Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starters that bolt up to Y block Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Y block stuff is getting hard to find in the junkyards. Any later model 12V starters that will bolt up to my '55 Ford 272 with 3 on the tree? Car has been changed to 12V.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Several people selling mini starters for Y blocks including Mummert

3. Good to know about the mini-starter option, as the Y block starter drives like to hang up. do the mini-starters have a different drive that solves that problem?

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. Tedd

Tedd

The starters from any 1958-1964 FE (332, 352, 390, 406, 427) will work as a direct bolt on for the Y-Block engines. Ted Eaton.

BigChief and crminal like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember the mini's drive from the engine side of the ring gear and the stock Fords from the rear if that matters.

7. 6 volt starters also work well.
    Have a 6 volt unit installed in one of my 12 volt cars going on 4 years now.
    No problems.

Oldmics

8. vickckik

vickckik

Take apart the 6v starter. Clean and lubricate it. Reinstall it using the heavier 6v cables. I've done it on four 1955 fords over the years. Never had a failure. If you suspect the starter drive, replace it. I never experienced hangup that I recall. I would consider a mini starter if I needed clearance in a swap.

9. Coopertough

Coopertough

Would this also work on my 64 f250 292 Y block with 3 speed cruisomatic? I'm having issues with the bendix starter hanging up and staying engaged I was thinking that it was a Flexplate issue but as 61-64 truck flexplates are apparently harder to find than the holy grail id love to swap starters to am fe style

10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

About this time last year I bought a 12v y block starter at advance auto parts in Niagara Falls for $42,
    Guess I got lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk