Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone use a toyhauler for their cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

When the '32 is done, the wife and I will be going racing and will need a trailer. Rather than go with just an enclosed or flat car trailer, I've been looking at toyhaulers so we have some "home" with us as well as the car being enclosed. Anyone use one or have experience with them? Another advantage is having onboard fuel stations, but the '32 will be around 2k lbs dry. Thinking 5th wheel is best, but don't know what the weight distribution would be like.
    Pros, cons?

2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Look very closely at the loading specs.....I had the same idea but toy haulers couldn't support the floor loading of my 32 roadster. I don't remember the length of the toy area....might be a limit also

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Look at Featherlight car haulers with living quarters. Much better that toy boxes. They aren’t cheap! I used an F-250 to haul mine.

4. Get an old school bus. Camper in front hot rod storage in back
    Win win

R A Wrench and Donuts & Peelouts like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Most toy hauler will not accommodate the weight and length of a car, not even a small roadster.
    They are designed to haul motorcycles or 4 wheel quad ATVs at most and some of the bigger 4 wheeled ATVs are now too big also.

As mentioned above.
    https://www.fthr.com/products/car-trailers/living-quarters
    https://mogreatdane.com/custom-trailers/auto-hauler/race-trailers-with-living-quarters/
    http://www.rpmtrailersales.com/categories/living-quarters-trailers
    http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-LivingQuarter.html

There's no cheap out way to go here, hope you have a big check book. :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

LBCD likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this idea
    upload_2018-3-27_11-16-47.png

Donuts & Peelouts and LBCD like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Several suggestions from a person who has had a bumper pull, Gooseneck, toyhaulers and motorhome. First stay away from a bumper pull toyhauler that would be big enough to haul a car and live in, period. If you go with Gooseneck and are going to buy new, have it custom made,ie strong floors and ramp and axle placing reflecting the weight of the car. If buying used, the floor can be strengthened, as can the ramp, but finding one with a garage long enough for your car could be a problem. The toy haulers with a garage are a lot better trailer that the ones with out a garage. Two heavy axles and tires are better than three lighter axles. We now travel in a motorhome with a small bumper pull trailer, for us it’s great, but does have some short comings, depends on the person traveling and what important to them. Bones

9. My bus is insured
    B60140C1-4BDC-4596-86DE-1372BC44B6E0.jpeg

10. The Mysterion needs a hauler. I bought this 16 ft trailer at a commercial auction. Spent some time fixing dings, changing brakes and giving it a paint job that might not get stolen. I heard that 30% of all trailers in the US are broken into or stolen every year, thus the paint which a thief would think twice about driving down I5. Also I studied hitch and door locks and discovered YouTube videos that show how they can be defeated in seconds since most are made of pot metal. A blow with a hammer defeats most of them. I built custom steel locks and hidden secondary locks which should at least slow down the thugs.

I installed a 12V, 2500# Harbor Freight winch which sucks the car in nicely.

I HATE pulling trailer but this one pulls pretty nicely. Only problem I have encountered is pulling the Grapevine grade out of Bakersfield. My F150 with the small V8 slows down to about 30mph in 2nd gear but makes it over. Otherwise it drags it around just fine.

And before you comment, those aren't the tie-down straps I use. I use much heavier ones, those are just what I had lying around as a trial fit.

trailer done.jpg
    IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Tell me about the two rear ends. Bones

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked into the toy hauler thing several years ago and ran into the same "won't handle the weight" thing.
    Another option might be checking on Racing Junk for a purposely designed car trailer with living quarters in the front. Sometimes the living area is a bit sparse but that can be addressed.
    Or buy a longer car hauler trailer with enough space up front to put decent living quarters in and take it to Duster Campers in McGregor TX to have a custom living quarters put in but that can get spendy in a hurry. They do living quarters in the big fancy horse trailers.

13. Mysterion built by Ed Roth in '63 was outrageous then and is still outrageous 55 years later. He built the car to mimic the dual engine gas dragsters of the day which were made necessary due to NHRA banning nitro-methane fuel as "too dangerous". Racers got the needed horsepower with double the cubic inches. Roth's magnificent show car used two Ford Fe 390 engines, supposedly two Cruise-O-Matic MX trannys and two banjo differentials. I say supposedly since I have pretty reliable evidence he only used one tranny. I built my clone to be drivable (I haven't driven it yet - don't want to blue the headers but I have started and run one engine for a few seconds). It has only one running engine, one tranny and one differential with one looong axle and one short axle. The other engine is hollowed out with my plasma torch and holds the alternator inside the block run with a stub shaft that looks like the crankshaft on the outside.

The car is a cartoon piece of fine art so don't get too serious trying to make sense of it!

14. As suggested, to handle the weight of a real car, you need a truck based motorhome. Look on racingjunk.com and put "garage" in the search term. You are talking about a class 8 truck conversion to have the garage in the back of the motorhome. Or just use a regular enclosed trailer behind a standard class A or Super C (medium duty truck based) motorhome that is rated to pull the enclosed trailer. Typical class C (1-ton van chassis) will not have the towing weight capacity you need. Fifth wheel toy haulers are only designed for lighter weight motorcycle/ATV/Golf Cart type loads. Most are also only 10 ft garage length.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  15. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Why not a motor home with a tilt bed trailer to haul rod?

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, Jeff, after going back and looking at your other threads, I feel like I must have been on the moon for a while! I scrolled through your thread on the making of your car, and after picking up my lower jaw off the ground, where it fell, after seeing your build, I was IMPRESSED.

What kinda tickled me was that a guy of your skill and abilities was so inpressed the workings of the trailer brakes! While they are an engineering marvel, we cattle men in Oklahoma have been loving and cussing them from what seems like the beginning of time. Lol Guess it’s where your raised!

I was familiar with “ Big Daddy” growing up in Oklahoma, even had friends imitate his drawings, but really didn’t follow his cars that much. They were a little radical for me, loved the traditional rods of the day. Took my son to the Rats Hole in Daytona when he was young to introduce him to Roth’s works.
    Again I want to say I’m impressed with your work, hope to see it in person someday, Bones

VANDENPLAS and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  17. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

My buddy had a 33' Weekend Warrior and he squeezed his Jeep JK Unlimited (4 door) on 37's in it! It was a bumper pull too. The Jeep had to weigh at least 5K #'s. I'd think a Deuce would fit with no issues and the weight wouldn't be a factor. Soke of those SxS's probably weigh more.

He eventually sold it and had a custom built gooseneck built that he paid over $50K for!

PS: Just did a quick search on some Weekend Warriors and a tandem axle bumper pull shows load weight capacity of 4,100 lbs.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Don’t forget that that 4100 lbs. has to cover all the equipment for camping/living plus water. I run every RV and trailer over a certified scale and always surprised at what stuff really weighs.

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this one at GG Des Moines. Had living quarters in the front with a movable wall to make it bigger when the car was out of the box. IMG_0770.JPG

20. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I have a 30 foot bumper pull toy hauler. Use it for ATVs ,it is not a widebody so hauling a car is not an option. Bumper pulls are fine, if you have a big enough tow rig and a GOOD equalizing hitch
    Toy haulers are built with the same lack of quality as a standard RV, but they are not usualy treated as well as a standard RV...overloading...dirt roads....improper cargo securement etc. Finding a good used one can be pretty tough.
    The car trailers with living quarters are USUALLY better built, but there are exceptions

21. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I have a 44' car hauler with living quarters. 20' of living and 24' shop. I actually live in it 5 days a week while away at work. I have a 40 truck chassis that I am building inside and work on it in the evenings after work. These type of car haulers are designed to do what you need unlike a toy hauler which is for motorcycles and ATV's.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      341.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      179.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
  22. Hauled my 32 in an Attitude toybox bumper pull without issue. If it fits and meets weight ratings I wouldn’t overthink it.

23. Thanx for the kudos. As far as your laughing at my fascination with trailer brakes goes, you have exposed my total hatred for everything trailer! Getting this one was a necessary evil so is my first exposure to this technology. As mentioned in another thread about this trailer I am not very impressed with the technology that goes into making trailer specific tires. Here is what happened to the never-used spare that I set in the Bakersfield sun while I was freshening up the interior of the trailer. In its defense, it was probably the original and around 20 years old.

To tie my ramblings to the original topic of this thread, I think getting a motor home that serves the travel and lodging purpose well then a trailer to haul the toy is a much better solution. Gives you a tad more flexibility in your travel. Probably a bunch cheaper too? The pros all haul the cars separately.

HOT!.JPG

24. harleyddad

harleyddad

Check out a Forest River Work and Play 30FBW. This unit is a car trailer with living quarters rated for about 4000 lbs. Can get them fairly well equipped. will require a 250/2500 truck to pull it.

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

A lot of great points. I like the Forest River Work and Plays, but would like a 5th wheel with the bed in the overhang.

26. badvolvo

badvolvo

Currently looking at used RV's to pull my trailer / with car inside. Most of them I have been looking at have so much overhang past the rear axle, I don't think it's going to work out unless I find a shorty. Spending too much on the build of the car, cannot spend alot on an RV.
    So if you're pulling a trailer with a small RV, post some pictures for me please.

27. rpent

rpent

I bought one from Carson trailers in California and had them build it strong enough to haul my 50 ford woodie.Its called a Titan Funrunner.It was anout 17k in 2008.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.