Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1925 Dodge Roadster Speedster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Snedhead, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Snedhead

Snedhead

Hey guys introduced myself a while ago and it's looking like I'm ready to get rolling now that my shop is cleaned up. I bought this car kind of on a whim and realized I need help. I have built 60s cars and have 20180215_115742.png 20171118_110104.png loved muscle cars since forever. This is my first entry into the traditional world and I just don't know anything. I don't even know the right words to search. This car was built in the 60s and been in storage since. I think it's too 60s hotrod on the front. How do I fix this? Or am I wrong and just building a hood and sides will fix it. I have a stock model a axle I'm going to send out to be dropped and ditch the tube axle. I'm not sure the year of the frame but it's ford. Wish I had a dodge grill but that is proving difficult to find. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Actually,it's a pretty nice looking car,kinda got a trackster look going on,i really lie to boat tail look.

I do agree with replacing the tube axle,especially with the split bones.HRP

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I agree with HRP

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I like it just like it is.

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.

5. That thing is freakin cool! The axle and finned drums do look a bit too 60's to me.

Cosmo50 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

I like it too!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

8. Snedhead

Snedhead

So you guys don't think I should move the radiator forward and put the grill shroud so that it covers the leaf spring mount? I think I am used to seeing so much less of the spring on some of these other cars that are "traditional" built in the 40s and 50s.

Motor is just a stock 4 banger with a down draft early holley 2 barrel.

9. Man, that car is cool. I could see a beam axle, yes. I wouldn’t bother hiding the mount, or anything else, for that matter. But that’s just me.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about a mopar double dip front axle? Post in the parts wanted for a dodge radiator shell. I'm sure someone out there would have one or a Kool little track nose would look right at home on it.

flynbrian48, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What's wrong with the tube axle?? Probably from a 35/6 Plymouth. Needs some lever friction or houdaille type dampers up front. If memory serves that has a combo starter generator, and odly enough is a 12 volt system. Does it still have the vacuum fuel pump? Big canister looking thing on the pass side firewall.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. junkman8888

junkman8888

(1) Tube axles and split bones don't mix, so you're on the right track replacing the front axle with a dropped vintage beam axle.
    (2) Dump the Buick drums if you want to keep the wire wheels. Yes, I know you can adapt the two but the spacer required gives you an incredible (and dangerous) amount of scrub radius.
    (3)The boat tail. As a concept, I absolutely love it, at present, the execution leaves much to be desired. My advice: Replace the Dodge body with a '26 T cowl and doors, then remake the boat tail. My justification for this change is every other component of the car, (frame, engine, suspension) is vintage Ford, the replacement of the body would make the car less of a "mutt". Best of luck with your project.

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  13. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i think you should try and get a '26/27 turtle back and take the boat tail off. it would go with the body better. you could sell the whole front axle with brakes, but keep the bones, for a good price to some street rodder, to off set the cost of a i beam axle and juice brakes. with the type of body you have the boat tail should be longer anyway.

14. Snedhead

Snedhead

I just looked up this axle and now it is on my want last but probably a later upgrade. I will try the wanted section. Track nose might work but some reason I have yet to find one I like.

It is setup with a modern alternator I need to downgrade that as well. The tube axle I'm pretty sure is a catalog order axle but from the 60s. Frowned upon if I want to be able to enter it into TROG.

15. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

Did you pick this up in Ohio?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jalopy racer...as eluded...exposed springs were common...whats the history?
    No speedster backs but why not and maybe there were and if
    you can't live with the boat tail style back turtle deck it...
    Last pic has tube axle.
    Some of those racers were pretty sharp looking.

T_roadster_2.JPG

Ladies and T.JPG

Nightime race soon.JPG

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love the boat tail, looks pretty cool how it is now

Stogy likes this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm pretty sure the last pick is a mopar double dip.

Stogy likes this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

I love your car just the way it is and would not change anything much less than put a T body on it.:eek:

RMR&C likes this.
  20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Keep the body! Lots of folks like mongrels. Putting more ford parts on it just makes it like most others. Start different stay different.

thebearded1! and exterminator like this.
  21. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

That is one cool car. I would keep it the way it is, just get it street legal so you can drive it around.

thebearded1! likes this.
  22. Really cool as is! Make it safe and go.
    Body appears to be early 20's Overland, not Dodge.

thebearded1! and Atwater Mike like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, the axle is a 'double-dip'. But it's a mid '30s Chrysler, (proper) not a Dodge or Plymouth; Moot point, but the Chrysler dipped down in the center, where the Dodge/Plymouths dipped forward.
    This roadster was pictured in Mark Morton's 'Hop Up' magazine, third edition.

The 'scheme' of this 'Boattail' roadster may be 'vague', but to simply change everything for the sake of conformity...Chrysler/Plymouth front axle would be great, but consider that the originals were semi-elliptic in design, and it binds up when used with split 'bones...
    A stock Ford wishbone could be substituted, with transverse leaf.
    Agree on finding or building a bulbous nose that would cover the 'bulldog' mount, just for aesthetics. A nice aluminum hood top would tie the cowl together nicely, and separate it from the rash of '27s that make up the majority.
    Just 'clean up what's here'. Ford spindles work on MoPar 'double dip' axles, just larger diameter king pins. Stainless steel bushings in the axle for Ford pins, or ream the Ford bushings to MoPar pin diameter.
    If using stock Ford wishbone, hanger bores must be fitted with good steel tubing bosses.
    Doane Spencer had a 'double dip' axle on his famous '32 Hiboy for a short time, one of many. That axle was more popular back then, I recall 4 drag cars that ran them at the San Jose drag strip ('Little Bonneville') in 1952-1955...
    Best thing, I've seen them at Turlock and one in the swap area of Eagle Field last year, they are still around. (found one on Craigslist, under an old trailer, $50 or best offer)
    Love that axle...but '37Kid had a Franklin axle awhile back...the Holy Grail!
    Every car I've ever built revolved around the front axle. The first was a '37 Ford V860 tube, man...I loved that axle.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a double dip running Ford spindles and wish bones. IMG_1173.JPG

Nailhead A-V8, waxhead, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  25. The boat tail has hard points in the what should be "fair" curves ,thats about all i would change. It looks like a lot of fun and bet it draws alot of attention being just what it is

26. Snedhead

Snedhead

Alright so it sounds like swapping the axle is really the only mandatory thing. I'm going to work on cleaning up the rough weld work and try to get this thing rolling soon. I have more questions but will wait till I get to those problems. Thanks for all the replies guys.

27. Stogy likes this.
  28. Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  29. dwollam

dwollam

Nice looking car but definitely not a Dodge Brothers body. I agree, probably Overland.

Dave

30. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Such a cool car... I'd put the different dropped axle on it, powder coat all your suspension stuff black, paint the body, distressed leather interior, banjo steering wheel and perfecto! Maybe chopped windshield and lean it back. That's just me, just look at pictures and decide what you like

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app