Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another Edelbrock Carb Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Not knowing the whole skinny, engine/trans.,rear...I'm going with intake, I'll bet your plugs are black... As mentioned that intake is doing Nothing for you before 2500-3000, which means your fuel is not atomizing Anywhere near "happy" before said rpm...

2. Edelbrock 2101 or 2701 Manifold. would both work well with your Carb.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Move the accelerator pump rod up a hole or two and see what happens.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  4. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Couple times now suggested to move rod on accelerator pump so since it was in the middle hole I moved it up. Took a short test drive and it DID seem to help some!
    That may be telling me that it is running too lean on acceleration, right? Maybe then the tune up kit could help out alot. If not then a different intake manifold would do the trick as you guys suggested.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You could try a 4 hole spacer under the carburetor if you have the hood clearance.
    Don't give up on that intake yet. ;)

Greaser Bob likes this.
  6. earlymopar

earlymopar

Bob. I see where you keep wondering about lean versus rich conditions. One good method is to warm up your engine and drive up medium grade hill at steady speed in high gear for 1/2 mile or so and then pull over quickly and shut off the engine. Pull a spark plug and check the color. You'll quickly know where you with your carburetor. Just make sure you don't have "sooty" or fouled plugs to begin with.

- EM

Hollywood-East and Greaser Bob like this.
  7. Edelbrock Calibration Kit for 1406= #1487

Greaser Bob likes this.
  8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now you need to see what spring is under the power piston....this is the one that controls the primary metering rod.
    A heavier spring will bring in the power side of the jet quicker that will help fill the large intake.
    The other most important thing is to get the ignition system spot on. ;)

mad mikey and Greaser Bob like this.
  10. I see something in the photo that may help and is simple to try, switch ports on the carb to passenger side with your vacuum advance for the distributor .

11. rgdavid

rgdavid

Swade41, why, what will that do ?

12. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Edelbrock recommends using driver side for full time vacuum.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

You did put the big jets in the front?

14. It'll make the vacuum advance come in depending on engine load instead of always being advanced with the ported vacuum.

15. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I had it on the passenger side to begin with. Still falls flat on it's face when trying to accelerate though.

16. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I'll get the tune-up / metering kit next month and then post here how it went.
    Thanks so much guys!

swade41 and Boyd Wylie like this.
  17. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Got the kit for a birthday gift a couple days early!
    Started with going one metering rod thinner and tried that. Still sputtered on passing acceleration. Then went from the stock yellow spring to the softer blue one.
    Man what a difference!
    I'd say I'm 95% better now, and so much more responsive. I think this intake really likes the extra fuel!
    Ran out of time today, so will try an even thinner metering rod this week. So it looks like I'm well on my way to nirvana. And thank's to all who helped me out!

swade41, mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  18. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Well since I still had an off idle stumble, today after reading the manual again -I changed to the strongest metering rod Spring. Stumble gone, lack of power gone, idles great in park and drive at stop light, all-together wonderful ride!
    I really do want to thank you guys again for all the help, ideas, and informative responses.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    swade41, saltflats and Hollywood-East like this.
  19. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Success!had to do the same thing on a ot truck with the same carb.good job

Greaser Bob likes this.