Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will this remote filter work on Ford flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ritzy1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Will this remote filter work in place of the original head-mounted by-pass filter canister on a '48 59A-B?

http://www.otbgear.com/Cast-Finned-Remote-Oil-Filter-Assembly-P144.aspx

Drilled and tapped for 3/8" oil line fittings.
    *Oil flow is from right to left when facing the product.
    *Filter Details: Compact design, full flow, anti-drain back valve, internal by-pass valve @16PSI, max flow rate 7-9 GPM, micron rating 21, burst pressure 360 PSI.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Sure. Are you planning a partial flow system like stock, or a full flow conversion? If you are using a partial flow make sure to install a restrictor at the "in" port on the filter. I think the hole size should be 1/16", but you may want to ask around to confirm that.

3. If you use this in by-pass mode (partial flow) you will not get the same degree of filtration as a filter that is intended for by-pass mode. The micron rating is much higher on full flow filters, therefore larger particles will get past the filter.

4. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm a bit confused because it states "full flow" but also says "internal by-pass valve". I want to plumb it just like the stock by-pass filter. I'm struggling to find a away to mount the original canister on the new finned Edelbrock aluminum heads, so am looking for alternatives without going the 95%/100% filtration route. The machine shop prefers that I use bolts rather than studs, but they've proven to be elusive.

5. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

It's a regular FORD/MOPAR style filter that are all full flow until they start to clog up and then when there is 16 PSI of back pressure an internal bypass valve gradually opens allowing unfiltered oil flow. Without the internal bypass valve the engine would get little to no oil when the filter is clogged.
    GM engines typically have their bypass valve in the filter mount separate from the filter.
    There's no problem using it with the factory style partial flow filtering except it WILL need a restrictor as mentioned before otherwise without the restrictor a lot of the oil pump volume will go straight back to the pan and deprive the engine of that volume (ie; LOW oil pressure).
    I used an OEM GM Blueflame style FRAM filter that was originally mounted onto the engine with U bolts, removed the U bolts and then mounted it to the firewall and adapted original Flathead plumbing etc.

6. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

Internal by-pass valve in this case is protection for a restriction in the filter

7. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

you could mount the remote filter on the firewall?

8. Raunchy

Raunchy

I like the Bee Hive or Hilbebrandt style that hide the filter. Honest Charlie's, Speedway and Summit sell them among others.