Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford 3 Window with 389 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ken The Coug, Feb 16, 2018.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

A later model Pontiac does not bolt up the same as this one.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Ok guys here are some pics of the engine. Found a long nail and a oil pan screw inside the engine. I did not find any obvious damage or broken parts. Rods were straight no random pieces of broken metal. Other than a 4 inch long nail under the piston. Not sure either part I found were in engine when it ran. I found another shop that sounded more interested in re building this engine if possible. g10.jpg g9.jpg g8.jpg g7.jpg g6.jpg g3.jpg G1.jpg g5.jpg

Attached Files:

• g5.jpg
      g5.jpg
      File size:
      123 KB
      Views:
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      122.2 KB
      Views:
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That doesn’t look so bad ! I would clean everything up and rering and bearing it.

4. That one cylinder that is rusty could be an indicator that the head gasket let go and it may have just hydrolocked the engine with coolant then it was parked afterwards with the thought that something broke internally. The fact that the combustion chamber in the corresponding location is decarbonized would make this very likely. No explaination for the nail other than maybe someone was trying to find TDC and accidently let it fall in. Looks ok so far. Does the crank turn?

catdad49, AmishMike and loudbang like this.
  5. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Crank does not turn

loudbang likes this.
  6. Well that's probably due to the rusty cylinder, you could soak it to try and free it up, but if it's getting rebuilt, then it doesn't really matter other than keeping labor costs down if you can unstick it yourself.

AmishMike and loudbang like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see the engine isn't damaged beyond repair, that one looks like it'll be able to be rebuilt or refreshed without massive amounts of work. Definitely worth saving.

Old survivor hotrods are rare, ones that still have the original 1950's mill in them with the old speed equipment on them are even more rare, well worth rebuilding.

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Love this thread... I would soak the rusty cylinder with tranny fluid An a splash of lacquer thinner for a few days ish, an start tapping here an there...I know I'm not the only one? Little lube on the others would be good also, I honestly believe You can get this loose if you don't get in a hurry, even if you break a ring, You might be surprised what a hone will do, Awesome! This engine, You probably can reuse pistons also

Tap piston wood or brass, aluminum... From driver side to pass an back the other way, once it starts moving that way, give a lil' love front to back.. if that makes sense, Ginger not like your first Time, You will be surprised
    You have to see the pistons Loose/ moving in the bore, before you Jump on a pry bar to "Break" loose

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  9. That doesn't look bad at all.
    I'd soak the rusty hole down or all of them with atf and acetone mix for a few days.
    Long bar and gentle force to get the crank to turn.
    Turn it so that piston goes down away from the top rust.
    Shouldn't be an expensive rebuild judging by what the pictures show.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Real quick like looking this Hot Rod over takes me back 32 years to when I got a 34 3W that was in much worse shape than that heirloom.
    Things were cheaper back then but not over the top cheaper.
    I elected to basically make my HR a contemporary street rod, but more of a Hot Rod in Style. The drivetrain was mostly like yours, save that mine was a 58 283 with a Cragar motor mount set up, 39 era trans, 34 Rear end. It already had a Super Bell tube axle on a Deuce Factory 4 Bar with stainless batwings. Mustang steering.
    Chrome Reversed Wheels on bias ply tires.
    In other words a basket case.

I did something that probably cost me more money that I didn’t have and sold 3 very Kool vehicles to get it on the road much later than initially anticipated. I went the 283/350-initially 8” Ford Maverick rear to a 57-59 Ford Ranchwagon 9” Rear.
    The only thing that would have really been necessary was to rebuild the front cross member that was all cracked up and totally unsafe. That would’ve been a few hours work for a competent Rod Shop like Pete & Jake’s Hot Rod Repair in Temple City, but they no longer were doing repair work and were no longer located in TC.
    Instead I blew the whole car apart, blindly went off advice of friends much older than I
    Advising me that I didn’t want all of that old junk, it’ll never be reliable. 079DA689-77BC-4016-A13A-9B6765647FF6.png B16E8D96-4380-4BFF-B6A2-957130B64B34.png A0E114E6-CDE7-44BA-94B8-8383F9488C3B.png D825B6BD-F510-41B4-A7B0-003194A9569B.jpeg
    The car I built was not was the car I bought, but I did eventually have many miles of fun in it and did the 1st ever R&C Americruise 366DC209-7469-404B-AE74-07C23FEC4C56.png
    Making tons of memories and having loads of building experience with that car.
    I sold the driving version of that car,but kept mostly everything that I got with it drivetrain wise which parts perform their functions in other Hot Rods. That 283 is still in my possession all these years later awaiting its turn to do time in 34 3W’s frame that I bought 25 years ago to replace the one that I let go.
    I call this one my retirement project.

Moral of all of these words is use as much of that car as it is that you can afford to and drive the wheels off of it. ;). !!!!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Well, well...another guy with a Pontiac in a Ford. Mine's a '57 motor in a 34 ford...see avatar.
    I'm with these guys regarding keeping a Pontiac motor in your car but if it's going to need everything or if the engine has broken/cracked block, heads, trashed crank etc I'd go with a 1959 or a 1960 Pontiac engine. They bolt up exactly the same as your 55 engine and parts are cheaper. Plus they look the same externally but they came with 389 cubic inches and they make a ton 'o power. Your 3 carb setup will also bolt up to the 59-60 engine.
    But, if you find the 287 is basically ok, I'd use it. Not a serious tire shredder but a good choice for a light car. Plus, I've killed those early ford transmissions like yours with a stock 85 hp flathead engine. Maybe it'd be a better choice if keeping the present transmission and rear axle. Either way, it's a killer car and very valuable. Look in the classifieds for 32 ford 3 window coupe and you'll see.
    If keeping the 55 engine, be advised it's the only Pontiac V/8 that uses adjustable rocker arms and the stock rocker nuts are locking type but after removing and installing them they loose their locking feature. I'd replace them with chevy V/8 "poly lock" nuts. And double check all the original rocker arms for wear and cracks...very common.
    Get an old 55 Pontiac shop manual or a "Motors manual" to learn valve settings. You'll need it for the rest of the engine.
    My '57 motor. I went with an 11.75" clutch Muncie 4 speed and a Winters quick change rear. Click on the image to make it bigger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Again, I concur. Looks as good the the 316 my buddy did. Soaked the piston, tapped, got them loose, honed, put in rings, put it back together and good to go again.

13. I'm not a Pontiac guy but you may have
    a real Pontiac performance engine.
    In '57 and I think '58, Pontiac offered a factory
    tri-carb set up on their engine. It was higher HP
    than the normal, and is a rare piece.
    Just some foggy info.
    I don't know what it was called or coded.
    Olds also had one, called J-2.
    Your engine looks rebuildable for sure!

14. Yes! My Olds was stuck like chuck but a little persistence got it freed up and now it’s running after sitting for 52 years. I wouldn’t tear yours down any further until I heard it run...

Runnin shine, loudbang and Chris like this.
  15. I did end up doing a valve job as I had some rusty valves but I didn’t do anything below other than clean it up. Yours looks better than mine did! BC691DAA-240D-4BE2-90E9-D5E1DB1CDC49.jpeg 01665E2B-D939-493F-94FC-E1A143DDE88D.jpeg

Tim, kidcampbell71, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  16. That's good news, so it's not blown up!
    There's a certain type of nostalgia from having the exact same engine in there that your pop put in-

What are these other shops quoting you? And what's there anticipated return time?
    My machine shop has a few different levels of return time. Based on what I tell him they vary from : "they guy is walking and my shop is clogged up till youre finished", "We're going racing this weekend", "ASAP" , "when you can", and all the way down to "I'm in no hurry". Basically "when you can" is short term storage and "I'm in no hurry" is long term deep storage. In extreme emergency I can pull the "I need it right now" but I need to bring beer and pizza too.

loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  17. I'd nearly bet money that you can free that up and get it running.

kidcampbell71, shivasdad and cactus1 like this.
  18. FlatJan

FlatJan

if it was a flatty i would check it for cracks before going further. Had one that looked like that in one cylinder=> cracks=>scraped it :(

loudbang likes this.
  19. AmishMike

AmishMike

Agree with above - easy rebuild. See no rusty open valves but while parked open valves can kill valve springs - replace. Also looks like rust on couple valve lobes running will wear lobe & lifter, replacing may be good idea. Get it running & enjoy

loudbang likes this.
  20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Are you done yet.

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I see you're in Mill Creek, I'm nearby in the Maltby area, if you need help identifying what you have for suspension and other components, I can be available to take a look.

F&J, kidcampbell71, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  22. That's a great offer!
    Wish I were closer to do the same

loudbang likes this.
  23. murpa

murpa
    from .

I want to hear it Run ! Get R done !

loudbang likes this.
  24. carbking

carbking

A great reference book on Pontiac engines was written by Pete McCarthy. Don't remember exact title, and too lazy to go get mine, but something like "Pontiac Performance, 1955-1979". Paperback, and last time I checked, still in print. Don't pay the get-rich-quick prices on ebay.

Jon.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  25. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Quick update. Soak tap tap tap. repeat........Find better stick to tap... Not sure how I did it but I splashed that crap right in my mouth... tastes like whoop ass. I feel like a FBI interrogator with Dad with all the questions (FBI=Ford Building Idiot) I think I found a local shop to work with, met the owner and the engine builder. This place is old school and is like walking into 1972. They let me tour the shop and wow, neat, organized and not politically correct. A guy could spend hours just looking at the walls. They had 4-5 hotrods and or street rods including a couple 32's.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check your PM's

27. East to get carried away,
    I don't tap more than 2 taps on each piston per day. And lightly Keep the cylinders full and let her soak

loudbang and Hollywood-East like this.
  28. Another local chiming in here. I'm just down by northgate mall. If you need any help bench racing, tracking down original parts(I have metric shit tons of ford bits) or someone to talk you off the ledge, I'd be happy to help!

Great car. Don't fuck it up. Don't change a thing.

F&J, kidcampbell71, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  29. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

you found the Rite place!!!! F'n Awesome!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

You Are on the Rite path to Something... Ridiculously Kool, We All wish we could Be there, I'm 2800 mls. Away, But wish I was there... I Believe by now with these posts....You know what's"Up".... Carry-on

loudbang likes this.