Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I know it's wrong, but how wrong is it?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dadn5kids, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

So after 10+ years of being without a rod or project, I finally made a purchase - a 1939 tudor sedan standard model. There are several things that have been changed on it, and i'm just barely getting into the car, but I'm putting out there a picture of the front suspension at the spring shackle. I'm very much an FNG with the early Ford cars, but I do know the spring/shackle picture is wrong. What did the previous owner do here? I know they put on the tubular shocks, but as you can see, the spring is bent and has two eyes? Really, I have no idea what is the deal with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 39 Ford.JPG IMG_1437.JPG

v8paul and Stogy like this.
  2. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

Looks like they heated up the springs with a torch to lower it. The leaf spring pack has the main spring then another spring the wrapped part way around the eye. I'd replace it with a reverse eye spring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rpm56, rcrbudha, olscrounger and 3 others like this.
  3. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

replace the springs I would not drive it like that it looks like a crash in the making.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't even think of driving the car with that spring in it ! Looks like the spring was heated & bent. I would anticipate a catastrophic failure sooner rather than later.

5. I have never seen anything like that! Not sure what they were thinking...

Coggs_n'_gears, 5window and loudbang like this.
  6. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Dunno? Shackles prolly woulda been easier. But doesn't look too bad to me. Looks kinda nice in fact. Jack E/NJ

gas pumper likes this.
  7. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

I haven't driven the car, I had it transported to my house and have no intentions of driving it until I can go thru it and look at the brakes, suspension, etc. I'll take pics when I get it apart and share whatever else I find. Should be an interesting trip.

rpm56, czuch and loudbang like this.
  8. When you consider how easy it is to reverse the arc on the main springs, I find it difficult to understand why it was done that way.
    If I was uncomfortable with the spring, it would be easy to have it tested for cracks. The logic here, if it has lasted all these years and there are no cracks, then why not use it the way it is.
    Bob

VonWegener likes this.
  9. Was a common mod at one time, still wrong.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I think it is one eye with the second leaf bent up... bolt spacer looks like a second eye... still, wouldn't the second spring bind ? ...
    what about trimming the second spring leaf by an 1.5" or so on each end ?

verde742, Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Looks to me like even the spring is not the right item for that front end.
    It is very wrong and fix it correctly, whether with reverse eye or not.

czuch, lurker mick and loudbang like this.
  12. That first unbent spring looks like the end had been bent upwards as there is no clearance for when it flattens out and gets longer. Could be a nice gouge (weak spot) on the bent spring right there.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

That was standard procedure to lower one of those in the late 40's 50's and early 60's
    I saw a number of them lowered that way back then. On the front if the spring broke the car was only going to drop until the frame hit the axle. Usually the second leaf will hold it up well enough so the spring doesn't dig in the road.
    Not the right way to drop one but not quite as deadly as some imply.

rpm56, Hnstray, warbird1 and 8 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-2-10_3-26-32.png

As eluded by others its not a new phenomenon...gets em down lower so they
    handle better.

I think you have a beautiful Sedan with some traditional love...;)

There's other ways now to lower things as said so a newer replacement would be a comfort zone thing.

Jet96, Torkwrench, barrnone50 and 4 others like this.
  15. Yep, lowering 'em with a torch was pretty common 'back in the day'.... Not everybody could afford a dropped axle. And not as dangerous as some say, but still not a good thing. We know better now....

16. chev34ute

chev34ute

Suspension laws seem pretty casual in the States, that kind of thing would never be allowed over here.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Not two spring eyes; that's an illusion do to the closeness of the second main leaf to the shock eye. Leaf was bent to lower the car (both sides are this way?), and I imagine this was done a lot. Along the same lines, the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars often bent the the main leaf just before the spring eye when to short of traction bars were used; leaf was bent where the traction bars made contact. A lot of guys just left them that way. I'm also not really familiar with this style of front suspension, and the modifications that were made to them. I'm guessing it's really not that big of a deal, and there are probably better ways to lower a car with different springs. Now, if only one side is this way, then that's a different situation, and the spring should be replaced/rebuilt with a new main leaf. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy, 41woodie and loudbang like this.
  18. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The end of the third leaf is right up against the bend so there is basically no travel when the spring flexes. Chunk it and get a proper reversed eye spring. Do not try to save that one by bending it back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Hnstray, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  19. YIKES!
    Contact Nostalgia Sid's for a correct dropped axle and spring setup. He has all you'l need. Sid has helped me many times over the past few years.

20. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

That was/is the plan - a 2" dropped axle from Sid's and a standard height spring. Just enough drop to give it a little attitude. Thanks for all the great information and the history. Always interesting to read how things were done in the early years of hot rods.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I heated springs like that as a kid and it totally ruined the ride

hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with many here--seen it many times long ago. Usually ride terrible. Fix it right. Have done a bunch of 40's with dropped axles etc. They ride fine after you tune the spring a bit--usually use a stock spring and have the eyes reversed and a few leaves removed-there is a spring shop in West Sac. Hard to see but how close are the wishbones to the frame?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Stogy, verde742 and loudbang like this.
  23. But do save it and hang it on a wall. :)

warhorseracing, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Pete

Pete

Honestly that was a very common practice back in the day, iv seen tons of cars lowered that way.

25. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Can no one else see the crack?!
    Or is that a shadow from some crap on top of the spring?

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

this? Capture.JPG

alanp561, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. 392

Looks like a crack to me Good eye

28. donno

donno

So much for "Old School" methods.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We might be shocked at how many miles have actually been put on that spring and that is not the main leave so even if it broke off the only one to worry would be the guy behind the car possibly getting it in the windshield. Maybe both are cracked who knows thats why now you know have a closer look...;)

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may have failed also due to the fact that leave was not trimmed back and after years of bind while flexing in normal driving have contributed to what we see. That said it could have been like that since day 1...no one noticed or said anything.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.