Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buying an air compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Satyr, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Satyr

Satyr

I am looking at getting an air compressor for my garage. I don't have a lot of money ($300) to spend on one. It would not be seen heavy-duty usage, just when I get in a fix and need an air tool to help me out. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, even smart ass ones. Thank y'all in advance for taking the time to answer me back on this. Forgot to add that I saw these two (circled) at Harbor Freight, any imput would be a huge help. Thanks![​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You get what you pay for. In this case, a hella loud direct-drive compressor.

I'd look for a good, used US built one, from a reputable maker.

3. Search c-list for good USA made.Happy in the long run.

Satyr and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

don't do it, get a BELT DRIVE oil lubed compressor.
    You can catch new 27-30 gal on sale for 349.00 (Lowes, HD, TSC) or a used one on CL for ~200.00
    Or a 60 gal 11 CFM new on Sale 449.00 (Lowes, HD, TSC),, find one used for ~300.00 on CL
    Do NOT waste your money on a oiless direct drive.

Satyr and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Draw a diagonal line between the two you circled, look at the compressor that's at the middle of that line.

But yeah, you want the old US made version of it....

Donuts & Peelouts and Satyr like this.
  6. Satyr

Satyr

Thank you everyone for getting back to me on this it is REALLY appreciated, heading to Lowes to have a look.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And remember: BELT DRIVE! Especially if you have neighbors.

Satyr likes this.
  8. Don't forget to scope out craigs list that's where mine came from.

Satyr likes this.
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy the biggest air compressor you can at your price, or add a little to it. Commercial companies sell rebuilt units for much less than new. Shops closing, farm auctions, be creative. You'll never, NEVER regret getting a big compressor. You'll wonder how you got by without it. Belt drive? You bet your aluminum intake! Those noisy direct drive units may work for the Sunday goober filling a bike tire, but give it a workout and it'll show it's downfalls in a hurry. And that's if you and yours can tolerate the noise. You want to find old names like Quincy, Curtiss, Saylor-Beale, Champion, Kellogg, Wayne. All great pumps that can last a lifetime with proper care. Yes, new those names rank up there with the likes of Bentley or Ferrari, but used, even 40 yrs old or more they'll out perform a box store compressor 6 ways to Sunday, and do it longer. I still run a Kellogg at home, 5HP/80 gal that Dad and I bought in 1973. It was old then! Quiet, efficient, likely will never fail me, AND it spent a dozen years in commercial duty from 84 thru 95 in one of our shops. This is for everyone reading this. Maybe a wazoo big commercial will never be needed but for those who have a habit of "roll your own" it's a move you'll never regret, I promise. Me? I'm a compressor snob I guess. From 02 thru 14 I used a 10HP/200 gal setup at home with a single PH 10 HP farm duty motor. Now it's on 3 PH again here in the shop and I'm almost embarrassed to say what I have in it. Got it from a shop closing down and spent another $650 on the new 1PH motor for home. All in, 2 motors for either location, $1,350. Speedaire head, Lincoln motor, 2 tanks 80 and 120. Runs only 7 min to fill the tanks and the shop lines, cycles for 1 min 15 sec from 125 to 150. 30 sec longer if we're running the blast cabinet. GO BIG!! Trust me...

Satyr likes this.