170717_115728.jpg 20170717_115748.jpg

14. I use Matrix all the time. Just ordered a gallon of K2, activator and Reducer today for my 36 Ford truck highboy....Matrix was started by a couple of former PPG employes that started their own company..Paint is priced better than PPG. The Urethane clear shoots and lays out great..if you have a good gun, with little orange peel. I paint here in my small garage with a crappy Kobalt 5 hp compressor and DeVilbis finish line. 2-3 coats of color and 3-4 coats of clear...covers fine. I have not used single stage Matrix, just 2 stage. It is NOT second line or second grade material.
    The "Boogie Man" put 5 cars in Cobo Autorama this year and took home 5 trophies, all he uses is Matrix..He was featured at their SEMA booth this year because of his success using their product.
    P.S. on an earlier comment....I do not paint color after 180 sanding..I tend to go to 400 or 600 then put the color down..former body shop manager at a major dealership gave me the business once for not going the extra mile...he was right..same for rubbing/wet sanding..go to 2000 if you have the patience
    100_5329.jpg 100_5340.jpg 100_6356.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  15. nice color choice

16. Matrix is good stuff.
    Who's a copy and not a copy vs who's the original engineer and went on his own is a bone I'll throw out and watch the big dogs fight over.

17. For the all overs most of us do the lower line paints are great. When having to match colors when a pay check depends on it the high line stuff is needed

tb33anda3rd likes this.