Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nova engine block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan by the vice, Mar 20, 2018.

1. I bought a nova 283 short block yesterday #194 casting. It,s interesting that it have domed std. dimension pistons (cast?), forged crank ( i think?). If the block i OK I´m not shure what to do with it. What do you think? Stock rebuild nova engine to sell? or hot maximum bore high performance 283? I’m planning to check it out tommorrow.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Do you know exactly what you have? I mean exactly?
    [​IMG]

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you check the bore size? If it is 4 " your 283 has probably been punched out to 301 cui or come from the factory as a 302?Good score, whatever it turns out to be!

4. Yes and no. 3 inch stroke, 3.875 inch bore, nova block, non nova oilpan, but thats about it. Why do you ask?

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The sunk'n oil filter boss. You have something that there isn't very many of.

6. Yes it has the ressed oil filter pad. Exiting stuff, only the car is missing

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

don't look like it's been punched to 4" bore, but you can only tell so much from pictures.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then what is the question exactly? Keep it, let it go? For me it would be a keeper as is.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

saw one for sale a couple years ago, didn't see any need to drag it home....

10. My original plan was to build a 0.060 overbore 283 or a 301 if that was possible. But now when this thing with dome pistons and not much wear showed up at my garage floor I´m hesitating.

11. What you have is a Chevy II block. It may or may not be a Nova block.;)

12. OK, half correct then:)

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I can't tell you what to do with it. I'll just leave these parting word's. There are other 283's that can be forgotten more easily than this one. I'm sure a good home for this 283 would net you what your looking for in another 283.

14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

If I'm correct, there is a provision for the clutch ball to mount(above,or behind oil filter), Different position than non chevy II, if so, I'm sure it's a profitable engine in the "needing" hands! Could it be L-79?

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. I´m thinking the same. A little dissapointing, But I have to tare it down for measuring, and cleaning first, I just have to do that;)

Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. No, 283 bore.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't see that anyone mentioned the codes stamped into the block on the front of the passenger side. Isn't that the definitive way to identify a SBC?

18. slug

slug

I you are putting it in a Chevy ll/Nova up thru 67 with a stick keep it. If you are putting it in something else sell it to someone who needs/wants this block and build yourself another SB. Someone who has these early Chevy ll's will buy it for sure.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would you take a standard bore block and punch it out to .060? It sure limits the number of times it can be rebuilt unless you like to spend money on sleeves.

20. Steve77T

Steve77T

Yes as said it is a Chevy 2 block from 63 to 67. These blocks had a higher nickel content to them and a straight one would go .060 with no problems. 283’s came 195 hp and 220 hp in Chevy 2. Raced one in SS/O and SS/L back in the day. They did not have pop up pistons in them from factory in Chevy 2’s but did on other 283’s like the FI and some Dual Quad Motors . As said if for a Chevy 2 keep it, if not go with a 66/67 block and make a 292 or 301 out of it. All 283’s that I have seen has had forged cranks FYI.

21. squirrel

squirrel

they aren't stock pistons, are they? Used to be you could buy cast pop up pistons like that really cheap at mail order places like JC Whitney, speed shops, etc. that would explain why they are stamped std

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like some others have more or less said, the early Chevy II/Nova (64-67) blocks may be worth something to a RESTORER; most guys want something a little bigger CID wise, but your short block is "traditional". Those pistons are not a factory item, and they are a cast piston; cast pistons have a "notch" in the top of the piston that faces towards the front of the engine. They look like a Badger type piston as opposed to say a Jahn's. Any idea on the cam, solid or hydraulic? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. Stock ID are gone, restamped. Grinded away and restamped with non stock types.

24. I vill open it up this evening, send fotos. I think the lifters are hydralics, but they have the GM-type hardened facepad.

Stanley

25. You can use heads made for a four inch bore.

Stanley

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can sell you a nice little 62 Nova to out that it. :cool:

Clay Belt likes this.
  27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I sold those pistons "back in the day" when I was working at M&M Speed in Sacramento back in the 70's they came from Badger they had those for SBF's and SBC's we sold them for $89.95 a set. I had a 327 block we bored .030" over with a forged 283 crank for an oversized 302 you get 4" & .030 oversized to build a 302 or 301,I put that motor in a 1963 Nova SS wish i still had that car.

Mr48chev likes this.
  28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I would't put heads meant for a 4 inch bore, no way, such as 2.02 intake valves; or possibly even the 1.94 heads, unless you use it ONLY for racing, even with de-shrouding the intake valves. 1.84 intake valves will be fine for the street; 53 cc or 58 cc, 305 type heads, will keep the C.R. up, and get you hardened seats. It's hard to build any compression ratio with a 3 inch stroke engine. An early Nova/Chevy II such an Bandit Billy has, would be a good body to install this engine, with some low gears in the rear end. Light weight, and high RPM, will push your eyeballs to the back of your head. Come to think of it, I have an almost identical engine out in the shop. It's .060 over, but with flat top pistons. If your lifters have the "plunger" retained by a wire loop, it's most likely a hydraulic camshaft; if there's a "C" clip, it's most likely a solid lifter camshaft. I have NO idea why the lifter manufacturers did it that way (?????), but it helps to ID a mystery engine and it's parts. Finish filling out your profile, so we know where you are located; it just makes it easier if people know where you are located; location is everything, and just not in real estate. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

29. Deuces

Deuces

Small chamber (57cc) 305 4-bbl heads with domed 283 pistons will raise compression upwards to about???? 11-12:1...
    Those heads would be perfect!.;)

30. Yes, the ball stud location for the z-bar is different. Pop off the oil pan and there is a hole to retain the oil pump pick up tube on the main cap web. With an un-modified oil pump if you go to a stoke longer than 3.250 (3.480 for a 350 and later 327) the oil pump housing needs some material milled off it.

Hollywood-East likes this.