Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the coolest thing you found in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kentucky, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

That really IS a beautiful car! Let me know if you ever decide to sell it.

2. belair

belair

WOW^^^ Beautiful

3. philo426

philo426

Look at that thing!Looks absolutely show room new!Even the trim looks new!

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Sorry, I sold that a few years back. It went to Germany. It is a beautiful car alright!

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-28_4-40-58.png
    A recently found business card from 1959-1960: A simulated engine turned, "orange-ish" color for max visibility, etc. The postal zip code in those days was just a double digit number. The phone number was two letters of a whole word and the 5 digit number. Prior to 1959, our phone number used to be, GArfield 60457. We always thought that it was because of the nearness to the elementary school called GARFIELD ELEMENTARY.

Hello,

I remember that after our Willys accident at Lions, we left these business cards in the glove box of the 58 Impala. There were times that when talking to other hot rod guys/girls elsewhere and to build up our small business, these cards were a necessity. So, the glove box was handy. When I sold the 58 Impala in 1965, they were put into the glove box of the El Camino. That lasted until 1974 when I sold the El Camino.

Their final resting place was in that glove box of the second, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for those final years. We never handed them out, they were just a remnant of the good old days and the years of good luck since. In that second 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, they were joined by another box of cards called “Photographic Works.” Our new photo journalist/custom photography business. Those, we did hand out at all of the hot rod runs, picnics, car shows, etc.

They were a good luck item from 1960 to today. Why? We have had great luck with the 58 Impala, the 65 El Camino, the two 40 Ford Sedan Deliveries and all of the cars we have owned since those times. (My wife always tells her friends that I take such good care of our cars that they last a long time…ha!) I found the small cards inside of a memorabilia box from the 60s and they came from those old glove boxes of the hot rods we used to own.

Jnaki

Excerpts about the business cards in past stories:

“We decided that we could also start a business out of our converted garage, building engines and selling parts to our friends. The name? Precision Racing Engines, Long Beach,CA HEmlock 60457 (phone)…so our business cards said so on one side.

It was a thriving business for us and it allowed extra income for our own custom stuff. But, it was mostly custom parts for our friends. instead of driving to all of the shops to find a part, they would call us and a deal was made. We did not advertise anywhere, it was just word of mouth advertising and of course, our cars.”

“Finally, we got an “official” resale number and that allowed us to be a “real” engine building/garage speed shop. We even had some business cards made up and that helped with our mail orders from out of our local/state suppliers. (making inquiries in a typed letter form plus our business card) our resale number was sent to them if we ordered something, later. We had a dealer purchase order number for our old racing company. It saved us a bundle.”

“Later on, even when we were out of drag racing after the accident, we tried to keep the small business going…but it was disheartening looking at an empty garage, except for tools. Also, my mom kept asking why men kept knocking on the front door of the house asking for some precision racing something or other…(we had never told her that we had started a small business in the back garage.)

Finally, those guys stopped coming when we put out a sign that said that… “Due to circumstances beyond our control, Precision Racing Engines is now closed. We also notified the local speed equipment association that we were closed. (early SEMA)"

“We were doing quite well and started a business called “Precision Racing Engines,” a name we had printed on cards to hand out at the local drive ins, Lions, and car shows. We were true backyard hot rodders. We sent our cards with a nicely written letter explaining what we do in our business.

In return, most manufacturers gave us discounts for parts. We did not know about resale taxes or profit margins as we bought and sold parts to friends and customers. The more we sold, the better our “rep” with the industry. We did not make a profit except for discounts on our own parts.”

“Now, with the experience of our old Precision Racing Engines Company from 1959-64, the Photographic Works photo business in the late 1960’s-1976, I learned that a business license and dealer tax exempt status allowed me to purchase stock skateboard stuff at a drastic discount for the builds. We were even in the first Action Sports Catalog as a new So Cal company. Sunshine Scooters…”

wicarnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Had a 1986 Rolls delivered from Northern Ohio to Texas on a open trailer,
    found in the glove box a 1911 Colt 45 fully loaded with no serial number.
    Contacted the shipper, he said it was not there when he shipped it.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also found a 1911 and some ammo in an old Ford I bought in 64-was under the seat. Shot the ammo up and sold it. My 40 had a 1940 nickel and dime in the bottom of the pass door-now in the ashtray.

8. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

The Coolest Thing I've found in an old car is PATIENCE.

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have gotten my share, too.

belair, Dave Mc, FrankenRodz and 2 others like this.
  10. Myself. :)

Deuces likes this.
  11. 0nedon

0nedon

Found a silver dollar in my '57 caddy, bought it in Reno Nv. Explains the silver dollar, probley all he had left!

12. Mud dauber nest under the hood of the slightly ot Olds. IMG_20180330_092437621.jpg A NINTEEN holer!

13. thunderplex

thunderplex

14. A few years ago I bought a 2011 Chevy malibou for the wife. The car had been reposessed by the bank. When I got it home I went through the car and cleaned every nook and cranny. I found a $2,500.00 womens wedding ring. Did some research on the previous owner and found that she was no longer married so we kept it.
    Vic

15. For me it would have to be my grandfather`s '56 Fairlane. On the floor behind the front seat was one full case of Exxon 10w30 Uniflo oil cans still in cardboard tray with plastic wrap intact. There was a second case on top of that one that had the plastic wrap cut and one quart can was missing. I didn't find it in the car but I found in the shed that I did throw in the car to bring home was two sets of old pre 1980`s oil can spouts and one pre 1980's transmission can spout. Also a bunch of old used Champion plugs for a 292 Y8 that were placed back in the original box.

1956 Fairlane Town Sedan 204.JPG

DBruce and Beanscoot like this.
  16. philo426

philo426

Yes I remember that chrome spout that you pushed into the top of the cans!

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

in 1963 I was working with my uncle Clyde at Cycle Center in Fremont , Ca. he had bought a 1936 Chevy pickup , asked me to wash and vacuum inside and out . under the seat I found a 1865 Dime , gave it to him and I never saw it again.

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

1865 dime struck at Philadelphia seems to have a value of about $500 to $1000 in common circulated grades, more in higher grades.

Same dime in similar grades struck at San Francisco lists for about $100 to $500, more in higher grades.

19. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Got a call a few years back, guy wanted to know if I was interested in buying a 1930 Ford sedan project from his deceased Uncle's estate. Body had new wood,repainted but not on chassis. Chassis included with a few extra parts. Got some fuzzy pictures, made the deal. I had my buddies go pick it up for me as I was working @vince76 and @skipskip . Got a call from them as they drove back. A few extra parts turned into the body filled up as well as Vince's truck stuffed full.. Thought this is good. A ton of parts came along that were not mentioned.
    Best part was the complete 25 louver 1932 Ford hood on the bottom of the pile in the car body. :D Made my day

DBruce likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-2_4-28-0.png upload_2018-4-2_4-28-30.png
    Hello,

This is the last card found in one of those old glove boxes during those old photo journalist days. Saturday, it was found in another small box inside of a different family memorabilia container. This is the last one. Since I made the original one with the photo business, I added an ink stamp for the back of all photos/color slides I gave away back then. Then it was put on the back of every original business card. This card is the last of its kind in memories.

The photo card represented not only hot rods and customs, but I was delving into surf photography and photojournalism on that end of the spectrum. But, as I found out, I thought the hot rod/custom cars/motorcycles editorial staff was tough. The surf industry was much more specialized using their own photographers, with very few photos accepted for stories from outside photographers.

Jnaki

That card represented a 10 year chapter in photos/ hot rods /surfing /motorcycles, travels, etc. Each bit of memorabilia helps stimulate the tired old brain cells.

21. 1542836716584-37305242.jpg Today's score! Cleaned up the rust, moldy leather coming apart.
    Found it under a truck seat.

22. philo426

philo426

Looks like the po was expecting serious trouble!

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  23. verde742

verde742

time to run this again,,under the seat of a '34 Plymouth coupe., IMG_1896.jpg

24. n0-label, home dubbed cassette tape under the seat of a repo (I always gave back to the owner anything of real value and, most often, had them present when I inspected it the first time.)

How I came to appreciate the band, "Candlebox".

raven likes this.
  25. Did you keep the Smith target model? Those will shoot 1 MOA group at 50 yds.

26. That wasn't a 1957 Chevy short bed step side was it?? It sure does look familiar....

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  27. Nope, an ancient Ford work truck.

31Dodger likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Them look like newer bills...

31Dodger, RMONTY and Jake.forbis like this.
  29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Found a nice loaded revolver under the seat of my daughters first vehicle we bought a few years ago:eek:
    We did return it:rolleyes: guy says oh yeah, sorryo_O
    Found lotsa change over the years, Dad had a small junk yard at one time when I was a kid and I remember I found a "Chuck Mangione" 8 track tape once and thought I had struck gold......at first:D

30. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My husband.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.