Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects More Meat on a 33 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spencer Caldwell, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Suggestion please got a set of tires from a nice guy on here. The car had 10 inch racemaster piecrust on it but were so far gone from sitting. The guy sold me 775-15 radiir slicks. Tell me what you think guys because it totally changed the look. Before is in the driveway and after is in the garage!!! Go bigger or stay that size. Also, there was only maybe a pinky finger gap between the rear quarter and 10 inch slicks!! Thanks guys!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If your going with fenders you need to install them beforehand.
    It looks as if your trying to fit into a 1940’s50’s timeframe with that engine so my opinion is to not use them and go with a set of bias ply tall and skinnies.
    Don’t mix your decades.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tires and wheels ought to be one of the last things you buy for the car in my opinion. If you buy them to early on you still might be buying them last...if you catch my drift. :cool: I like your 5 window BTW.

4. dan31

dan31

Are you gonna run fenders?

Spencer Caldwell likes this.
  5. that was my first thought. that coupe is a long way from the road.
    leave the rollers on there, till it is done, while keeping your eye out for a deal.

6. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

This coupe is going to be on the road in june!!! Patina and all, engine will be done soon and suspension parts will be here after i back from NC road trip next week. Everyone told me to get it on the road and thats what i am doing. The car has all the parts of a great car just need rebuilt. Tires were a deal from a fellow hamb and i needed rollers anyway the other tires wouldn't hold air. This car will have no fenders. I am college student so this will be a budget build at its finest. Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

8. john walker

john walker

Well, the old ones were too wide for the wheels= handling issue. The new ones fit the wheel better.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I always buy tires and wheel first. I base my build on the stance and size of the tires and wheels. They control so many things about the build. So what if I use them for building and have to buy a new set when it comes time to drive it! I know it was built with a plan from beginning to end. I don't wing it. Plan it before you start it! The choice of tires is purely subjective, if it makes you smile when you walk up to it they are right. If you question them when you walk up to it they aren't right and will bug you every time you look at them.

SPark

Just Gary and Spencer Caldwell like this.
  10. Spencer: These cars have HUGE wheel wells and need tall tires. I think you'd like it better with tall ones unless you can lower the back a lot.

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

8.20-15 tires and a heavy channel

12. I refuse to start a chassis project without the wheels and tires first.
    Yes if it's a forever build they can be out of date before it sees the road.
    They aren't supposed to be that way.
    Cough cough

Just Gary, LM14 and Spencer Caldwell like this.
  13. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

Thanks guys really appreciate all the advice. The tall ones made the car look mean. These once make her look like a classy broad. I think i am going to use them for a roller and then when she is ready for the road in june cough cough...i am going to order some bigger ones because everytime i walked out into the garage before i would smile. Now i am like wtf. Is it cool or ewww. You guys definetly have a point. It should make me smile!!!

14. Welp, first off, I'd HAVE to bring the back end down with the wheels/tires you'll be running. Then, with only a pinky finger of clearance, I'd either get some wheels with more positive offset, flip the centers on your present wheels or score a pair of 1" wheel spacers.
    This is the way I like my 33 five windows.
    My opinion only. 34rear3_4ths2016.jpg

15. Spencer Caldwell

Spencer Caldwell

That is what i like!!! She is purty!!!

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Remember, if you build with the wrong tires as your templates:

You will have the wrong rake, caster, ride height, fenderwell clearance......unless you are building on a chassis plate with adjustable ride height when finished.

SPark

Just Gary likes this.
  17. 392

Wheels and tires first is a must.

Just Gary and Jeff Norwell like this.
  18. What's the tire sizes Rocky?
    What's to diameter of the rear to give Spencer a better idea while shopping.

19. Yep

Just Gary and Spencer Caldwell like this.
  20. My tire sizes are:
    Fronts. Firestone "560" in 145/15 and
    Rears..BFGoodrich 285/70R15 from Coker tires. Fronts are about 24" and rears are 30.5" tall

21. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

How wide of a 16" tire will fit between the frame and a stock fender on a '34 Ford coupe?
    Will a 265/75/16 fit? I am worried about the 10.6 section width.

22. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Not sure about a coupe, but (there's that word) I had to do a little mini tub work on my sedan to fit 235/70/16.

23. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Rocky has it right. His rear tires match the body wheel arch perfectly