Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford Prices!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, Feb 22, 2018.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Those prices are correct maybe even a little high on the middle one
    What do you think they should be worth ??

The last one is the best one of the bunch ... it survived the 80s 90s ugly that the other 2 did not

LOU WELLS and verde742 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Those are obvious scams, I would suggest flagging those ads for removal rather than posting links here for one of our members to possibly getting scammed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The top and bottom links are scam. Lack of pics and weird dollar amounts are the give away. Plus pics are too staged for a typical CL seller.
    The middle one might be legit.

LOU WELLS, slim38, 40FORDPU and 2 others like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put em here so members would be aware of them. My statement about prices was tongue in cheek. From where I sit these are all scams. Happy to flag em as well. Evidently the smiley face didn't convey that...

LOU WELLS and Budget36 like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

we should always flag em as soon as we see them, I always do. It may save some poor gullible sob from being ripped off

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I flagged 2 of the 3 ads. The one at $20k MAY be legit so I left it alone.

slim38 and Moriarity like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with GordonC, I'm not convinced that the red one is a scam. It doesn't read like a scam, which the others do. I'd hate to knock someone's good deal ad down if I wasn't sure.

The interior is hideous and I don't love the 80's wire wheels but if that's a real ad, it could be a really good deal for someone, with a different interior and some wheels and a once-over, that could be a really great car.

There is ZERO chance that the price on that bottom one is "correct". Zero.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  9. I would agree that at least two out of three are scams. The Red one may be a legit ad. Can't say that it's the case here, but often things like S-10 frames or poorly executed GM clips aren't mentioned until you press the owner for details on the phone. Dated interiors, poor or deteriorating paint jobs may not be obvious in pictures, not to mention half-assed suspension modifications. Personally, I feel that prices for '40s have "moderated" a bit in recent years. That said, well executed examples still seem to command large dollars.

10. dudley32

dudley32

Be careful...there's been a lot of cars for sale on the Fayetteville craigslist recently that appear to be scams

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I'm always leery when the text of an ad starts out with the "history" or "design" of the car like it was taken verbatim from some publication somewhere. It often starts out like, "During the war years automotive production shut down for the war effort" or " Eugene Gregorie was working as a designer at Ford Motor Company.". It just always seems a little too contrived. Legitimate ads should get right to the details of the car in the ad. If they are particularly vague, it's usually a red flag for me.

LOU WELLS, lothianwilly71 and i.rant like this.
  12. Stooge

Stooge

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The first one and third one are scams for sure.
    Odd prices and guess the core thing the scammers do ?
    NO LOCATION or phone number !
    They always have to have you reply through CL and I'm sure the Dead husband story and working through Ebay billing services or send a Money order through Walmart BS stories pitch.

The second Red one - I'm leaning towards legit.
    Guy leaves his name and phone number and location.
    While not 100% fool proof - seems more regular than the obvious scammers BS cosmetic scam ads.

Either way - be real careful fellas.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Saw a 1930 Model A coupe on Portland Craigslist that looked real nice with yellow wires, all stock, for $9000. Put 1930 Ford Model A in the search engine and saw the same car listed in West Virgina.

15. My take from this, is that it's prudent to Google any car ad you plan to respond to!

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

For that price I’ll take 3 of the black one.

17. pitman

pitman

Couple of years ago...(like 4) Model A's lost their 'sales value,' so a seller settled for what was accepted $.

18. CME1

CME1

These same ads have been listed in our local CL, (the yellow '40 & black '40), I answered both ads to try to get more info and where the cars were located. The reply was , the person wanted my email address and he would reply. He would not reply through the CL listing. He also would not give me a phone number. Sounds like a scam ! This same ad format for too good to believe prices has been showing up on the local CL daily!

19. Crocodile

Crocodile

While the yellow one screams scam, looking at the way that the hood, door and trunk lid fits (especially in the legitimate ad that was linked), maybe it shouldn't be all that much higher in price,

20. Squablow likes this.
  21. ^^^^^^picture^^^^ 00P0P_ch7b7McUG5K_600x450.jpg