Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1962 Rambler American

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gogofalcon, Nov 11, 2017.

1. gogofalcon

gogofalcon

SNS FAB, slim38, Cosmo50 and 5 others like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks great! Those models come up for sale around here fairly often, and at a good price compared to the usual stuff, I've been tempted..

Is that the tire smoking or the exhaust?

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That looks really cool. Th evidence profile reminds me of '60's era Cortinas. Hmmmm, a early sixties Cortina with a 302?!!! Now there is a thought.

4. Latigo

Latigo

Yes, sweet! Let's see a little more.

5. ken bogren

ken bogren

Love the car! More pics please.
    My first new car was a 2 door 63 rambler american 220. A 302 would've been a nice mod.

6. A skinny sbf is a great choice for your nas, er, Rambler. I've had a few of those. This one had a flathead 6, 196 cu in, 3 speed with a sneaky-pete shot of nitrous.
    I always wanted to cut one into a Ramb-chero.
    americansmoke.jpg americanpickup.jpg

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Back in 1970 a a buddy of our neighbor had a 63 hardtop, same style roof as a 62=64 Impala. Dark blue with the rambler 327 4speed, big and little chrome slots . Was a pretty quick little ride!

8. Bet you're the only guy in town that has one.............

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Just sold my 61 two door wagon. I had wanted to do an AMC v8 swap but someone else wanted it more than I did.

10. gogofalcon

gogofalcon

It’s off to Gateway classic cars

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. tomic

tomic

that's a sweet looking car, gogofalcon. engine looks like it belongs there. well i guess it does now!

though it's got a lot of PITA old nash features, the pre-64 Americans are my favorite nashcans. i've got a T5 and narrowed mustang rear behind a worked-over 195.6 OHV in mine. that eliminated that crap T96 and the hard-to-find-parts-for big-nut axle. i've found solutions for the front suspension, but this guy below adapted a mustang 2 setup that looks like it came with the car, superclean!

at this site, click on the "62 rambler" tab...
    http://launstoyshop.com/

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-1_4-16-35.png upload_2018-3-1_4-16-49.png 1971 Hawaii
    Hello,

Nice two door coupe. I am sure you have fun driving that Rambler. We have always liked these Ramblers, even 4 door models, but, especially the 2 door. They were ripe for the more powerful transition that you made. Cruising? There is so much room in the back seat of both models. The stance on your Rambler is very cool.

When my wife and I were looking for an economical 2 door sedan, this 2 door Rambler model was one on our list. The other options were a Ford Cortina, a Datsun 510 2 door, and a German Opel 2 door sedan. When my son was ready for his first car, we looked at a silver blue, 2 door Rambler and a light blue, 63 Mercury Comet 2 door sedan. The Mercury Comet had less miles, driven by an older couple, and was near our house, so we favored that Comet. But, something else caught his eye.

Long before my son's car search, the 1962 Rambler we bought in Kauai, HI, back in 1971 was a four door. There was a two door model on the lot, but we needed 4 doors for 4 big guys going surfing daily, during the summer. Also, when we weren’t going surfing, two wives and a small kid came along with 3 big guys for the island adventures. We all fit in the 4 door better than the two door. Having owned only two door cars at the time, I was partial, but practicality ruled on this summer vacation.

The record? 4 big guys, three wives, a teenage girl, and two small kids on a thirty minute ride into town for a family dinner. Don’t ask, although, it was a little crowded in that Rambler. Seat belts? I don’t think so on this wild ride into town.

Jnaki

Here is an old Surf Transportation story from a year ago, during that time period in the summer. It was a great, two month summer adventure cut short by one month...boo....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-surf-transportation.326942/page-3 POST 65
    upload_2018-3-1_4-31-5.png
    Hanalei Bay 1971: 1962 4 door Rambler getting prepped for another surf/island adventure.

tomic likes this.
  13. SNS FAB

SNS FAB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice ride gogofalcon. I think the '61 to '63 Rambler Americans were the best body style for the Americans. I have a '62 Wagon and a '61 two door sedan. The grandkids love cruising around in the wagon. Thinking about going the gasser route on the sedan. CHRR 2015 (12).jpg