Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 34 Ford 5 window..historic car?...value?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I think he already has a price in his mind that he believes its worth...after all, he wanted double what I offerd him on his 37 coupe,and I know what they are going for these days

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I buy and sell. Offer me a decent profit and it goes down the road. Sounds like he is a buyer and hoarder. Nothing wrong with that mind you.

You were fair in your offer. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

3. You have made an offer
    He declined
    The next person to "flinch" usually looses the negotiation.
    He may just be one of these guys that will hold on to something for price, sentimental reasons, or the worst of the worst, he is going to get to it one day.
    There was a guy in my home town that had a Vicky sitting in the field...I tried to buy it many times...I would stop by every couple of years and ask if it was for sale and even make an offer... he was always going to get to it...eventually he passed which gave the wife sentimental attachment, then she passed, but it had a tree growing out of it at that point... years later my buddy bought the property next door and said the front of the car was mashed almost flat by a falling limb but was still sitting there falling in on itself

Atwater Mike and Mark Jenny like this.
  4. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

hoarder yes..I'll testify to that as a neighbor

wvenfield likes this.
  5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

:D

6. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yes..I made him an offer ...he declined immediately...didnt give it a thought

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Forget it move on. Personally I think 5K was very generous.
    Anything you buy from that guy, you'll get ripped off. I know I live in a County full of them. They're stuff is gold, yours is junk. They can't stand the thought of someone making a nickle or getting any enjoyment out of anything they have. But....it's their right. While they own it, they have the control.

For these reasons you will be the last one he sells it too. He sells it to you, he has lost control. Seeing you do something with it....That's not going to happen. Folks like that would rather see it rust down in their yard than to see you enjoy it. Again it's their right.

Move on.

8. You made your offer and he declined. If you value him as a neighbor, walk away and he'll still be a good neighbor. Sometimes a good neighbor is worth a lot more than his asking price.
    Who knows? Someday he may come to you accepting your offer.

9. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Amen to that....sides i wanna negotiate on his 37 coupe:rolleyes:

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That would be one cool coupe to build - don't give up on it, he might come around but it won't happen unless you keep trying.

MR CLEAN likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark is this a Montana Hotrod? The Bumble Tuna and did Elvis play his guitar sitting on the modified runningboard one time?:D Just kidding...I want to narrow the search area and is the Area known as West Coast, East Coast, New England What do you guys call your region? This is just to use as search key words.

I'm sort of thinking 62 -63 was a period where those types of Hybrid Custom Hotrods seem to be peaking.

for example...

the two coupes below the sedan have similarities...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  12. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Mark,
    One of the best parts of being on the H.A.M.B. is the help you can receive is endless. You have received a lot of good suggestions from everyone. In My Opinion, You are in a very good position as your NEIGHBOR has some very much desirable Original Ford Cars. I wish I lived in your neighborhood and had your problems of which Original Ford car to try to purchase. I looked for many years and had to drive across country to find my ' 37 Ford Coupe and my '34 Ford Five Window Coupe. You are from the SHOW ME State of Missouri. Stay on your neighbor and SHOW ME that you can get the deal done on the '34 Ford Five Window Coupe as this will not happen overnight.
    MR CLEAN

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @MR CLEAN Missouri I thought it was Montana...;)

14. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

right now the car is in Missouri...I dont know how it got here, but the story is that is was a Cali car..but it looks east coast to me ...I'm not sure of anything at this point...I think it was just a typical custom done by a talented person with vision...I doubt it has any historical roots as far as the hot rod world is concerned...I guess I could try to contact Darryl Starbird and ask him about the car since he has a local museum and a large annual car show in Tulsa...btw..nice magazine cover!!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That all helps Mark...it would be nice to find rolling pics...nose detail etc...Good luck on the evolution of this...Maybe try to arrange a trip to have a look at it...Take him out in one of your Hotrods to see the car and getting to know you better he may come around...;)

Mark Jenny likes this.
  16. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I see him nearly everyday..but I will never pay that kind of money for just a body ...I can get a roller for less and I dont car about the custom work...I think its cool, but in my world custom isnt what floats my boat...I will stay open with him and try to get it, but I have a feeling that if it doesnt bring north of 20k he will die with it,he's very stubborn that way...the 37 coupe is a possibility...but those are plentiful...and 12500 for one that has been sitting 20 years outside in Missouri winters doesnt make sense to me...I've seen those cars running/driving for 15k with all the conversions done..meaning dropped axle and juice brakes etc

brad2v, MR CLEAN and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda/Sorta
    Not but getting warmer...this is 1961

Rodding-Restyling-Sep-1961-Vol-8-No-_57.jpg

18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

very interesting...this from a magazine?..if so year?...

19. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I wonder why the builder cut out sections in the running boards 6.jpg

20. adam401

adam401

To me personally I don't care about a cars history if its just a shell. At this point its just a rough coupe body.
    Its frustrating but just say fuckit. If you want to pay going rate for a 34 then just buy one when it comes up for sale here. Not uncommon.

The only way its cool to get that one is if its a sweet deal and you got the story getting it from your neighbor etc etc. That body is cool but needs a ton of work.

How old is he? Just wait him out and go to the auction when he dies. Insensitive? Perhaps but he can't take it with him.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The image title says Sept 1961 Rodding and Restyling so this is the cover and that is a drawing only.

Rodding-Restyling-Sep-1961-Vol-8-No.jpg

Mark Jenny likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That was probably done to drop a sheet metal 'pan' down 3/4"-1", which would be upholstered with custom padded 'rolls & pleats', nicely 'frenched' flat, so as not to be 'bulbous' on top of the running board. Some '60s show cars had 'fat' over-upholstered running boards, either attached by snaps or screwed down with oval heads and upholst. washers...
    The 'frenched' ones looked not-as-bad, but Model A's, '32s, and '34s still looked rank with 'em...

brad2v, Stogy and Mark Jenny like this.
  23. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thanks...makes sense

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark,

You should show him the pictures of Chris's coupe so he can start re-calibrating his expectations. That body is worth about 5 grand, maybe a little more and that's it.

25. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I know right?..but heres his logic...take a steal body that is not customized to a body man, then ask him to do the custom things that this body has and you are over 20k in body and bodywork....thats his stance...he also keeps reminding me that a fiberglass body is expensive....and how much better is a steel body...I guess it depends on which side of the fence your on..buyer or sellers point of view...:confused:

Stogy likes this.
  26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He will be holding on to that thing for quite some time...maybe you can pick it up at the auction when his family is handling his estate...

Mark Jenny likes this.
  27. trey32

trey32

Make friends with his kids, you can buy it from them down the road...

28. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

If he has kids I've never met them or even heard him speak of them...

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's where you need to let him know he's sorrily mistaken. In this day and age, nobody in their right mind would start with a straight 33/34 Ford Coupe and "customize" it into that abomination. The only way that body is likely to be built "as is", is if someone finds significant documentation (pics) that it was a historic build AND has a desire to replicate it, including the missing chassis/drivetrain/paint/interior as it looked back then-which isn't too likely to happen. Funny that he's to only person that's ever heard of the (orange) car as the Bumble Bee...

Even at that, as sought after as 33/34 Coupe bodies (and pieces are) most guys would buy that body, unceremoniously, torch off the ridiculous fenders and make a Hot Rod (not a Custom Rod) out of it. Tell him the real ("$20,000") bodywork involved would be trying to save those quarter panels, build a floor and other surprises. Once those fenders/lead are torched off, I'm sure there's plenty of warping/welding damage to be repaired. The ultimate answer/fix might end up hanging $2200) worth of SAR quarters on it.

When you find that running/driving 37 Coupe for $15,000, park it next to his $12,500 to show him how far from reality he is.

He's in the market to hoard not sell. As someone said, he can't stand the thought of someone flipping or building/driving/enjoying one of his cars.

Like Rocky said, consider him a good neighbor, but not so damn good that you'll get a good deal from him on vintage cars and parts.

Mark Jenny and Elvis100 like this.
  30. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

he most likely will never find any history on the car and he will just keep it tarped here in the missouri winters and humidity untill it rusts away...the best thing to do with this body to avoid hurting the metal is build it how it is..thats what I would do with it anyway...too bad and almost wierd that the car didnt stay together..people must have pirated the motor /suspension etc throughout the years..I'll bet it was pretty damn cool together

cactus1, brad2v and Stogy like this.