Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quadralink install OR?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Any of you guys out there have the quadralink by Detroit speed or installed it at home?

I suppose, to inform you guys why i ask this is because im doing the rear end for the nova. i plan on draggin it mostly, but now and again for car shows id like to bring it out on the street, so im afraid or uneducated enough to know if there will be any binding issues and breaking that may occur when driving it around with a ladder system or four link. so i been rifling through forums and searching the web for info and it seems the use of the weaker frame rails will cause poor launches at the track, now the others its a full frame getup you stab under the car from most ive seen and much heavier steel or much more well built for straight launches. so im kind of wondering what a guy should do in my case. id say 80% of the time the car will be track and the rest will be cruises here and there.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. It is a solution looking for a problem.

JimBeam likes this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya she seems kind of a sweet setup but for the $$$$$ and amount of work. yikes

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I suppose, to inform you guys why i ask this is because im doing the rear end for the nova. i plan on draggin it mostly, but now and again for car shows id like to bring it out on the street, so im afraid or uneducated enough to know if there will be any binding issues and breaking that may occur when driving it around with a ladder system or four link. so i been rifling through forums and searching the web for info and it seems the use of the weaker frame rails will cause poor launches at the track, now the others its a full frame getup you stab under the car from most ive seen and much heavier steel or much more well built for straight launches. so im kind of wondering what a guy should do in my case. id say 80% of the time the car will be track and the rest will be cruises here and there.

5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Nova

6. Cal trac rear springs work really well if you've got the suspension travel up front

squirrel likes this.
  7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

BUT another has caught my eye which is the speedtech torque arm setup. im ready to pull the trigger on a rear setup i got about 4.5 5K saved up for it and taking hamb members advice with buying a ford 9" instead of building that one i got a few months back. ill be probably around the same cost of a new one vs building my own.

8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

oh whoops didnt know. sorry about that

9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Jim I got nothing for ya on this thread, but I just noticed you are in Augusta, I'm in strum, and working on a 1937 dodge pickup, and been drinking Old Milwaukee for 25 years, It doesn't get any better that this. Good luck with your project.
    Tony

Jim Lato likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Nothing better then drinking Old Milwaukee for 25 years ???????? You need to get out more! :eek::D:p

Hnstray, X38 and Jim Lato like this.
  11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

13. So how fast are planning on running this thing?
    Slick sizes?
    Cage?

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

looking at a 434 pushing some 800 hp on pump. havent really nailed down a motor yet. i got some stuff laying around i could get some decent ponies out of. my goal is always as fast as i can. once its through the media blast cage will be tig welded in. and for tire size im going to be running 15x10 weld rims with hoosier 29x13.5-15's if all goes well with this rear suspension upgrade im focusing on

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

my goal is to be low 10's from the start of testing. i may be setting my bar high..we will see once i get it dialed in the way i want it.

16. So you'll be looking at mini tubs and narrowed rear end ?

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Street cars benefit from some extra strength in key areas like main cross member, coil over mounts, etc. The hardware used is what determines how tough it'll be. Lightweight race-only stuff won't like a lot of street time and in fact have a "shelf life" for racing. Good heavy DOM stuff will hold up fine if your streets aren't like Motown and the surrounding areas. Our roads suck. Thousands of Pro Street cars (did I say that outloud?) are still running around here n there, the ones that aren't were probably shit work that broke. I know, did a lot of cars, FIXED a lot of cars. Keep it simple and you'll be fine. FWIW the highest load factor on the car? Pick one; launch or high gear in the traps?

Jim Lato likes this.
  18. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Call Kyle Tucker at Detroit Speed - he'll answer all your ??s on his products. Great customer service & support. I have their suspension under a H.A.M.B. un-friendly car.

Jim Lato likes this.
  19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

yes going to narrow it i am think to 54"

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

well the car as it is now is very heavy, i think knocking on the door of 4500lbs. i been slowly putting it on a diet to lose some LBS i was thinking coverting the front end over to a functioning fiberglass setup to shave some weight there along with the trunk lid.
    and yea around here in wisconsin alot of the roads are rough but i do have them narrowed down to "which way should i go that wont destroy my back" now "my car" lol
    just so many choices out there and im having troubles finding a applicable choice that will fit what im doing.. but i got time. just trying to get a jump on what im going to get so i can plan this car out the rest of the way. i dont want it strictly track cause yea we all want to go cruise too. but like i said id hate to take 3 steps forward and 4 steps back. but.. if it was easy everyone would be doing it lol

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

which car do you have some DSE stuff on? i have really liked their parts but on the fence about this quadralink setup cause of the price tag and hearing things about their launch since id be using the structure of my own car which would give more flex but im sure this can be tuned out with all the adjustments.. just dont want to tweek the car beyond repair or get married to the wall

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Talk to Jim Forbes, aka: @squirrel. His Chevy II runs 9's, has a blown big block, and can be, and is, driven about anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And ask him to update the DSE project page.
    BTW, if you are willing to pay a premium price, you will get a premium product.

Jim Lato likes this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

I'm putting a normal drag type 4 link in the Barracuda I'm building. I used original monoleafs and home made cal tracs in my Chevy II. It works well, been in the nines a couple times, usually in the low 10s. It's a light car, about 2700-2800. skinny tires, etc. I did not add frame connectors, just added front torque plates, and a full cage with sill bars. It doesn't launch hard, it will barely pull the front wheels. 1.50 60ft times usually.

491-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg

mgtstumpy, saltflats and Jim Lato like this.
  25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Thanks for the info squirrel, maybe I should put this cash in the motor and keep my monos on my nova, which are DSE, and slap some cal tracs in. Looks like it launches beautifully. I am a big fan of DSE stuff and I’m real interested in the quadralink. But maybe I should hold off on that for a while and maybe soup the trans up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Soup everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

and thats what i was thinking denny, they do make quality stuff. you know the saying ... you get what you pay for

28. Yep, you get what you pay for -
    But I just can't see that kind of scratch here

image.jpeg

29. squirrel

squirrel

That's a street setup, not a racing setup. Might work ok for drag racing, it might not. But it was not designed for it, from what I can see

30. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

It all boils down to proper planning and proper set up.

We have a local late 70`s stock bodied camaro with a 596 BBC street car that runs high 8`s in the quarter and he drives it everywhere. It's a simple back half job with ladder bars, no high dollar suspension just a basic set up that we tuned and played with until we found what worked and what didn't with what he already had.

Dodges ran 9`s with super stock leaf springs so sometimes the simpler you go the better off you are. Money doesn't always equate to better bite and traction.