Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocket Powered Volkswagen!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benzine440, Apr 30, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fucking nuts...how would you describe that thing passing you on the freeway at 0200? duuuude your not going to believe this...

2. Bugman

Bugman

Nice concept and a very clean and well done install, but I bet it never see's a dragstrip or land speed course :(

3. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

man, I was thinkin' olds rocket power, like 455 rocket, not top gun rocket.

4. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Cool, still think a jet powered 61 caddy would be coolest

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

I like the Turbonique Powered Bug a lot better...

6. Bugman

Bugman

You by chance have a vid clip of that, or know where one could be found? I've been trying to find one for awhile with no luck :(

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I saw that last pic on a Ebay listing.

8. He had that at the Detroit Autrama in March.I talked to him for awhile.I don't know which is nuttier;him or the car! It does have some really serious work done to it.Whatever floats your boat I guess.

9. flynstone

flynstone

he had it at pomona roadster show clms you have to open sunroof in order for the rocket to breath............

10. Bugman

Bugman

I'd believe it. It take a whole lot of air to generate 1100 HP. Something that size spooling up would suck the air out of the cabin in no time.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

And that's suposed to be impressive?

If it was designed right, it would have a real intake...

All it is right now is a new Car with a oversize fartcan exhaust.

Pretty stupid...

The Black Widow looked better than that ( even after crashing...)

12. BigJim394

BigJim394

I read a book in the 70s about hopping up Bugs and the author commented on building a really radical high horsepower motor for a Bug. He said it might be OK for dragstrip use, but a VW going more than 110 miles an hour, for a sustained period of time, begins to more resemble a plane trying to take off, than a car ar speed. Having taken a few highway rides in hopped up VWs at 100 plus, I can attest that the front end gets lighter and lighter the faster you go. Must be the full belly pan type "frame".

13. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i bet the intake could suck your shirt off

im suprised the stock brakes hold that thing still

14. PaulH

PaulH

This one has an even bigger engine. Seen a few weeks ago at Santa Pod:[​IMG]
    Engine is around 9 feet long, and the driver sits just to one side of it. It's road legal, as seen by the license plate, and is owned by 'Rocket' Ronnie Picardo who has a whole fleet of jet vehicles including a jet GMC and jet Kenworth aswell as a wheelie Corvette and a new wheelie pickup named 'Little Blue Wagon'.

15. i want one!:D

16. Bugman

Bugman

It's because the body shape acts like an airfoil. The whole car gets very light, you just notice it more in front.

17. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Ah shit, from the title I was hoping it was about the Olds Rocket powered bug that ran around Milwaukee in the late 50's!

18. I don't know about body shape but the underside of the olds VWs are flat metal pans, with very little to break up the air. The front ends are too light. The whole weight balance is problematic. If you go fast enough the front will begin to float. I could get my stock 1969 Bug up to 85 mph (with the skinny bias ply tires) but it wasn't a comfortable or stable 85mph and if I had caught a cross wind just right I would have been upsidedown in the weeds.