Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Automobile heater..anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Anyone know how it was used? 20180311_164821 (2).jpg

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks like an early engine block heater. You were supposed to hang it under the hood or under the oil pan to warm up the engine and make it easier to start.

Stogy, porknbeaner and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

"PRESTO" NUTHIN UP MY SLEEVE....................SORRY.I wonder how many folks will know where that came from??

Stogy and Chrisbcritter like this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Does it vibrate?

Gotgas, Stogy, blowby and 4 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

My dad had a similar one. It was painted red and looked like new. It had a hook on the top like a trouble light. Used like Rusty O'Tool said.

Stogy likes this.
  7. What's on the other end of the cord for power source?
    The Wizzard

8. BJR

BJR

The one we had had a standard house plug on it for 120 volt AC.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

That was the sophisticated version.

I used a 100 watt light bulb and a moving blanket over the hood on my Model A driver in 1950.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

11. Now that's kool. Turn it on and off with a light switch. It could double as a room heater.

Stogy likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That is actually an adapter to use it in a light socket if you didn't have an outlet nearby. You can see the parting line, unplug it and it have a standard two prong plug. Remember those adapters from years ago.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Actually "light bulb" socket connectors predate the two pronged connectors, as they didn't have them yet, light sockets came first. Made sense here too even if manufactured later as an outlet might not be installed in a garage or outside, but a lightbulb would be.

I bet it works good, but you'd be able to cut wood with the power meter spinning so fast.

Keep in mind too, it will bite you, it's not "safe" as we understand the term today. Probably won't kill you but it will get your attention, depending on how you plug it in there's a 50/50 chance the metal shell is hot, if you're barefoot or grounded it will zap ya.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some old tech is best left as a conversation piece...vibrator that's funny...:D...this place has been a chucklefest tonight...

Honey where's my darn Blockheater?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Used to use a couple trouble lights, one under the intake on an inlner, and one next to the battery. Car thought is was early fall. Might need to go back to those since the gumint has outlawed light bulbs that give off heat. Long enough cord, its a seat heater....

16. When I worked at the Mercedes-Benz dealer many of the diesel cars we serviced had engine block heaters that were installed by removing an expansion plug in the block and screwing them into the hole.
    On some of the European version gasoline cars they offered an optional fuel heater that actually heated the fuel system. I don't think they were approved for use in the USA as I never actually saw one. Reminded me of the old South Wind gasoline heaters they used in old cars and VW's.

17. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Definitely would make some cool wall art. Or a present for the old lady.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. ^^^^^^^ yeah,especially how long it took for heat to get to the front of an old VW bus.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  19. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

I had a Volvo a few years back, and one day I had it in the air and noticed an outlet you'd connect to an extension cord. It was for a factory installed block heater.

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Other than the condition of the cord, it should work. Plug it in and see. I'm on board with block/engine heater. Did't chicken farmers use to have similar "heaters" for their birds to keep them warm? I am Butch/565sedandelivery.