Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gray Baskerville 1932 Ford Roadster. Any info on the details?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Feb 13, 2018.

1. IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2837.JPG IMG_2838.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_2842.JPG

Been reading a lot lately about the Baskerville 32 Roadster. One of the articles I read mentioned it had a Model A windshield but I'm not seeing it.

Also, it had that funky aluminum air cleaner lid that looked like an upside down sombrero. Where did that come from?

One article said it was painted in 75 Mustang red. Is that true?

I think that's a stock height headlight bar but I'm not sure what lights he's running. Thoughts?

Anyone know any of the interesting little details on it? Just curious about such a cool little car.

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I remember when he had it entered in the 50th Grand National Roadster Show at the Cow Palace in 1999. When he showed up, they wouldn't let it in the door because of the primer spots. He was pissed !!!!!!

3. The air cleaner looks like a spun aluminum one-off.

Fordor Ron likes this.

4. primed34

primed34

Find a copy of R&C with the '32 roadsters rod test. Exact issue escapes we right now but it was either '73 or '74.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

A local guy who grew up in the LA area told me a friend of his owned the car before Gray made it famous. I don't know the details of who did what to the car or when, but it sure is a nice '32. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

Paul Horning built the car with an Olds in it, and it became Gray’s after Horning died in an accident.
    Ron, from appearances that looks like the small block that Gray built with an eye toward clean emissions, good gas mileage and street performance all rolled into one.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Pete & Jake's did a refresh on the car in the mid 70's. There's been write ups on in Rod & Custom with the full history.

8. uncle buck

uncle buck

9. Rckt98

Rckt98

Why have the primer patches never been sprayed out in top coat? Just looks unfinished to me.
    I remember seeing the car at the Deuce 75th anniversary at the GNRS.

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Once its finished, it no longer has potential ..... not my quote. Gray maybe. Bill Burnum???

11. Because Gray ran it that way. Since he passed it has been preserved the way he ran it.

12. IMG_2847.JPG

I think I figured out the air cleaner lid. Looks like a MOON turbine wheel cover flipped upside down. Ha!

13. catdad49

catdad49

The Car is synonymous with the word "driver". I believe those primer spots were the results of the Car's daily driver status. And Yes, it is finished!!!

14. Back up for the evening crowd.

15. jim snow

jim snow

Saw the car at the Nugget in West Wendover during speed week. Primer spots and all. To a East coast kid it was reet! Miss ol dad.

16. missysdad1

missysdad1

It was never that clean when Gray had it, it was usually covered with LA smog "fallout" and the paint was pretty well oxidized. Gray parked it in "the pit" at Petersen a lot, outside and unprotected from the elements. It was truly a daily driver for him, and how he loved that car.

Baskerville  Roadster.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

One of my favorite deuce roadsters. HRM hasn’t been the same without Gray’s crazy writing style and enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

vtx1800, Driver50x, 270ci and 5 others like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why try to improve a beauty like that with all of the history connected to it and "Dad"

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

For years, Hot Rod came in the mailbox every month. And then he was gone. Love this car, and a the fun and good times it stands for.

Driver50x and Fordor Ron like this.
  20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Were it all colour coordinated it would become an almost faceless 32 roadster (another red 32.) As it is and will always be a memory of "Dad" , a time capsule of his passion .

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I believe the primered fenders kept Gray and the Roadster out of the LARS one year, and he left them that way as a reminder. Bob

22. deucemac

deucemac

I was at SoCal Las Vegas a while back and Ol' Dad's deuce was sitting on the showroom floor. I asked what it was doing there and the counter man casually replied "leaking oil I believe". If Gray had been there and said that, I am sure the statement would have been followed by that marvelous cackle of his. One of the replies in this thread mentioned his penchant for fun. Many years ago I was at El Mirage and saw Ganahl sitting on the tail gate of his '56, fiddling with his camera. This was when they were both working at Peterson. I asked him where Gray was and he pointed at the course. Sure enough, there's Gray standing 10 feet from the center of he course taking pictures as the cars are entering the lights. I looked at Pat, he shrugs his shoulders and said "He's braver than I am" If there was an event we were both attending, we always managed to laugh and swap lies if only for a few minutes. Every time I see that patchwork red roadster, I have bittersweet thought, glad the car is still around to remind us (Thank you Mr. Sheldon!) and sad because Ol' Dad isn't behind the wheel. I'm sure that I am not alone with those feelings.

23. catdad49

catdad49

One of the true "characters" of the hobby! His writing was always a fun read and the stories about him we're always about him having fun, That's what I miss. 'Ol Dad even had his own vocabulary!! The Roadster perfectly embodies That, Thanks for preserving it.

24. Boatmark

Boatmark

To even consider painting that car would be a crime. That car, lumps, bumps, primer spots and all, is a living embodiment of a rodding life well lived.

Gray was a great cheerleader for the hobby. Someone who entertained, informed, and reminded everyone not to take things too seriously - that it was all about fun with cars.

I wonder how many miles he rolled on those steelies over its decades on the street?

I think a testament to Gray was that although I never met the man, I was deeply saddened by his passing. I think many felt that way. Hats off to the Shelton's for understanding and preserving that car as it was.

(Thanks Ol'Dad . . It really is Sooo Bitchin!)

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

@Boatmark I can only echo your sentiments

Gray's writings were lyrical, humorous and very descriptive all at the same time.

I often wonder what Rodders Journal would be like if he was a contributor, or Hop Up, for that matter

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  26. I see it tooling around Boulder City maybe 1-2 times a year.

It's an icon of our hobby/lifestyle.

27. It is in the best hands it could possibly be in. Jim is the perfect caretaker.

Mick

Driver50x, deucemac and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Always enjoyed his articles and stories.He is sure missed here.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Ol Dad and his roadster is what attracted me to this hobby. Mr. Shelton thanks for taking care of the roadster as you have. A lot of us will never be able to see this hot rod and would appreciate photo of it in something like a build thread. Better close ups if you will. A you tube video would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again........

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.