Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zips risers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, Mar 1, 2018.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Folks running zipw risers--is the finished water pump location the same as the long or short pump application?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

3. The Zips riser uses a 6 cylinder water pump. HRP

4. Five inches center to center higher than the stock location.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Well that was vague. Lol. I know it uses a 6 cyl pump and moves it up 5 inches. I think krylon got what i was after. How far does t he finished pump stick out. Comperable to standard short pump, standard long pump or something else entirely?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Would a picture help? The one on the right. Lol
    [​IMG]

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Straight up 5.125".

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I get the height. I'm trying to judge forward and aft placement of the engine. Have enough room for sbc with short water pump. Not for sbc with long water pump. Want to make sure zip will clear radiator before ordering

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done one on my 32 pickup and one on my new 5 window and used standard short pump pulleys on both. It does not stick further forward than a standard short pump in the stock location.

falconsprint63 likes this.
  10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Thanks for the reconfirmation krylon. That's what i needed.

11. Just to back up Gary's comment since he doesn't do pics, here's one where I changed out the cheesy aluminum pulleys for a stock set.......... 003.JPG 011 (2).JPG

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just be sure you get the water pump that they say to get. I'm thinking that there are a couple of different options on those things depending on original application.

13. Hey Uncle Bob,
    Do you know what water neck and upper hose that was used on the car? Trips and a zips leaves little room, especially With the oil fill tube.

14. Yeah, the water neck and carb are a real problem. If you look at the pic closely you'll see the carbs are on risers which gives the float bowl clearance (Offy 5759). The water neck is one of those "billet" rotating kind so a variety of hose shapes could work (I hate the ribbed donkey dick type). For the hose, upper Napa 7240. With all the variations of water neck GM made there might be a nice one that swings out side ways, though might make for a snakey hose routing, but I haven't taken the time to research that.

15. I got into that front Carb to thermo housing issue a while back also. I used The 3/8" thick carb gaskets for just a bit more space and one of these. Worked fine for my application.
    shopping.jpg The Wizzard

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^Where did you find that offset neck?

17. That is a standard item to clear the Blower Drive on small blocks. Several Co's make them and prices very a lot from one to another. So does the Quality.
    The Wizzard

18. Using search someone mentioned an aluminum pump that's out there.

19. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

aluminum water pump with flow cooler disc AutoZone BWP-386-HDA, gates hose 20225 lower, 20046 upper, air bleeder dorman 902-112

catdad49 and falconsprint63 like this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Auto Zone has the aluminum pump under the listing of a heavy duty pump for AC equipped I-6cyl Chevys of the late 60s &up. You have to get someone on the store computer that knows how to look for it.
    The late Deuce Roadster informed me of it and I'm using one with good success. Do a search, maybe it's still listed in one of the old posts.
    The one I got I did have to spend a lot of time hand filing with a very coarse square file to get the as cast heater hose outlet down to correct size. You almost have to use that outlet for the bypass hose from there to the water outlet back between #6& #8 cylinders in the head unless you're running a heater, but then you'd still need it for the heater, I think.

21. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

catdad49, deuceman32, 48stude and 2 others like this.
  22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

^^^^^^^^ winner, winner, chicken dinner. I am using this, came from mid 80s truck or van I believe.

23. WACKDADDY ; That right there is a very good find! I have never seen that one before and now have one on the way. Thank You.
    The Wizzard

24. Someone have a part number for that?

25. It's in the link right above the picture.

26. Thanks Uncle bob for the info before and there. (don't know how I missed that) :)

And Thanks Gateman and Wackdaddy for your info also.

Uncle Bob likes this.