Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My first irresistible "Field Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Those '52-'56 Mercs and Lincolns were pretty cars from the start, they sure don't need anyone adding a bunch of useless gingerbread, a shave and a haircut will do it.
    I've hit some snags in the registration process for the VictChero (I'm in California after all) as well as spending a few weeks battling the flu. Hope to be back on track soon.

2. I couldn't afford a floor shifter. So I turned the shift arms straight up and use a piece of flattened galvanized pipe to fit over the shift arms. two long slots in the floordoard never hung up.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

flower car, I had one !!!

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well I'm happy to say that the flu has left the building and there's movement afoot on the old VictChero project. I found a reasonably priced parts car that appears to have a bunch of stuff to make this build easier and less costly. If all goes well, it will arrive at my shop sometime tomorrow; complete car, less engine. I just love it when projects move forward, even if it's slowly.

chryslerfan55, Squablow and loudbang like this.
  5. All Right! Is the parts car a Vicky?
    The Wizzard

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

No, unfortunately it's a 4 dr sedan but I ain't complainin'. It's not a rot box and everything's there but the engine. Being a "budget build" (one of several) every usable part is a plus. I'll know more tomorrow. Also, last Friday I got a line on a good Nailhead TH400 so I might be using my good 401 incher after all.

7. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have most of the grille parts with exception of the signal housings. Most are factory seconds but not terrible if you are interested. PM me and I can send pictures.

kidcampbell71, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks 'beater, the parts car has all of the grill and front bumper stuff and it seems to be in fairly good condition. If I need anything I'll PM you. Thanks again.

loudbang likes this.
  9. I'll be watching this thread. Glad you saving this car. I'm a sucker for oddities like it!

Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Me too. I can just imagine driving it around and people looking at it and thinking "WTF is that?"

Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

The parts car showed up yesterday afternoon as promised. At first glance I wasn't sure I did the right thing but after looking it over well, it's really gonna help move this project forward with fewer interruptions looking for little parts.
    I'll upload and post some pics in a little while.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

So here it is. It came with an easily transferable title. The whole front clip is pretty nice, some small rust bubbles at the bottom. The floors are touch and go but there may be some good stuff to use. There's lots of dash and door parts to work with. The frame and suspension is a whole lot cleaner and less rusty than the stuff under the VictChero. There's a full but aged interior - smells like an old Ford, brought back childhood memories of my Dad's '49 Ford.
    As they say; pictures or it didn't happen.....
    Da gree-ill
    IMG_0823.JPG
    Good windshield trim and wiper stuff (note the washer squirter!). BB fracture
    IMG_0824.JPG
    The future new tailgate and hinges (see post #83) Nice bumper, taillights. IMG_0820.JPG
    Proper wheel openings, gas door and maybe some patch panel material
    IMG_0816.JPG

13. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Looks like the fun is about to begin. Can't what to see it come back to life.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  14. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Compared to what is available around here, that grille and front bumper look showroom fresh

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was pleasantly surprised. I bought it from pictures, I didn't go look at it. You know how that can go. This is where I wipe my hand across my forehead and go, WHEW. The gentleman was straight up with me and everything is as described. The parking light surrounds are slightly pitted but it's all decent original chrome - just the way I like it.

16. Very nice parts car. You just moved Miles ahead on your project. Well Done!

brad2v, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob...parts cars are the way to go. It's harder nowadays since everyone thinks their old car is valuable...but it's the small things that drives you nuts during a build. You'll have many extra smalls..and a reference to what stuff looks like...helluva parts car btw!

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yep, parts cars used to be free to $600 but you have to be mighty lucky to find one in that price range that isn't already stripped these days. This one cost a little more but when you add up all the stuff I would have had to buy (have you priced shoebox trim parts lately?) I'm way ahead. Besides, you know how when you buy one or two brand new parts it makes the older parts look bad so you end up buying everything new eventually. I want the "aged" look, at least for the primered version.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Wow, parts car looks to be in great shape. I'm sure you'll end up with some extra leftover parts too which you can sell off to offset the cost. If I were you, I'd consider welding up the floor in the 4 door in-place and once it's solid, I might just transfer over the useable body section of the Victchero to the new parts car platform. Brace it up really good, take the doors off, cut the Vict. body off at the bottom of the WS pillars and swap it along with the tops of the "bed" right onto the other floor/frame. Maybe?

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The “Victchero” is going to be awesome! I envision it being great for trips to breakfast and the hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob likes this.
  21. Your parts car is a nice find.
    You know, I can almost picture the 'Victchero' with a removable hard top.....

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Squablow, someone in a previous post suggested that I lengthen the top to relieve that cramped look and I have to admit that when I saw the parts car I gave it a thought. Then I thought, hmmm, if the top was removable I could just splice the back section onto the parts car. (the removable top has sounded good to me from the start). I guess we'll see what course is best when I pull the carpets and stuff and see whats left of the rockers and floors.

loudbang and Squablow like this.
  23. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

so...what do the metal tags on the dash have written on them??

loudbang likes this.
  24. The "Cramped look" is part of it's individual character I think. If it had all 3 pieces of the Vicky back glass it would take on a more finished contour. If you choose to move the top back that will bring in a whole new set of issues. You will then need to do something for a Quarter window or some kind of filler section past the back edge of the door glass. Removable Hard Top,,,? Go talk to any early Vett owner and ask how they deal with that. Been there, what a Blister! I say take the front seat out of the 4 door and bolt it in the other and climb in. See how it feels then make some decisions if needed. I can tell you this, 49-51 Fords are not for the Big and Tall. I'm 5'10" and I have my seat set in the forward bolt holes of the runners and moved all the way back on the glides. Still wish I could get another 4" further back. Check out this photo of the Vicky and maybe do some photo shop and see what you can come up with. You may find that working with what you already have is just fine. Also adding the Vicky back glass will give you more space behind the seat.
    The Wizzard
    [​IMG]

25. NWRacing

NWRacing

I'm no photoshop expert but I like how this could go....

Vicky.png

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Removable Hard Top,,,? Go talk to any early Vett owner and ask how they deal with that. Been there, what a Blister"

well it isn't a vette but I have a Mercedes roadster with a removable hardtop. Pain in the but to put on and off and the car is low so it should be easier. hate to have to put one on and off on a higher car without some type of lift. we got into the habit just putting it on for winter storage and off in spring, one time each season but when you get older that was still too much so we just keep it off all together now seeing the car is stored for the winters anyway.

But a removable hardtop does sound and would be kool though, just don't call me when you want to put it on or off. :)

bchctybob, loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  27. Up here if you left it home the 10 percent chance of Rain always got ya 60 miles from home and then pored for the rest of the day. If ya left it on at 20 percent chance it never rained at all. On days with No rain in sight it would get so hot you wished you had left the Top on to get a little relief (got worse after I went Bald). I changed over to Convertibles, now it not On or Off but Up or Down any time I like. Much better.
    I like the photo shop version with the 3 piece back window.
    The Wizzard

bchctybob, loudbang and NWRacing like this.
  28. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob...do whatever makes you happy...but I think it would look great as is...or with the proper Victoria 3 piece window...would help the flow. I think it would look weird with the top off...but that's just my opinion. I also had a Vette with a hardtop. Took it off with a buddy one day for a cruise...never put it back on.

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just my opinion, but if you take the top off it will just look like a convertible without the trunk lid.

nochop, Squablow and loudbang like this.
  30. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

any updates?

55Deso likes this.