Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Massachusetts Vehicle Inspection Requirements

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAF, Mar 22, 2018.

1. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Looks like the new Massachusetts vehicle inspection requirements will make it very hard on hot rods, or any modified vehicle. My 1955 Chevy Gasser failed in numerous areas including straight axle raised front end by more than 2", exhaust that exited at rear axle now has to exit behind trunk, too loud with dyno-flow mufflers car cannot be any louder than it was when new, and also issue because no front bumper. This car has passed inspections with no problem for the past five years but that has come to an end, hate to sell but may have to.

Bearcat_V8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Mass is going for the money on this. My 57 chevy had wind shield washer nozzles installed in the wiper eschutions so the inspector told me last year either install the washer system or remove the nozzles and fill the holes with a screw. My 94 f100 Texas truck has window tint probably since it was new and I was warned it was to dark to pass. It's been fine for 24 years but not any more. Time to abandon this tax state.Ralphie

Truckdoctor Andy and zzford like this.
  3. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Left there 57 years ago!!

4. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Gotta tell you - I'm not hearing anything really new. It looks like they are enforcing some requirements that they used to let slide. I remember many years ago (early seventies) I raised the rear of my '66 Galaxie (four inches) and put Mickey Thompson's on there. I was stopped and told that the rear bumper had to be within four inches of height equal to the front bumper and that they had to be within two inches in height from stock height. So you were allowed to lower the front two inches and raise the rear two inches (or vice versa)
    In the late seventies I was stopped in my '57 Chev. and written up for missing a passenger side wiper, no front bumper, loud exhaust.
    The difference now is that the inspection stations have cameras installed by the DMV. The inspectors are being constantly monitored and if they miss something or try to let something slide they are being threatened with fines and removal of the right to do inspections. Yes - more of BIG BROTHER watching!

biggeorge, sidevalve8ba and patmanta like this.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I want to but I won't! As far as window tint in today's society (don't touch my gun) how many cops feel safe walking up to a tinted window car? And gasser look, I've seen some of these cars looking like they could drive right over the trunk of another car.

Pat

6. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Hey Guys, This may be a way around it and you're close. Register your car in VT. I'm sure someone will chime in that it can't be done, I have done it three times and have the plates to prove it. Go on the VT DMV web site and download the two forms you need. One is the normal registration/title form, the other is a vin verification form which can be filled out by your local, friendly police officer. Not a big deal at all. If you are close I suggest a trip to the Bennington DMV, been there many times and those folks couldn't be nicer. You will be paying sales tax on the value of your car, don't tell them your 55 Chevy is worth $100, they look it up on Hagertys' site. While in town stop in and visit Hemmings, the cool pottery barn on the street parallel to the one DMV is on and a few streets away there is a great little diner where you can get great food and make a donation to the Veterans home across the park. VT doesn't even require insurance although we all know you need it unless the car isn't actually on the road(in the shop). Also close to NH where alcohol is close to 30% cheaper and those folks also have a good attitude, Live Free or Die on their plates.

7. Rich S.

Rich S.

Time for cut-outs with mufflers on them. Press the switch for inspection...Press it again when the inspection is done!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. boojoe

boojoe

I was living in Conn.. Moved to Alabama about 15 years ago! Low taxes, no emissions, no car inspections, you would not believe how easy it is to register a car. No title for cars older than 74 I love the south!!!

9. Rich S.

Rich S.

Don’t rub it in!

Shamus and zzford like this.
  10. Rich S.

Rich S.

Sounds good. Do they have vanity plates? I’m thinking something like FUMASS!

Shamus, Duellym, Kan Kustom and 3 others like this.
  11. Stooge

Stooge

From my understanding, theres nothing new on books, just more documentation, more enforcement of rules and picture documentation. From the inspection people I've talked to, more work and hassle for them to do it and more penalties if they aren't done right, but I've also heard a few say "im not getting underneath a car for $30!" so who knows.
    2 out of my 3 cars, i should be ok, and I managed to squeak by with a little help from the station owner last inspection for my air suspension truck, but i'm guessing i'm going to be fairly screwed next inspection if I cant figure somewhere to bring that to next time. for that one, I can atleast air it up all the way and have it look like a slightly lowered truck and hope they don't look too much further. I have a daily driver coming up for inspection so i'll take it to the previously easy going place I've been going to that a local car club uses and see how strict they are now, or if they're even still doing them.

12. Deuces

Deuces

...... Or, you could move here too Michigan....:D:)

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

No prob in Cali.........yet

14. town sedan

town sedan

I know there's a buzz kill at every party. But, living in one state and registering your vehicles in another sounds like fraud. It also sounds like there isn't much locals can do to get around the constabulary.

Time to start hounding your legislature for redress of grievances. And the Minutemen were more than a punk band from San Pedro.
    -Dave

zzford and jim snow like this.
  15. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Not a buzz kill at all, just a good question. Not fraud in any way, VT has no problem with me using my NY address and titling a car in their state. When you get into the commercial arena that is another thing altogether. Not sure if it is still done but a lot of folks used to register trailers in Maine, the guys with flashing lights didn't like a truck registered in one state with the trailer in another but again, that was commercial use and usually involved CDL situations. Stated many times most recently by Brantley Gilbert, I'd rather ask for forgiveness than ask permission.

craig b blue likes this.
  16. raymay

raymay

Several years ago I had a 58 Chevy that a NY inspector would not pass because It had chrome shields on the headlights. I borrowed a screw driver from the inspector and removed the shields. These guys had been all about checking more on how cool the car looked. They even acted like they were afraid to touch it. I never saw them pull a wheel to check my brakes or even check the wipers. After they put the sticker on the car, I borrowed the screwdriver and re-installed the headlight shields. As someone who had performed NY inspections in the past, I asked them what they figured they accomplished. They said they had been caught before and were afraid that one of the customers could be undercover. I politely informed them that they should have been more concerned about the procedural failures I observed rather than some silly chrome accessory on a custom car. Fortunately I always check my cars as I had done with the 58 before I schedule and inspection so their lack of procedure did not really concern me about the overall safety of the car.

17. Perhaps Vermont doesn't have a problem with it, but my guess is that NY may have a problem if they ever find out what you're doing.

Mick

18. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Hey Mick, So far NY has never had a problem and I have been doing it for years. It all started when I had a Beck/Porsche Spyder replica and NY wouldn't let me register it without a receipt for just about every nut and bolt. I would think if there was a problem one of the NY State Police officers would have mentioned it when he inspected and verified the vin numbers. These guys are real police officers, college educated and definitely know what they are doing. NY for some silly reason does not like some out of state titles and definitely does not like kit cars. It seems like they are missing the boat here as they are missing out on the sales tax money, it is going to VT. The other plus is the short ride to Bennington is nice and the town is very pleasant.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

In CA it's all about revenue. Unless you live right on the State border, the Police will definitely stop you here if they see out of state plates and you look like you're on a (daily) commute such as to work or see your vehicle multiple times beyond a couple of week period. You'll get cited, then have to appear in court with proof of residency (DL, utility bills in your name from an addy in that state, etc.) in the state of the plates you have on your car.

CA just added an increase in fuel taxes 11/1/17; 12 cents a gallon on gas and 20 cents a gallon on diesel. That adds up to hundreds or thousands of dollars per year in fuel costs for a household. Also add what it costs the household in bumped consumer products (groceries, etc) prices due to the increased costs to truck the goods in the state @.20 cent per gallon diesel tax. Virtually everything you buy from a store gets there via diesel truck. Those costs get passed to the end consumer.

I have 4 daily's and an old 25' travel trailer. Here's the breakdown on my annual tags;

$144 - trailer
    $404 - 2017 daily
    $139 - 2008 daily
    $126 - 2002 daily
    $151 - 1993 1/2 ton V-6 Chevy truck ( classified by the state as a "commercial" vehicle! )

$964 - total

3 of the vehicles were due (this month) for their biannual smog check which runs $50 a shot. The 93 truck is categorized by the state as a "potential gross polluter" and needed to be smogged at a "Star" smog station, where it got the full tilt, roller test-and passed.

$1114 - new total, for annual tags and smog.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Truck64 likes this.
  20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I've been to Michigan to visit daughter, roads are worse than Mass, No thanks.

21. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

WOW, I knew CA was expensive but Holy S... The snow doesn't look so bad now. Thanks

Clay Belt likes this.

22. What happened to the $19.95 smog checks at the ARCO SmogPros? They also had "pass or you don't pay".

23. Deuces

Deuces

Yo got that right.....:(
    But they're working on it....:rolleyes:

24. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

40 for me

Shamus and 48fordnut like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Actually, it's now a rolling 35 years old and it doesn't need a title anymore. They changed it a few years ago.

Shamus and Clay Belt like this.
  26. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

There are two different machines to test for smog in taxifornia, one that plugs into newer cars and the other for 2000 and older,( I may be off on the year ) the older one is in the many thousand dollars range, not many shops are buying the older one, by the way the one they have to test older cars is no longer going to be used, this state is really starting to suck.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Koz

Koz

So far Pa. Is very cool on rods using the SEMA template. Helps a former Governor had a very sweet '34 coupe.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I don't think there's any of those left. All the Arco's I know are all self serve gas with "AM-PM" mini marts in place of what used to house a 2-3 bay service garage.
    There's a lot of places that advertise $29.95 or $39.95 (depending on the vehicle) but that doesn't include the $8.95 certificate fee. The $49.99 place I go to includes the certificate fee at that rate. I've always had good luck there (pass), so I'm good with the price.
    It's very cumbersome and expensive to do business in CA. Those costs get passed along to consumers.
    Many of the "pass or don't pay" places have changed to "free retest if you don't pass", which means you still pay if your vehicle fails, but they'll retest it once you have your mechanic make the necessary repairs.

Bleach likes this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

But no vehicle inspection other than smog........

Atwater Mike and gimpyshotrods like this.
  30. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

I don't think I could afford to live in a cardboard box in San Diego. I guess if you want to live in a beautiful area with almost perfect weather they are going to make you pay for it.

Atwater Mike likes this.