Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Being frugal bit me again ,but ya knew it would

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dana barlow, Mar 16, 2018.

1. BJR

BJR

Why do you think it broke?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. upspirate

upspirate

How bad are the walls?

dana barlow likes this.
  3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Its not the gluin that's tough, its the sanding to make them smoothe that's where the money is.
    I traded a running 401 Nailhead, needing rebuild, but the guy drove it 32 miles to his place for a .60 over Y, 292.
    There are 4 Y's in the stable and many parts. I gotta do something with them.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Why broke? Best guess is a backfire;,it dose a pop from carbs some times when I'm stupid enough too try an take off from a lite,were we{line of hot rods going places} didn't really stop fully at,as it turned green just as we were almost stoped,so am still in 2 gear,not first{is not syc. 1st}. I'm the only hot rod old enough to still be standardshift 3speed,all the others have Grandmom trannys{Automatics} LOL
    The cly wall had no big scratchs,so I honed it and looked very good.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Tim_with_a_T, pat59, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Retire for the nite,its 9pm. So far I hunted up another stock Y piston ,cleaned ring groves an match balanced it with in 2GM. of one I just took out{I don't trust ringland size,trashing one I took out}. Honed cly,cleaned an put newer piston with new rings back in motor,lockT the rod bolts<<so that's back together. AM if I feel like it,start putting head an intake back on,and pan/put the oil ,filter,an water back. Then all the rest.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Tim, catdad49, Tim_with_a_T and 8 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

So if you are up to it, you could be back on the road by Sunday!!!!! Go Man Go

7. Great job, you'll be up and running in no time.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sounds WIN WIN to me!:)

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Have to ask. What's the taper on the cylinder and did you check ring gap down below where the stroke ends?

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There's a lot of both cly an piston wear,too many miles,and no $$$ to do anything about it,rings are stock=gap is now fairly big,but its what it is an will have to do what ever for now. I fully know this is a Mickymouse fix,just what is posible for now to get rolling again. Plan is keep having some fun,an try an scrap enough $$$ together for a good rebuild. Tell then,we'll see if this fix works better then having 7clys an smoking like a cho cho train. Should be running by this week an I'll report on bad or good. Not every thing I ever fixed worked over the last 65 or so years of nuts an bolts,but most has!

rpm56, loudbang, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing Mickey Mouse about it. That's this hobby at it's best. It's only Mickey Mousing if one doesn't know better. A fine line, and you know what side your on. That's the difference. You accept and know what is going on.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Our group of hotrods that run around town together,an to shows or lunch ,or pizza etc. Best way to let all of you ride along here in Miami Florida is enjoy this ride of our cars,Marks32red,Roshs23red ,Lance's blue23 an my 28black. 32Mark Brushman put this together; https://quik.gopro.com/v/kNf4NudaLK/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Baumi and loudbang like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

Not a Mickey Mouse fix at all. During the 1950's cars were fixed like that all the time and they went many more miles because of it. Most corner gas stations would "rebuild" engines like that without ever removing the engine from the car. Remove the heads, send them out for a valve grind, remove the pistons, hone the cylinders, new rings and gaskets and back on the street. Been done thousands of times with good results.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

THANKS FOR THE PIC .Those guys were my heros. I have a lot of pics of B A cars but never seen that one. There were 2 brothers who raced down there,They move to Southern TN and started racing with us at Huntsville . I think his name was Kenny Andrews.Anyways don't want to hijack your thread.Good luck on Y-block

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great video Dana.
    Was watching it and about shit. I found my first full build ever. I’ve given up on seeing it again.
    Any more pictures or news of the 50 pickup??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sorry, some shows have 100 to 500 cars show up once a month,so I don't know every one,but can keep n eye for the truck.

loudbang and Petejoe like this.
  17. I wonder if this issue would have still occurred even with a fresh rebuild. If: Lugging in 2nd gear is what did it... Denotation is denotation. Therefore don't feel guilty about being frugal...

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Not much done today/sunday,did do a new PSI check on #5 cly after hone an other piston put in,head back on.= now 95lbs,better then the 35# it was,may even get a little better after rings seat better, if I get the rest running close to right again. !
    I took a brake,used my son's hot rod 23T {he was working,said I could} to go to a car show. Nice day an about 150+ cars came out. His "Pandora" is always fun to drive an with just over 400+ HP Chevy Vett power,makes my Ford Y seem tame,even when the ThunderBird Y is at its best. Still think my Y sounds better though LOL
    lance's23Tat Dennys.jpg

Stogy, loudbang, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

95lbs. What was your supply pressure?

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Looks like you’re getting it handled Dana. That isn’t Mickey Mousing, it getting it done old school like when you had more know how than cash!

loudbang, INVISIBLEKID, czuch and 2 others like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

95 psi is pretty good for rings that are not seated.

22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,good day,we're back running !!!!
    After doing first start after another piston,hone n rings,oil,filter,gaskets it still sounded like crap* but didn't smoke! ****
    So time to fix why the rings broke,an that as I said before was likely a backfire/detonation maybe from lugging or something.

So I now added another set of plugs n gapped them{OK actully not new plugs but cleaned another set of old plugs in sandblaster plug gizzmoe with the little sand bag. Also cleaned n gapped points,plus replaced condenser*****.
    Started it again,WOW rans like new,well OK not new but sounds good now an no smoke.
    My guess is condenser was crapping out/yes I love my points n condenser just fine,an do have spair set in tool box behind seat.
    Thanks to all those that passed along ideas!
    I'll be posting how this weekend run goes later.

kidcampbell71, Stogy, pat59 and 9 others like this.
  23. Glad to hear the fix is working good. Don't make any apologies about the fix, we all do what it takes at different times to stay driving. Have fun, and when you get the money saved you can do the full rebuild.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good for you. Dana. Glad the broken rings didn't give you a deep score you couldn't have 'honed out' :eek:
    What do you adjust your valve lash at? (cold) Just curious, I had a neat trick that lowered E.T.s in my '56 292...

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Mild cam{Schooler},what we called 3/4 race,today would be street-n-strip,anyway I use highlift rockers *on intakes{they are stock extra lift for Thunderbird #ECG} an stock standard lift on EX#66,cold .016
    There was a time I had all highlift rockers,but had two brake an a lot of wear showing on a few,picked the best 8 an run those on IN.an some good standard rockers on EX,the bleed off for rocker shafts are blocked off=better oil psi to them. Heads=#113
    I'm trying to get the motor back to running this good in this older vid,but not there yet,but close. A few more things to check out,sounds alright at idle but not under load yet running down the street. It is much better then it was,just not were I want it yet.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  26. wannerstudios

wannerstudios

If you don't remove the cylinder wall ridge before putting in the new rings and pistons they can break the rings just like this.

27. Great job Dana! Fixed it like a real mechanic. :)

28. christmas tree

christmas tree

Dana Like that intake. My brother and I used a Ford drive shaft on our Olds, 4, 97s 1958 or 59 as I remember.

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Worked well running to car show last nite n pizza after. Got it back to being as good as it was 6 months ago,so happy now. Not smoking now an all 8 are working as good as 100.000+miles pistons block can. total cost of fix was time/free n about $60 with a few old used parts. Thanks for input from all who pitched in. On the road awsome.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad it all worked out Dana.

dana barlow likes this.