Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New vs. Old Cragar S/S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

The Cragar wheels on my 1963.5 Ranchero are rare 13x5.5 manufactured in 1971.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When purchased, two were NOS and still in unopened boxes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

What a Score! Love the Stance/Look.

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I guess I'm slipping, I thought Cragar had a flat spoke version back in the 60s also..

I've seen peeled ones sand blasted and painted Argent Silver and they looked great..

In my area they always peeled or pitted even the ones from the sixties, salt and rain I guess..

4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old style flat spoke ones were called the GT. I believe they were made in a chrome or painted version. The SS was made in either chrome or polished center.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  5. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

FB_IMG_1461775532741.jpg FB_IMG_1465168441043.jpg
    One of each on my dad's '55

mgtstumpy, blowby and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You might be thinking of AP's ( Appliance Plating) wheels, they had a much flatter spoke. I've seen numerous AP's with Cragar center caps also.
    Now that you've jogged my memory; any time I saw AP's they made me think of model car wheels as they had that slight lip on the edge of the spoke like those wheels you twisted off the model cars' chrome tree that always needed cleaned up.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. I may be showing my age but I think all these funky new wheels just suck. I like the Cragar wheels and the chrome reversed wheels the best. Bruce.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, that was a dumb move, like when Coca Cola decided to change their 100 yr old winning formula to the "new Coke". Too many cooks that can't leave anything alone.

9. The ones from the '60s are the worse for peeling. The process for plating aluminum was still trying to work itself out.

Back in the '90s I ran into a guy at a large car show that had some that looked new but the centers were polished instead of plated. I asked him if that was some sort of new wheel with Crager center caps. He told me that they were actually old originals that he had refurbished for his car. I guess there was a place up north that was re-rimming them. The rims were new chrome rims and he opted to polish the centers instead of plating them.

He said that the cool thing was that you could take any mismatched set and had many options for rim width and offset.

Seemed pretty cool to me.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy the things you can remember when you're memory gets jogged.
    In 1971 when I put Cragars on my 57 my neighbor (older) apparently got a little jealous and ordered a set for his 69 Firebird convertible, he took them to the local tire shop to get mounted and they broke the centers out of ALL FOUR OF THEM.:eek:
    He took them to small claims court and the judge asked if he had any photos of them prior to mounting and of course he didn't...........he then threw the case out of court.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. I started a Facebook group for vintage mags and one of the members posted this, he didn't have the black rims out for this photo but the silver one is called "sparkler" and his photo was picked by Cragar to be in a calendar. cragar.jpg
    Vintage Mag Wheels.. Show/Buy/Sell/Trade

12. IMG_20180414_203951166.jpg Stopped a a friend's shop yesterday. His '57 has a very well preserved set.

13. That's a 275/60, probably the widest tire that fits under a tri five without spring relocation. IMG_20180414_204020768.jpg

enloe, blowby and mgtstumpy like this.
  14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have had Cragar wheels on probably a half dozen cars of mine but now I am sort of tired of them. I'm thinking of just going with chromed reversed wheels instead. The wheels offered now days are just butt ugly and I don't, won't, do billet anything. 20171023_110749.jpg 20171017_141320.jpg

Stock Racer, cactus1, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Chromed reverse would look great on that Ford.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Nice to look at, but I'd never put a set on any of my cars.... Sorry!

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  18. This orphan followed me home from the swap meet after I sold all my others. 14x4, narrowed down from a 14x6. Older gent said he had em in his GTO. Center was painted red. He only wanted five bucks. IMG_20180416_184428775.jpg

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Cragars never lasted for shit in these parts. Great looking wheels though. Wish I'd have kept the pair of 15X4's I used up front when I was straight lining.....:(

Elcohaulic likes this.
  20. Hombre

Hombre

I think that Cragar still makes both wheels both the rounded and the flatter style. I looked at the Jegs catalogue and I believe they have both styles. The difference is in the series of the wheels. The 61C series looks to be the rounder one and the 08/61 series is the flatter one. That's the way it looks anyways.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  21. 64vette1972.jpg Can't see very well but these were bought new and put on the car in '71. They look like round spokes to me but I really don't remember.

Moriarity likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-19_3-47-52.png upload_2018-4-19_3-49-3.png
    Hello,

Back in the early hot rod days, these Cragars were added to the cruisers and hot rods for their strength. When they came out to the general public, many teenagers got rid of their chrome wheels and added the 5 spoke S/S wheels. These S/S wheels added just enough splash for the custom/hot rod look. They were challenging the local favorite 5 spoke American Mag Wheels in popularity. Since the American Mag Wheels cost a lot more, the Cragar S/S wheels were gaining in sales.

Jnaki

Last November, while on vacation, there was a great example of a cool cruiser in the parking lot of our resort hotel in Goleta, CA. There was a Mercury Comet station wagon with all of the goodies that reminded me of this time past from the late 50s to the mid 60s in style and function. It was a very cool cruising wagon. The custom Comet fit the theme of the resort hotel’s “surfer style” from the 60’s. It was a great example of Cragar S/S wheels on a station wagon. The station wagon had just enough custom stuff to be a show piece of the 50s-60s theme. The S/S wheels added the final touch of the look.

upload_2018-4-19_3-49-25.png upload_2018-4-19_3-50-6.png

Ron Funkhouser and wvenfield like this.
  23. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an NOS uni-lug 15x4. I would like to find a match. Anybody??