Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Los Angeles trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. fargoguy

fargoguy

So I have to be in LA for some training from the 13-16 of March. I will have Friday Evening and Saturday the 17th free to see some hot rod sights. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will have a rental car so will be able to move around. I also need a Exhaust Manifold for my 65 Ford 352- any suggestions as to where I might find one? It would save me big money on shipping and duty if I could just pick it up. Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

3. Not much going in your time frame. Any chance your employer would let you stay a little longer and pay the hotel and car rental? No events but you might hit a few of the local attractions.

Charlie Stephens

4. squirrel

squirrel

I'll be there too, in Pomona....at the high school robotics competition :)

I hope to get a chance to visit the NHRA museum while I'm in town.

Special Ed likes this.
  5. Likely the same place!
    Isn't the robotics event at the Sheraton? The NHRA museum is practically right next to it.

squirrel likes this.
  6. I'd suggest the Peterson Museum on Saturday
    Lookie here: https://petersen.org/
    There really aren't that many things happening anymore. Today it's raining and cold!
    Take a look at the link Special Ed posted, the SoCal Car Culture has pretty much everything.
    Stay out of Hollywood, nothing there except crime.
    Venice isn't worth blowing a day.
    Get on the web and plan.
    Redondo Beach Pier is fun , Santa Monica too. IF you want the beach.
    Battleship Iowa in Long Beach is COOL!:
    https://www.pacificbattleship.com/
    The Nethercutt Collection is outstanding:
    http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/
    It's in Sylmar.
    Good luck, but realize Los Angeles is HUGE, it takes time to get to anywhere.
    WHERE are you staying?

7. toml24

toml24

Southern California places to visit, (2018 update). They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it. Very close to LAX Airport.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

Autobooks-Aerobooks bookstore. 2900 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA. 91505. Outstanding selection of automotive and aircraft books. Closed on Sunday & Monday.

Irwindale Speedway. 500 Speedway Drive. Irwindale, CA. 91706. Freeway off ramp is Live Oak Ave. Starting March 10th, every 2-weeks on Saturday night there is NASCAR short track racing with 5 different divisions on the paved ½ mile & 1/3 mile oval track. On-track autograph session and freebies at 5:45PM, racing at 7:00PM. Great entertainment. $15.00 plus $5.00 parking.

Also at Irwindale Speedway, NHRA drag racing every Thursday night starting February 15th on the 1/8 mile drag strip, starting at 5:00PM until 10:00PM. $10.00 to watch and FREE parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

The Habit Burger Grill. Great burgers and the best shakes on earth!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FG,

The 13-16 of March is in the middle of the week, so traffic is only bad during 7-9 am and 4-6 pm on most freeways (work traffic) We like, during the week, adventures as the mid day traffic is almost nil...I know LA traffic and all. But, traveling during those off times will allow you to go all the way across the whole LA Basin and maybe down to the ocean.

While you are here, all of the above places those guys mentioned are pretty cool. Let me add one that I mentioned to
    judgeyoung
    upload_2018-2-27_18-14-19.png
    When he and his family visited So Cal around Feb 13th.

Jnaki
    Have fun visiting So Cal... There have been some pretty awesome ocean, Catalina Island, city light sunsets between the rain storms.

FROM FEB 13-14 POSTS:

Hey JY,
    So, as long as you are near LAX at 9:00 am, you might want to take this drive as described on the list below. LAX, Santa Monica, Malibu, Pt. Mugu, Encinal Canyon to Mulholland Highway, to Topanga, to Santa Monica and LA Petersen Museum, all in a 3 hour drive. We have taken this road trip a few times along Mulholland. It has been depicted in movies and books in all sorts of stories.

But, the coastal drive from Santa Monica to PT. MUGU is one of the best in So Cal, it never gets old. We have driven it a million times to and from other So Cal cities, the latest being during Thanksgiving weekend. Here is the best example of this great drive.

Take your time as the scenery is the typical So Cal coastal and mountains. Be careful on Mulholland Drive. We, So Cal drivers aren’t all a bunch of tailgating clods…

Jnaki

It is a fun drive, beautiful scenery and now, after finishing it, you can say you experienced So Cal at its finest. Have fun: any questions, pm me… Your phone GPS should show you the way. But, double check, before you leave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a fun So Cal drive and relax, you are on a mini vacation...
    Click open the two attachments for list 5-10 and the overall route map directions.

Attached Files:

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think it is at the same place. The Fairplex. According to google maps, I have to travel 3 feet to get from one to the other.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  10. fargoguy

fargoguy

Thanks for the great suggestions- i'll let you know how it goes!