Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Come on, Don't lie about it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why people think that have to bullshit like that is beyond my comprehension. I used to see this quite a bit when I worked in night clubs. Some guy trying to impress his girlfriend would come up to me and talk to me about how he was a professional musician, etc. It takes me about 15 seconds to spot the real deal from a bullshitter. Same thing with guys who claim to have built a car. Doesn’t take long to figure out whether they know what they’re talking about or not. Usually it’s the language they use or choice of words that gives them away. It’s too bad, really. It must suck going through life feeling so inferior that you have to lie to others to try to puff yourself up. That really must feel like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Butt sore? Not really. But if you read it you will see that no one else knew about but me and he laughed about it. So, I called him on it and no one else was the wiser. Are you one of those?

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. saw a writeup about a 48 chevy canopy express, green, 4x4. the woman who owned it took full credit for building it...............i did the conversion and paint with the previous owner...........

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I don’t build my own hotrods so I am not part of the cool kids. However I do have enough integrity not to sink anyone’s else boat. I guess it all comes down to the way I was brought up.

5. everybody gets a trophy.........:rolleyes:

bowie and dan31 like this.
  6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Credit where credit is due
    Same as the guy on the internet implying that he built the 2018 Ridler winner.
    When in fact ,he only had a very small hand in finishing it.
    Even the heading on his instagram page states 2018 Don Ridler award winner
    Lying by omission.

zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[​IMG]

8. dan31

dan31

So now defending lack of character is "integrity?. I have much more respect for someone that admits that they didn't build something but instead worked 40-60 hours a week or more to hopefully have enough money to pursue their hobby. No shame in that game but don't lie about it.That's how I was brought up.

low down A, zzford, cretin and 5 others like this.
  9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

[​IMG]

I guess I am guilty now of sinking someone else’s boat in public. Read “decency”

chryslerfan55 and samurai mike like this.
  10. Toner283

Toner283

You mean as in enough integrity to not lie about who did the work on a car you own? Or how much work you personally did to a vehicle? Because that's what the OP (and several others) are talking about. Lying and integrity are opposites. At least they were when I was in school.

To me, if a person lies about things like claiming work done by others as their own, I can no longer trust anything that comes out of that person's mouth.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...I've been on so many sides of that it isn't even funny.
    I've done major work on cars and been given no real credit...built cars and had misinformed people later ASSUME and worse give credit to someone else or the owner as if they did all the work.
    Kind of a 3rd party snub I guess! LoL
    I worked on a couple and received so much excessive credit that it was kinda hard to re-explain how I was just a small part and others or the owner had a whole lot to do with it.
    I guess it all balances out in the big picture.

Issue I have now is a bit odd to me though.
    My T.
    It was built as a show car years ago by some guy who did a real nice job but not my style at all.
    Eventually Fitz ended up with it and made a lot of changes like 4 wheel brakes and a cowl stretch...plus seating low in the car.
    I liked it and bought it...but its still "Fitzees car".
    5 years later and a LOAD of changes and upgrades like a shorter wheelbase, lowered fuel tank, "A" rear crossmember and lighting, back of the bucket trimmed 3" lower, steering column, roll bar, redesigned lower seating, homebuilt windshield frame, redesigned and relocated friction shocks, homebuilt header mufflers and hangers, relocated and upgraded alternator/mounting, repaint, spring over axle conversion and on and on.

Then some stranger at a meet asks me..."Hey, you build it yourself?" Sigh...

Listening to me honestly trying to explain the pedigree must bore them to tears!

Just lying and saying - "YES, I built it all myself" - could almost be considered merciful! :D Hahaha

12. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

You are taking what I said out of context and using it to suit your own needs.

I am sure you are as pure as a virgins and never lied in your life along with all the others you speak of. I commend you, you are my hero.

13. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Who said anything about defending? Seriously, did you read what I wrote or you’re just jumping on the band wagon?

14. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I bet you would be the guy that points out I have a long bed when I take my POS pickup to shows.

15. leave me out of your rant.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

At least I had the courage to say it directly.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

For some folks, ego makes their wheels go 'round.

zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. I guess I'm seeing it all wrong but the first thing I thought was; asking if you built it is a f 'ed up question to begin with. People that are not that into old cars ask stupid crap. I am usually very polite and honest with my replies but being a smart ass is not out of the question. So I guess I wouldn't call out a friend if I caught him BS-ing, he might be in the smart ass mode. I would tease the hell out of him later though............

19. Bullshit is bullshit no matter how you look at it.
    It tends to remove the chance of respect.

cretin likes this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One particular poster here seems to have fallen off their high-horse and hit their head...and won't let it go. A little irritating. And I don't irritate easily.
    Lying is lying...period. And as another poster mentioned, you can't trust someone after realizing they're a liar. Lies are like mice...you see one, you can guarantee there are many more.
    I often say, be what you be...don't try to present yourself as something your're not. Sad part is, it goes on all the time.

I remember this one well because it's so dumb. Guy told me he had a Chevy II Nova that would pull the front tires. Really?...what kind of engine did it have? Slant 6. Ok...

21. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Wow... having an opposing opinion and defending against other posters comments directed at me is irritating. I am so glad I don’t give a shit who I irritate.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A liar is no better than a thief. Or should I say a liar is no better than a scammer.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I don't give a shit." Noted.
    Maybe just go relax a little bit. I hope you feel better.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. zzford, lothiandon1940 and Chucky like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you, Saxman!

Saxman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice try pal, but you’re not going to minimize me. I won’t purposely throw my buddy under the bus so I feel better about myself. I am no better than the liar if I get my rocks off making him look bad.

chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  27. but three liars and a pair of scammers don't beat a straight floosie.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my former bosses took full credit for about two years of my work.

Second and third owners seem to love to tell me how they built their car that I built.

It's Human nature. People lie so they feel better about themselves.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.